13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 4:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

Content Management Systems-WordPress

amckinsey1
      Greetings,

I'm getting the idea that lots of you recommend WordPress as a CMS for sites built in Dreamweaver. Here are a few questions that I'd be most grateful for answers to:

* WordPress seems very user-friendly (and it's free!) but can it be used as a CMS for sites that are not blog sites? I see nothing on their site about usage as a CMS--is there special stuff I need to know to do this?

* Can I open a web page in Dreamweaver that someone has edited using CMS without losing their edits?

* I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people to use who I am building sites for--any other recommendations?

Any help you can give me is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Anne

• 1. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
          David Borrink Level 1
          I've used WordPress for a few years and it's a pretty good CMS. I've done my wife's blog (three redesigns and name changes) and I've done some commercial sites using WP where I'm able to set up "pages" (the non-blog type of static pages that are used for "who I am" or whatever static topic a blogger wants) as the main pages and push the blog to the side or not use it. It's very possible, you can choose any page to be the main page and move the blog over.

The CMS is set up in a MySQL database, and WP just grabs whatever info it needs from the database and runs it through the style sheets to set up for display.

I'm not an expert in Dreamweaver (yet) but the WP setup is dependent upon WP's files to render the pages. I would think that you'd need to find a PHP setup that coordinates with Dreamweaver at the start, and not try to bring WordPress into Dreamweaver. I know... the free price tag of WP makes it an attractive idea, but I suspect it won't work. And I'll gladly be told I'm wrong, but that's what I see in your request.

David
          • 2. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
            amckinsey1 Level 1
            David,

Thanks very much for your most helpful reply. I wonder if I am better off going with a system that is designed as a CMS! I'm looking now at the Joomla site.

Yikes, this is all very new to me--don't understand anything yet about PHP, etc. Sounds like you've been at this for awhile. I wonder what you think of Dw. I've heard some not-so-good comments about the application, but it seems to do everything really well.

Thanks again for your help,

Anne
            • 3. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
              David Borrink Level 1
              Anne,

WordPress keeps getting more powerful and more user-friendly each version, and I've found that the open-source community really can do a great job with a free product like WordPress. There have been a couple versions in the last year or so which caused some grief with some users, but later were "fixed" or made better.

I liked the ability to create sites in WP that gave my clients control over their content, and not have to rely on me for the tiniest tweaks of info. DW may have some features by using Contribute, of which I know nothing, for client adding content.

I'm pretty new at using DW after using Freeway for several years, but I've found the tutorials at Lynda.com to be excellent source of learning. And since I learned a lot of CSS by using WordPress, I found it exciting to see some of those features automated and expanded in DW. There's good and bad in all programs, but it comes down to the day to day use and troubleshooting which helps you learn.
              • 4. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                amckinsey1 Level 1
                You're giving me food for thought. Apparently, Contribute can do simple edits, but the problem is that clients would need to buy the application--not very good for someone wanting to make only small changes from time to time.

Thanks again,

Anne
                • 5. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                  Level 7
                  > * WordPress seems very user-friendly (and it's free!) but can it be used
                  > as a
                  > CMS for sites that are not blog sites?

Yes.

> I see nothing on their site about usage
                  > as a CMS

It is a CMS

> --is there special stuff I need to know to do this?

It's written in PHP, so helps to know PHP if you are doing to do a lot of
                  customizing.

> * Can I open a web page in Dreamweaver that someone has edited using CMS
                  > without losing their edits?

A CMS doesn't let people typically edit 'pages'. They edit 'content' that is
                  then rendered as a page via the CMS.

> * I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people to
                  > use
                  > who I am building sites for--any other recommendations?

WordPress is great for smaller sites.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                    Level 7
                    > Thanks very much for your most helpful reply. I wonder if I am better off
                    > going with a system that is designed as a CMS! I'm looking now at the
                    > Joomla
                    > site.

Joomla is also good, but several levels up from WordPress in both features
                    and complexity.

> Yikes, this is all very new to me--don't understand anything yet about
                    > PHP,
                    > etc. Sounds like you've been at this for awhile. I wonder what you think
                    > of Dw.
                    > I've heard some not-so-good comments about the application, but it seems
                    > to do
                    > everything really well.

Dreamweaver is an HTML editor. So it's not really tied to any CMS.

-Darrel

• 7. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                      Level 7
                      Other CMS products:

Cushy CMS - No programming or database required. Watch the video to see how
                      it works.
                      http://www.cushycms.com/

NanoCMS - Uses PHP and flatfiles - no database required.
                      http://nanocms.kalyanchakravarthy.net/

Content Seed - available in ASP, PHP, or ASP.net - no database required.
                      http://contentseed.com/

--Nancy O.
                      Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                      www.alt-web.com

"amckinsey1" <annemck@charter.net> wrote in message
                      news:g6vk6f$d1s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Greetings,
                      >
                      > I'm getting the idea that lots of you recommend WordPress as a CMS for
                      sites
                      > built in Dreamweaver. Here are a few questions that I'd be most grateful
                      for
                      > answers to:
                      >
                      as a
                      > CMS for sites that are not blog sites? I see nothing on their site about
                      usage
                      > as a CMS--is there special stuff I need to know to do this?
                      >
                      >
                      > * I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people
                      to use
                      >
                      > Any help you can give me is very much appreciated! Thanks!
                      >
                      > Anne
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                        amckinsey1 Level 1
                        Darrel,

Thanks for your great info. Is it possible for you to tell me briefly how I would go about setting up WordPress to do CMS with sites created in Dw? I will have a look at the WP site, too, for info.

