23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 1:29 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3

readysteady101

Hello, Im trying to figure out how to get different colours into different dots/dashes in dotted lines. Here's what Im doing so far. Select dotted line, go to Objects/path and click "outline stroke". When I do this I can select indivudual dots, or shift/select several, but when I try to add colout to just the selected dots, the whole line of dots fills. Can someone put me straight on what Im doing wrong. Thanks, Readysteady

• 1. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It is a compound path you have to g to Object>Compound Path>Release. then all  will be as you expect.

would you like a way to do this with the stroke being live?

• 2. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
            PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

would you like a way to do this with the stroke being live?

I would. Lay it on us.

• 3. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Dash.mov

little video it is easier for e to do a video.

And here is  screen shot that shows more specific placement on the color dash.Picture 2.png

• 4. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3

That's cool, just by adding strokes and varying the gap.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                  readysteady101 Level 1

Hello, and thanks for your reply. Im sorry to say, I cant get anything from the "clip" you posted, no sound so cant follow it. When I create a line, and dash it, then go to object/compound path, the "release" option isnt available, its greyed out. To be honest, Im really confused trying to get something from the movie clip with no sound. Can you please just explain it by the numbers. Appreciate your attempts to simplify it though, and thanks again

• 6. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Turn up your volume on your computer.

Do you have speakers and did you first select your expanded dotted line?

You have to select it first before compound paths are available, if no

artwork is available then it is gray out but if an object is select it

will be availabe.

You might want to purchase a book like real world Illustrator.

In your speaker preferences you should have it set to one of the two top settings

Picture 3.png

• 7. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The reason I am not giving you step by step instructions is because you do not seem to be thinking in a logical way and i would be back and forth on every step. So until you get a little grasp on this on your own I will show you pictures.

Picture 4.png

• 8. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                        readysteady101 Level 1

Hello. I understand your explaination about not wanting to go round in circles, but come on, give me some credit about the speakers. Im getting no sound, no problem getting sound from anything else, just the clip posted. Of course the artwork was (and is) selected, but "release" remains greyed out. Im admittedly just starting to get into this program, but you have to believe, if I say its selected and greyed out, then thats the way it is, and the same would be true of the sound. I will definitely think long and hard about posting here in the future. I waited a whole day to be advised "turn up the volume". Thanks, you been a great help.

• 9. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make a Path and stroke it with  a width of 4 points and a dash of 6 and a gap of 4. Add a new stroke to the line with a different color, same width and a dash of 0, a gap of 10, a dash of 6 and a gap of 4. It should look like this.

Picture 1.png

• 10. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3

It may be a Shockwave plug in for your browser. See if you can install an update. I won't continue to trouble shoot browser and streaming video sound issues on this fourm but your browser might be a good place to start. I don't have any issues getting the sound.

• 11. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                              readysteady101 Level 1

Great stuff Larry G, that worked out pretty good, thanks for that.

PrepressPro, have tried looking for updates as suggested, but still the same. Also, saved movie file to desktop, still no sound, but Larry G's post nailed it. Thank you, very much appreciated, Readysteady

• 12. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

it is helpful if you then mark Larry's post as the answer you were looking for as i do not keep the movie post for long.

If you ever get your sound working and the quicktime has a sound control you will learn how to alter the position of the colors to a more random order to specific dots or dashes.

However you should mark Larry's post as answered.

• 13. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

BTW Prepress sometimes i just do not bother i would have written out 

step by step given him instructions to do

some customized settings to make a more useful technique and someone 

else would have posted the same thing and he would have

jumped for joy.

So it simply had that handwriting to it,if you know what I mean.

• 14. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                    readysteady101 Level 1

Hello, I wasnt going to  reply to this post, but Im thinking what the hell. Why are you (Wade) addressing Prepress when giving an explaination (if not an apology) why you couldnt be bothered to help me, the original poster. Be honest, you were actually shamed into posting something here after the "Turn the volume up" reply you gave me. Well pardon me for thinking this was a forum were people (yes, even beginners like me) might post questions to resolve an issue or two. I didnt know I had to be a "Black Belt" in Adobe before I could hope to get a "detailed answer". Dont feel you need to reply to this post, at least not for my benefit, as I wont be back to read it. Thanks to Larry G, and Prepress for their time, and yes, assistance, Readysteady

• 15. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

readysteady101 wrote:

get a "detailed answer".

The fact that you asked for a specific format that the answer should be in is your prerogative as it is mine to answer as I see fit.

Illy is a wonderful program I hope it serves you well.

