1 2 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 8:43 PM by Obamaer

Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4

MikeN09

In PPCS4.1.0 I am having a problem where .m2ts files being imported and then viewed are staggering during playback, no matter what quality setting. I have downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and installed but had two error messages come up (attached). When I use the Sony utility "PMB" and convert the file to MPEG2 they view fine in PPCS4 on the first import screen but when I drag it to the bottom and view it staggers in the upper right screen. Sounds like a Codec or file conversion issue. Importing directly from the laptop hard drive not from the camcorder. WinXP, SP3, Intel 2.19 GHz, 3Gb Ram...performance not an issue on this laptop at all. All m2ts files play excellent quality in Sony's player "PMB" installed.

Any recommendations from you experts out there?

I am using a new Sony HDR-XR500V. Recording in AVC HD 16M (FH). The HD properties for the .m2ts clips are as follows:

File Name: 20090728191732.m2ts
      Type: MPEG Movie
      File Size: 84.5 MB
      Image Size: 1920 x 1080
      Pixel Depth: 32
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
      Total Duration: 00:00:41:15
      Average Data Rate: 2.0 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 1. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I have downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and installed but had two error messages come up (attached).

Chances are you need to reformat your disk, reinstall the OS and programs. Good luck. Everybody who installs these kind of codec packs is inviting disaster to strike and it looks like you got hit. Consider yourself lucky that you can still repair it by a complete reinstall of everything.

Why did you made this (extremely dumb) move?

RULE 1. Never, never install codec packs.

RULE 2. Reformat and reinstall OS & programs if you broke rule 1.

• 2. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
            MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Adobe's technical support in Indian told me to install the Codec pack. Huge mistake I'm sure. Anyway, the laptop is running OK but the issue still has not been resolved in PPCS4 with the staggering of video media. I may end up buying a new laptop. OK...suggestions on what I should make sure is on the new operating system? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Some folk have had good luck with the K-Lite pack, but far too many have had major issues. There are probably some good things in there, like G-Spot (available free outside of K-Lite), but with most of the installations of it, other CODEC's ger hurt in the process. Also, there is a bunch of useless stuff that gets installed, and this just gets in the way. FFDShow seems to give many people issues (though some swear by it).

My policy is to only install the exact CODEC's that I need for particular media, or for a particular Export. I always attempt to go to the "source" for these, and seldom bother with any "free" versions. I'd rather pay $ and get the best that I can. Now, some of mine, like Lagarith, are free, but if I have to choose between a free version of one and say MainConcept, guess who gets my money.

Now, enough about CODEC's. My guess would be that you have the CODEC's needed to both play and to edit the files. There is a big difference between these two operations. With most media, PrPro has to get the media into an editable state. This can be done via conversion by the user before Import, or internally by PrPro. On all but a robust system, the former is usually the better, but the results can vary by the conversion program. I would have assumed that the Sony converter would be pretty good at handling this format/CODEC, but maybe not. I just do not know it.

Since you are using HD material, you system will be strained. If there is internal decoding necessary, the CPU will come under a pretty heavy load. This can carry over to playback issues in PrPro too. However, with most media, playback is more heavily dependent on the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. Unless there is a video driver issue, less so on your GPU.

First thing that I would do is make sure that your video drivers are as up to date, as is possible. I'd go the source - the vid-card mfgr's Web site.

Next, please tell us more about your HDD's. If you only have a single physical HDD (partitions are a no-no), then if the vid-card's driver is functioning properly, your playback is most likely due to the bottleneck of the single HDD. This can affect all aspects of editing work, though is usually seen first in playback issues.

More system info would be very helpful. I'm sure that Harm, or others, will likely spot some potential issues there.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I only have had the Coppola, and am not familiar with the other two wines, but will look. I've had the Yellow Tail Chard, and was not impressed by it, but then I grade Chards on a difficult scale. Few live up to it.

• 4. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One additional thought for you to check. You get good playback in the Source Monitor, but not in the Program Monitor, right? What are the settings on the Program Monitor? Hint: Rt-click on it and look for Quality, Display Mode and Magnification.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                  MikeN09 Level 1

I've tried all that .... setting it on Draft, High Quality, and Automatic.

Same results. Both the Source and Program monitors stagger severely with the

.m2ts files. Source plays OK with the MPEG2 but the Program Monitor

staggers. MPEG2 export quality from Sony's PMB utility (720x480) is a far

cry from the original .m2ts (1920x1080). Perhaps I should call Sony but I

keep thinking that Adobe should get this as they say PPCS4 supports .m2ts.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

MikeN09

• 6. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                    MikeN09 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the info on the wines. The std Yellow Tails are not that good.

Have you tried the Reserve series. For a table wine around $11 it almost has

the quality of Coppolas.

MikeN09

• 7. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Both the Source and Program monitors stagger severely with the .m2ts files.

Oops, I mis-read then. I thought Source was fine, but not Program Monitor.

If both show issues, then the I/O would be my next thought.

As for the conversion to SD from the original HD, I would have thought that PrPro could handle your HD MPEG files. Now, it will take some power and both from the CPU and the I/O, but I am surprised that PrPro cannot work directly with your files. Remember that with any HD material, you have a of pixels to push around.

