9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 12:37 PM by Jacob Bugge

Clipping Mask with photo question

screter

Hi everyone!  I'm having issues trying to create a clipping mask over a photo.  I have consulted 2 books and several other sites to no avail.  Here's the breakdown:

I have a compound path shape layered on top of a rasterized photo.

I select both, choose Object, Clipping Mask, Make and both objects become clear.

(I've tried variations and the closest I came was when, after the Clip Mask, Make commands, I made the shape white.  The image shows through but now there's a white fill surrounding the shape. It's still not what I want.)

I'm close and appreciate any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
          Ozzwoman9 Level 4

Can you please attach your image using the camera icon above where you type when you post?

The queue seems to take a while sometimes.

If I understand what you are doing, you need to have everything that is to make the mask on the same layer and above the image you are trying to mask. You may have to use the pathfinder to combine the objects making the mask into one shape, then select everything and create the mask.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
            Scott Falkner Level 5

You need one path or compound path to make a clipping mask. A Compound Shape is the live result of using Pathfinder effects on overlapping paths. Expand the shape using the Expand button in the Pathfinder panel or Expand Appearance. If you end up with multiple paths because some don't overlap (just as a lowercase "i" is two paths), then select them and use Object > Compound Path > Make. The Layers panel can help. Select the object, expand the active layer and look for the highlighted line(s). If you have it right, all you'll have is a Compound Path selected.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
              screter Level 1

Thanks. Unfortunately, my image doesn't appear when I try to post it in the message. (any help for that?)

One clarification on your advice - do I need to use the pathfinder to combine all objects making the mask into one shape, then select everything and create the mask?

• 4. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

screter,

If you post the image with the Camera Icon, it will not get queued.

Amost yes: the object to use as a clipping mask must be a single path or a compound path. You may select the paths and Object>Compound Path>Make.

• 5. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
                  screter Level 1

Thanks. I made the object a compound path before I started but no dice.

This image is the closest I've gotten to what I want but obviously it's wrong.  (this was after several failed attempts, I simply made the mask shape white.)

test-clipping-path.gif

• 6. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
                    screter Level 1

Thanks for all your help.  I think I figured it out!

• 7. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question

So what was the issue, screter?

• 8. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question
                        screter Level 1

Thanks to all of you for the help.  In the end, the angel shape had another path (square) around it and that seemed to be throwing off the whole thing.  I ungrouped the whole shape, selected only the angel and then made it a compound path.  I selected both the shape/path and photo, followed the normal procedure -- and then I hit a few buttons in the Pathfinder tab.  Everything worked out beautifully.  I will be practicing as now I'm not sure what I did in Pathfinder and how much difference it made to achieveing my goal.  I'll keep you posted.

Sarah

• 9. Re: Clipping Mask with photo question

Sarah,

If you Pathfinder>Crop after creating the Compound Path and selecting that and the photo, you will end up with two grouped paths (which may be ungrouped) and no possibly disturbing clipping mask which you may accidentally select.

So that is actually a  cleaner and simpler, thus better, solution.