• 16. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                        readysteady101 Level 1

Hello, and yes, I know I said I wasnt going to check back in here, but couldnt resist. I know it is your perogorative to answer or not (Wade) but if you look at your answer, you said I wasnt thinking logically. How dare you, thats just plain arrogance. Larry G answered my question adaquately in a couple of short lines. Now, you can have the last word if you like (and I bet you do, you seem that sort) but the fact remains, you couldnt be bothered to answer my question, was it, or my beginners naivitee, a bit beneath you? Thanks again, you were a great help (Sarcasm)

• 17. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3

Hey ReadySteady, you don't even need to be a Brown Belt to ask questions here. I try to provide help because it keeps me thinking about new and better ways of doing things in Illustrator, and I get to help people like you. The free exchange of technical know how is what it's all about. If you got something out of this forum, Great. Perhaps you can help out by dropping in to this forum and seeing if you have some helpful input and an answer or two when others are needing help. Wade addressed me because I asked him to provide the link to the video of Dot Dash multi color technique, and he was clarifying to me, why he was or was not providing more info. None the less you gotta' give  Larry G. props. and mark his answer as the one you used. This, in and of it self gives you the opportunity to help others because they will see your question as answered. And to all the white, yellow, orange, green, purple, brown and black belts we need all of your input.

• 18. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You weren't and are not now thinking logically.

If you find a place to properly view the video you will see that I 

made the effort and made like three of four post yet you are now 

claiming I did not take the time.

You can't call that logical. Larry actually gave you only a partial 

answer to the question the subject and technique has much more to it 

and offers much more control.

He actually took only the beginning point and probably figured it was 

enough. It was based on something I had posted a few weeks ago using 

the 0 for the first dash to avoid

coloring the first dash.

But you did not ask to do that you asked to be able to add other 

colors, If you follow Larry's instruction you will not be able to do 

what you originally said you wanted to do

unless you can figure out from there how to add colors to specific 

dashes or dots, but you are not quite thinking logically at the moment 

and probably need time for it to sink in.

That is the way life is and the way Illustrator is.

So it is your prerogative to learn or not to learn and take the time 

to think it over. Or don't learn that is the great thing abut one's 

prerogative it's a free choice.

Good luck with Illustrator i hope you saved the video because it is 

gone now.

• 19. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                              readysteady101 Level 1

Hello, and apologies to Larry G, totally forgot to hit the "correct answer" button, and have I believe, done so now.

Wade, we can go back and forth with this all day for lots of days, but I would like to point out one more thing about perogative's, or to be more precise, your perogative. It was your perogative to ignore my question after your first answer didnt work out for me, until it was addressed by others. Let me explain a little further. I dont own a machine with Illustrator on it, but have access to a friends, (consentually) for a couple of weeks while she's on holiday. Its not my fault the clip doesnt work on this machine, nor is it my fault that the "release" option was greyed out even though the line was most definitely selected, but you made assumptions right there didnt you. You chose to believe that this was going to be far more trouble than it was worth, or at least, thats how it came across, and I would not let that go, being new at a program isnt a disease, and if it were its easily remedied. But, however, I do appreciate you took the time to provide an answer, and I do appreciate you probably know a hell of a lot more about Illustrator than I ever will, but have a look back at your response, it came across as arrogant, and if you choose not to answer my question, or not to continue answering my or anyone else's question, then that is indeed your perogative, but you dont have to be insulting in the process. But I have to admit I did let anger get the better of me, and maybe I should provide an apology for my part.

Prepresspro, point taken.

Well, its been fun, Readysteady

EDIT: Ok, just a quick edit. Wade, I wouldnt be half the person I think I am if I didnt acknowledge your movie as being Good. Installed Quicktime on my friends pc, and got sound. I have no problem admitting, had QT been installed on the machine in the first place, our verbal dual would never have happened as it is informative and quite easy to follow. (Obviously I did save the file, thinking Logically ) I wont take back anything I said earlier, but fair is fair, and credit were its due. Bet you cant wait for my next question

• 20. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You got your answer!

So what more do you want?

• 21. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                                  readysteady101 Level 1
                                                  Actually, you are correct, I did get my answer, thank you.
                                                  What more do I want? believe me, I will never "want" or seek anything from this forum again.

• 22. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                                    Jesseham Level 4

Ah, no need for that.  Wade's just crabby because he's got over 1000 points and Adobe still hasn't sent him any popcorn. 

• 23. Re: Colours in dotted lines (illustrator cs3
                                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That's not funny, I men what does it take to get a stinking bag of 

popcorn?