Thanks! Anne

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                        > as a
                        > CMS for sites that are not blog sites?

Yes.

> I see nothing on their site about usage
                        > as a CMS

It is a CMS

> --is there special stuff I need to know to do this?

It's written in PHP, so helps to know PHP if you are going to do a lot of
                        customizing.

A CMS doesn't let people typically edit 'pages'. They edit 'content' that is
                        then rendered as a page via the CMS.

> * I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people to
                        > use

WordPress is great for smaller sites.

-Darrel

• 9. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                          amckinsey1 Level 1
                          Thanks, Nancy! These simple ones may be more to my level for now.

Anne

quote:

Other CMS products:

Cushy CMS - No programming or database required. Watch the video to see how
                          it works.
                          http://www.cushycms.com/

NanoCMS - Uses PHP and flatfiles - no database required.
                          http://nanocms.kalyanchakravarthy.net/

Content Seed - available in ASP, PHP, or ASP.net - no database required.
                          http://contentseed.com/

--Nancy O.
                          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                          www.alt-web.com

news:g6vk6f$d1s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Greetings,
                          >
                          > I'm getting the idea that lots of you recommend WordPress as a CMS for
                          sites
                          > built in Dreamweaver. Here are a few questions that I'd be most grateful
                          for
                          > answers to:
                          >
                          as a
                          > CMS for sites that are not blog sites? I see nothing on their site about
                          usage
                          > as a CMS--is there special stuff I need to know to do this?
                          >
                          >
                          > * I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people
                          to use
                          >
                          > Any help you can give me is very much appreciated! Thanks!
                          >
                          > Anne
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                            Level 7
                            Anne - WordPress is not simple to customize, which is what you'd need to do
                            to use it as a CMS, so one of these simpler solutions is probably a better
                            idea.

Just a thought: Clients often need to be educated on this subject. They
                            tend to think that, for them to be able to edit their site, you just have to
                            push a certain button, and don't realize that it takes a whole lot of work,
                            and thus costs a lot more, to provide that type of site.

They also tend to imagine the process of doing the edits as a LOT simpler
                            than it actually will be - I think most think that somehow their browser
                            will just become a text editor. They don't realize that they'll need to find
                            a login page, log in, navigate through some administration pages, etc.

It's not uncommon for a client to demand to be able to "edit the site
                            myself", and then not like doing it at all and end up paying the web
                            developer to do it.

I often talk clients out of it. But I guess the trick is determining which
                            ones really will use a CMS, and are also willing to pay you for the lots of
                            extra time and effort it will take.

--
                            Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                            --

news:g6vv5m$o71$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Thanks, Nancy! These simple ones may be more to my level for now.
                            >
                            > Anne
                            >
                            >
                            quote:

> Other CMS products:
                            >
                            > Cushy CMS - No programming or database required. Watch the video to see
                            > how
                            > it works.
                            > http://www.cushycms.com/
                            >
                            > NanoCMS - Uses PHP and flatfiles - no database required.
                            > http://nanocms.kalyanchakravarthy.net/
                            >
                            > Content Seed - available in ASP, PHP, or ASP.net - no database required.
                            > http://contentseed.com/
                            >
                            >
                            > --Nancy O.
                            > Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                            > www.alt-web.com
                            >
                            >
                            > "amckinsey1" <annemck@charter.net> wrote in message
                            > news:g6vk6f$d1s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > > Greetings,
                            > >
                            > > I'm getting the idea that lots of you recommend WordPress as a CMS for
                            > sites
                            > > built in Dreamweaver. Here are a few questions that I'd be most grateful
                            > for
                            > > answers to:
                            > >
                            > > * WordPress seems very user-friendly (and it's free!) but can it be
                            > > used
                            > as a
                            > > CMS for sites that are not blog sites? I see nothing on their site about
                            > usage
                            > > as a CMS--is there special stuff I need to know to do this?
                            > >
                            > > * Can I open a web page in Dreamweaver that someone has edited using
                            > > CMS
                            > > without losing their edits?
                            > >
                            > > * I am a newbie to Dw and need a simple, easy-to-install CMS for people
                            > to use
                            > > who I am building sites for--any other recommendations?
                            > >
                            > > Any help you can give me is very much appreciated! Thanks!
                            > >
                            > > Anne
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >

>
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                              Level 7
                              > Thanks for your great info. Is it possible for you to tell me briefly how
                              > I
                              > would go about setting up WordPress to do CMS with sites created in Dw? I
                              > will
                              > have a look at the WP site, too, for info.

You'd could use DW to modify the WordPress templates. You'd then use
                              WordPress to actually create the pages and content.

-Darrel

• 12. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                                I've been meaning to write one of those boiler plate responses that murray so frequently busts out in regards to customizing Wordpress. The basic idea is to create your own Wordpress "theme". You can run a google search and turn up plenty of results on the topic. This kid's blog could get you started:

http://mattbrett.com/2008/05/faq-how-do-you-build-your-wordpress-themes/

Experimenting is key of course, but once you figure out how to manipulate the header area things come together pretty fast. Be sure to make frequent backups and refresh the site in your browser every time you make changes to the code!

The Wordpress community is great at helping you with specific questions, so be sure to make use of them.
                                • 13. Re: Content Management Systems-WordPress
                                  Level 7
                                  Checkout Contentseed

news:g6vpd9$ic5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > You're giving me food for thought. Apparently, Contribute can do simple
                                  > edits,
                                  > but the problem is that clients would need to buy the application--not
                                  > very
                                  > good for someone wanting to make only small changes from time to time.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks again,
                                  >
                                  > Anne
                                  >