5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 8:48 AM by Newsgroup_User

Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6

rustypico
      HI there

Am new to this forum and really hope you can help. I have designed a website for someone integrating various flash files into dreamweaver 2004 MX.

Each flash file represents, top nav bar, side nav bar, right nav bar, title of body, and body of page.
      I am using server side includes for each flash file such that each nav bar etc has its own html doc.

I have used relative positioning in order that the website be centered on the page.
      My problem is this:

I am using Dreamweaver on Parallels VM on my intel Mac and therefore check the layout on Safari and Firefox.
      When trying to position each layer on dreamweaver such that they viewed correctly on those browsers they had to be positioned such that looked 'skewed' on the dreamweaver preview. In other words the left nav bar would appear to be much lower down compared to the top nav bar; the right nav bar was even lower on the page, about half way down; and the title and body layers were 'pushed' to the bottom.

The thing is i had to position it this way so that it would look fine on safari and firefox - -otherwise the layers would overlap or be way out place.

The only way to see this for yourself is to look at the website on IE6. ON IE6 it looks exactly as it does on dreamweaver preview. however, on IE7, Safari and Firefox it looks as how i want it to look.

So just to recap on my ramblings: Website layers look out of position on Dreamweaver preview and IE6, but look fine on other browsers.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

The website is

PUURGEN.COM
        • 1. Re: Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6
          Level 7
          > Each flash file represents, top nav bar, side nav bar, right nav bar,
          > title of
          > body, and body of page.

<OUCH>

This is a guaranteed no-show in search engine indexes, you know? Not only
          can they not index your site, they cannot read any of its contents. And as
          for accessability, forget it.

Are you sure you want to continue on this non best-practice road?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"rustypico" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6umfk$b8r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > HI there
          >
          > Am new to this forum and really hope you can help. I have designed a
          > website
          > for someone integrating various flash files into dreamweaver 2004 MX.
          >
          > title of
          > I am using server side includes for each flash file such that each nav bar
          > etc
          > has its own html doc.
          >
          > I have used relative positioning in order that the website be centered on
          > the
          > page.
          > My problem is this:
          >
          > I am using Dreamweaver on Parallels VM on my intel Mac and therefore
          > check
          > the layout on Safari and Firefox.
          > When trying to position each layer on dreamweaver such that they viewed
          > correctly on those browsers they had to be positioned such that looked
          > 'skewed'
          > on the dreamweaver preview. In other words the left nav bar would appear
          > to be
          > much lower down compared to the top nav bar; the right nav bar was even
          > lower
          > on the page, about half way down; and the title and body layers were
          > 'pushed'
          > to the bottom.
          >
          > The thing is i had to position it this way so that it would look fine on
          > safari and firefox - -otherwise the layers would overlap or be way out
          > place.
          >
          > The only way to see this for yourself is to look at the website on IE6.
          > ON
          > IE6 it looks exactly as it does on dreamweaver preview. however, on IE7,
          > Safari and Firefox it looks as how i want it to look.
          >
          > So just to recap on my ramblings: Website layers look out of position on
          > Dreamweaver preview and IE6, but look fine on other browsers.
          >
          > Does anyone know why this is happening?
          >
          > The website is
          >
          > http://www.puurgen.com
          >

• 2. Re: Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6
            rustypico Level 1
            HI Murray.

You dont really seemed to have tried to answer my question and you seem to be a little misinformed about flash these days. please read the following for example:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/swf_searchability.html

Ok, this is just for google, but Yahoo is very soon to follow suit.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            > title of

<OUCH>

This is a guaranteed no-show in search engine indexes, you know? Not only
            can they not index your site, they cannot read any of its contents. And as
            for accessability, forget it.

Are you sure you want to continue on this non best-practice road?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"rustypico" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g6umfk$b8r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > HI there
            >
            > Am new to this forum and really hope you can help. I have designed a
            > website
            > for someone integrating various flash files into dreamweaver 2004 MX.
            >
            > title of
            > I am using server side includes for each flash file such that each nav bar
            > etc
            > has its own html doc.
            >
            > I have used relative positioning in order that the website be centered on
            > the
            > page.
            > My problem is this:
            >
            > I am using Dreamweaver on Parallels VM on my intel Mac and therefore
            > check
            > the layout on Safari and Firefox.
            > When trying to position each layer on dreamweaver such that they viewed
            > correctly on those browsers they had to be positioned such that looked
            > 'skewed'
            > on the dreamweaver preview. In other words the left nav bar would appear
            > to be
            > much lower down compared to the top nav bar; the right nav bar was even
            > lower
            > on the page, about half way down; and the title and body layers were
            > 'pushed'
            > to the bottom.
            >
            > The thing is i had to position it this way so that it would look fine on
            > safari and firefox - -otherwise the layers would overlap or be way out
            > place.
            >
            > The only way to see this for yourself is to look at the website on IE6.
            > ON
            > IE6 it looks exactly as it does on dreamweaver preview. however, on IE7,
            > Safari and Firefox it looks as how i want it to look.
            >
            > So just to recap on my ramblings: Website layers look out of position on
            > Dreamweaver preview and IE6, but look fine on other browsers.
            >
            > Does anyone know why this is happening?
            >
            > The website is
            >
            > http://www.puurgen.com
            >

• 3. Re: Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6
              Level 7
              On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:07:14 +0000 (UTC), "rustypico"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>HI Murray.
              >
              > You dont really seemed to have tried to answer my question and you seem to be
              >a little misinformed about flash these days. please read the following for
              >example:
              >
              > http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html
              >
              > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/swf_searchability.html
              >
              > Ok, this is just for google, but Yahoo is very soon to follow suit.
              >

I'm not going to defend Murray - he's well able to do that for
              himself, but very many of us don't like flash, see no point in using
              it for something which other technologies can do far better.

Menu's are much easier using just html and a little css.

--

~Malcolm~*...
              ~*
              • 4. Re: Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6
                rustypico Level 1
                Hi Malcom

That's all very well but my original question is not debating the pros and cons flash and whether one should use pure html to that of flash.
                I just need to know why, if i have an object in a layer (which is in this case a flash object), that it appears at a different position in one browser to that of another.

If anyone can read through my original question and give me some help with it or has had a similar experience with this then please let me know. I accept that there are those of us who like to use flash and those who don't but im not here to start an arguement about it.

many thanks

• 5. Re: Web layout displays fine in Safari, Firefox but not in IE6
                  Level 7
                  On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:11:13 +0000 (UTC), "rustypico"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

. I accept
                  >that there are those of us who like to use flash and those who don't but im not
                  >here to start an arguement about it.
                  >
                  > many thanks
                  >
                  >
                  >

Me too - but then maybe not many use Flash here for such things - so
                  maybe it could be answered over in the Flash Forum.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?forumid=15

--

~Malcolm~*...
                  ~*