12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 7:49 AM by MikeGondek

Deleted global colors

ronFX4

We get something called Deleted global colors, it corrupts the files and consisantly copies itself when you are copy and paste from one document to another. We have also noticed that we get the virus when the deleted global colors are not in the swatch palette. It is now showing up in the brushes palette.

In order to get around this we have to place the document into a new file but this screws up the groupings and the masks.  Is there a fix?

• 1. Re: Deleted global colors
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You have to do us a little favor and describe your set up Mac or PC version of illy something about the specs of your computer OS etc.

Also the other software you use and perhaps the type of work you do in general as well as what you use Illy for.

Also what about any plug ins you have or recently installed software and or fonts and any color calibrations you may have done and the software you mat have used.

I am being very specific because you are pretty vague.

My gut feeling is you have some third party software that is conflicting with Illy.

• 2. Re: Deleted global colors
            ronFX4 Level 1

No third part apps being used.  We started getting this with CS3 Mac OS 10.5, and currently on CS4 OS 10.5.  This only occurs when we import previous older versions of illustrator files from previous versions going back to Illustrator 10.

• 3. Re: Deleted global colors
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I was not specific enough do you have any third party plug ins installed? Used and installed are different in the computer world but can have the same effect when there is corruption and or conflict.

So do you have any third party software what about fonts did you do any color calibrations?

Tell us abut what you are doing so we might help point to the problem and solution.

• 4. Re: Deleted global colors
                ronFX4 Level 1

There are no plugins or speacial fonts being used.  This happens when copying and pasting or opening from older illustrator files.  Many of these files have so many differnt versions of work that has been embedded.  Anotherwords, its importing all the older swatches from these file.  Then when we select unused colors to delete, it either hangs or crashes.  Many times, imported swatches and colors could be over 1000.

Is there a way to tell illustrator not to import previous swatches and colors?

• 5. Re: Deleted global colors
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I would do this if I were you I would open in the latest version it 

could be opened without this problem and delete all the unused swatches.

Then save as, not just save and then open in CS 4.

Or I would open or place in CS 4 and do a save as right away close the 

file and reopen.

I am confident either of those methods would work.

• 6. Re: Deleted global colors
                    ronFX4 Level 1

once we place a file it automatically removes the deleted global colors---shows up in color & swatch panel stating this. The problem with always placing the file is that it alters the grouping and makes it a little more difficult to work with the file.

Your other suggesttion was to open the file in the latest version that it was created in.  Problem is that we don't know the latest version, as these files are several years old and are in the thousands.  We upgrade software & Mac's as part of industry requirements.

• 7. Re: Deleted global colors
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Open it in the last version it was successfully opened in not the last version it was created in.
                      Or tey to open it in CS 3 and then copy and paste and see if that does the trick or delete the swatches in CS 3.

But you must do a save as  not a save.

The problem is you are probably doing a save from one version to another, when it is actually important to do a save as to overwrite some of he crap from the previous version
                      and to discard some stuff that will cause problems like this one.

So go back and try to do a save as in an earlier version.

• 8. Re: Deleted global colors
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I have another idea.

Open it in CS4 do a save as close the document then open it again and delete any unused colors and do a save as close and reopen the document.

• 9. Re: Deleted global colors
                          ronFX4 Level 1

We don't know what versions they were created in.  We tried CS2 & CS3, and still have issue.  These files can go back to older versions running classic several years ago.

• 10. Re: Deleted global colors
                            ronFX4 Level 1

As I said before, we cannot delete the unused colors as it either crashes the  file, and or looses the file groupings.

• 11. Re: Deleted global colors
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

First try to save as then close the document then open the document 

and then try to delete the unused swatches.

Just try it.

Try it on a copy of the file.

Save as  close the document then open the document and then try to 

delete the swatches.

• 12. Re: Deleted global colors
                                MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ron,

Have you ever found an answer to this problem, we are getting this laso. Our tech guys says there was a plug in possibly called "Art on Path" which may have caused this on the past.

I started a new thread on this with more detail/screenshots at

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3104392#3104392

Mike