3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 11:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Basic help for a beginner

neomanxl

Hi everyone,

I recently bought cs4 and just installed it on my computer. I started it up, choose all the default selections and created a sequence. I now imported a video in .avi format, however, the video will not play in the previews or anywhere else in cs4. What could be the problem?

• 1. Re: Basic help for a beginner
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You will need to furnish us with much more detail, than you have.

First, see this ARTICLE on "AVI's." There is much, that might apply, plus methods of telling what is in that AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Basic help for a beginner
            neomanxl Level 1

Thank you for showing me that link. I used the g-spot program the article provided and received some additional information about my .avi file.

For audio

codec is: 0x00ff (AAC)

additional info: 48000Hz  124 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

codec(s) installed

For video

codec:  WMV3

name: WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)

codec(s) installed

Is there any more information I should provide? I still don't see a solution for my problem.

• 3. Re: Basic help for a beginner
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Is there any more information I should provide? I still don't see a solution for my problem.

The frame size would be important. Now, with WMV's, G-Spot does not give all of the details often. I like another such utility, MediaInfo for anything but .AVI and .MPEG. For .MOV files, the Properties panel (Ctrl-j) in QT Pro does a good job. Windows Media Player also has some properties info, but the location seems to change dramatically with version number.

The frame size, the frame rate and aspect ratio will tell you which Project setting to choose. Your Project should match your media.

Another consideration: WMV files might, or might not Import into PrPro for editing. Just because one has the CODEC's to play a file, does not mean that an editing program can edit the stuff.

If you have issues, I would strongly recommend using a conversion program to convert to DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. This link to the PrPro Wiki will get you started with conversions. I use DigitalMedia Converter, but it is not freeware.

Good luck,

Hunt