Since you have issues with the converted/down-sampled material, I'd check to see if the Sony converter can output as DV-AVI Type II files. Obviously, this will be downsampled too, from your HD material. If it can, try those in PrPro to see if playback is better. That is the native format that PrPro works in. If it will not play those smoothly, there is very likely an equipment issue going on.

I have to admit that I do SD work only at the time. I am not THAT familiar with the various HD formats and CODEC's, so I'm not the best person to address that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                        MikeN09 Level 1

Thanks Hunt.

• 9. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Have you tried the Reserve series

Mike,

To my knowledge I have not. I encountered this brand at an early trade-tasting, and would assume that it was just their regular offering at the time. Now, I know that they offer more varietals (Chard was the first to the US, IIRC), and obviously a couple of "levels." Will give it a try.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

Why did you install that codec package, when PR comes out of the box with the proper support for AVCHD formats, including your camera? It should work by just importing the files into the proper sequence. Things may have been fouled up by these codecs. In that case it is back to square one.

• 11. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Things may have been fouled up by these codecs

I see that as a strong possibility too. I'd first uninstall K-Lite and chose "All Components," or similar syntax. Then, for good measure, I'd do a Repair Install of PrPro. That could reinstall any MainConcept CODEC's that have been broken. With both the Sony software and PrPro, one should have all necessary CODEC's. Now, I wonder if the Sony stuff fritzed up the MainConcept CODEC's though Adobe hides those pretty well with their proprietary naming convention.

Should it not, then Harm's earlier advice to do a wipe and total install of the OS and PrPro might be needed. I'm a lazy sot, so I hold those operations out until the end, but that's just me.

I'd still be interested in the I/O, but now that Harm tells me that the material is AVCHD, the CPU will come into play heavily also.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS wonder if FFDShow is getting in the way from the K-Lite pack. It has cause many others grief.

• 12. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                MikeN09 Level 1

I guess the big question is - can PPCS4 handle these imports of d2ts files

and run them normally in both viewers? As 1920x1080? Adobe claims so.

Thanks,

MikeN09

• 13. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                  MikeN09 Level 1

OK... turns out my laptop doesn't have the horsepower to run m2ts files in PPCS4. After spending a lot of time talking to all kinds of speciality houses ended up with Dell's Alienware team that put me in a machine that should do the trick. You need massive amounts of processing, video, and RAM to edit native in m2ts with PPCS4. Here's the config below. Will confirm after I recieve it that it does what they say it will.

Dell Laptop XPS 1640 

Processor
                                  Intel Core 2 Duo T9550
                                  (2.66GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)  

RAM
                                  6GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm forXPS 1640  

Screen
                                  15.6 inch Wide Screen 16:9 1080p FHD WLED LCD W/2.0MP,

Video Card1 
                                  ATI Mobility RADEON M96XT - 1GB  

Hard Drive
                                  500GB 7200RPM Free Fall SensorSeagate Hard Drive

• 14. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

For the AVCHD files, a Quad-core processor would be a great advantage, due to the processing load required. If you can bump up to a Quad-core, you will be spending your money wisely.

Also, if the laptop can accept at least a second HDD, your editing experience will benefit too. Do not know about the Alienware Dell's, but the multiple internal HDD's was the reason that I went with Sager - I could get 3x 200GB HDD's. Now, they offer even larger ones. Size is great, but more is better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For your workflow you may need a laptop, but for AVCHD editing you really need a large workstation with an i7 CPU or better and a good dedicated video card, as well as at least three physical 7200 RPM hard drives. A Core 2 Duo will not suffice.

The suggested system is way underpowered for what you want to do.

• 16. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend at least 2 GB of RAM per core.  So adding to Hunt's suggestion of a quad-core CPU, you should get at least 8 MB RAM.

Go ahead and get Vista x64 SP2 now, but make sure your new system comes with a *free* upgrade to Windows 7 x64 when it ships.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                          MikeN09 Level 1

Thanks Harm.

• 18. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                            MikeN09 Level 1

OK...I got a massive PC to process m2ts files (specs below) but still have staggering after 16 seconds of any video imported in the viewer window and staggering at any level in the program window. Don't get it. Perhaps PPCS4 wasn't really designed to handle AVC HD 16M (FH) files. I have tested with numerous m2ts files with the same result. Do I need more RAM (hard to believe with 2Gb per Quad)? What about a better video card? Hard to believe that as well. Any thoughts guys? Maybe some setting are wrong? Have installed PPCS4 from scratch.

224-43991Studio XPS 435T
                                            317-00671Studio XPS 435T, Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
                                            317-007818GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
                                            320-788911024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5
                                            341-85401Serial ATA II RAID 0 With Dual500GB Hard Drives

Thanks,

Mike

• 19. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                              D&R Films Level 1

I'm finding tthis hard to believe. I have basically the same system (but with a nVidia video card.. not CUDA) and mine plays 1920X1080 highest quality HMC150 PH mode (24mb/sec) files back in RT at highest quality! Something's up here. You didn't install that codec pack did you? Latest ATI drivers?

Is there a red line above your timeline?

• 20. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

From your specs, I wonder why only 8 GB RAM (4 x 2 GB) when on an X58 board you would normally have 6 slots. For DDR3 you need to populate these per three slots to use as triple channel. So 6 x 1 GB or 6 x 2 GB.

It is not a good idea to use a raid0 for the boot disk. You would certainly profit from a separate boot disk like a Velociraptor for OS and programs.

• 21. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                  D&R Films Level 1

Nice catch Harm... I have 6gb of OCZ. Didn't notice his 8gb scenario.

• 22. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

A common problem is that people forget to turn of search indexing and leave on compression.

Go to My Computer, click and when your disk is shown, right click on the properties and make sure that both tick boxes at the bottom are turned off. Select all directories and sub-directories when asked. Skip files that Windows indicates can't be unindexed.

23-08-2009 01-12-36.jpg

That can help significantly.

• 23. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                      MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Bumped it up to 2Gb each slot for RAM (was at 4 slots with 2). Now at 6x2 = 12Gb. At least the program window is finally working with "Draft" quality. Highest quality still staggering. Showing 90-100% processing being used for .m2ts files. Hesitant to buy 4Gb RAMs as they're $400 each! I am told I shouldn't mix and match 4Gb and 2Gb in the 6 slots. If I go to 24Gb that will run me $2400....more than the hoss PC I purchased. What should my settings be for virtual memory. Below is what setting currently are. What do you recommend? Thanks...I'm getting close. Mike

Also, how do I avoid going to India for support at Adobe? Is there a direct line to the U.S. for Level 2?

vm2.jpg

• 24. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I would not even consider going up to 24 GB. It would be a waste of money. With 12 GB of RAM, the same I have, you could copy my settings. It works fine for me. Fixed size (min=max) of 8 GB, but I have it on a 2 disk raid0. In your case the D drive may be more convenient. Just make sure you delete the pagefile on the C drive later.

What I miss, and this could be the reason for still sub-optimal results, is some more drives.

27-08-2009 22-37-50.jpg

This may be overdone for most, but it shows you how you can set up more drives. A, B and C are single drives, D is a 2 disk raid0 and E is a 12 disk raid30.

• 25. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                          MikeN09 Level 1

Harm- This is real eye gloss over stuff for me. I know enough about I.T. to be dangerous but when it comes to allocating drives I'll be going boldy where I haven't gone before. That being said, I below are several screen caps of exactly what my settings are. If you could offer a step by step I would greatly appreciate it. Even though it is a RAID, the C drive has the entire disk space of 984Gb. How many drives should I partition off of that? What will that do to the RAID config? Thanks for your efforts. I am getting close here.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 26. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                            MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

I have 1 TB total on C. It looks like from your screen cap that you have 1TB on just the A drive.

• 27. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I'll start by repreating what I said in post #20:

It is not a good idea to use a raid0 for the boot disk. You would certainly profit from a separate boot disk like a Velociraptor for OS and programs.

Indeed you have two Seagates in a raid0. I suggest you get at least 1 or 2 separate physical disks extra. Use one for OS & programs. Use the raid0 for media and pagefile, and use the 2-nd disk you buy for projects and scratch. Do not partition any disk at all. If will only slow things down.

• 28. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the reply. OK...let me see if I have this straight.

1) The RAID0 should not be the operating system drive.

2) Get 2 separate physical drives in addition (1 TB each OK?)

3) Move the operating system to one of those drives.

4) Use RAID0 for media and pagefiles

5) Use 2nd disk for projects & scratch

6) No partitioning

Questions:

1) Install PPCS4 on operating system drive?

2) All media files loaded on RAID0?

Thanks. This does make sense as I am learning about resources being used.

Mike

• 29. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes to all your questions.

• 30. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                    MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

How do you recommend I move the current operating system that is on the RAID0 to one of the two new 1TB drives? Haven't done that before. Hopefully this is not THAT difficult. I am assuming once the drives are installed and recognized that I copy the entire contents of the RAID0 to one of them and then direct Vista to boot from the new drive. Correct? Or is that too easy for Microsoft?

Thanks,

Mike

• 31. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The only sensible way is to do a complete reformat and fresh installation of OS & programs. It will take time and some effort, but it really is the only way.

• 32. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                        MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Wow. I wish Adobe had solid documentation on this and I would have done it when this new XPS435T had been builit. Dell went over all the specs that Adobe stated in their literature and based on Adobe specs that was what I got....1TB RAID0 500Gb per mirror and no additional drives. You've been a great help but really Adobe should make this a lot easier than all this. Oh well...enough of that, it is what it is.

Before I pull the trigger and go down this road with more expense for two 1TB drives and reinstalling Vista on one of them, you are confident aren't you that the config below will finally do the job for me right so there will be no staggering in the program monitor in PPCS4?

Drive C     1TB drive for Vista main operating system that PPCS4 installed on

Drive E     1TB drive for projects & scratch - All projects get saved here

Drive F     1TB RAID0 for media and pagefiles (500Gb x 2) - All media files (m2ts, jpg, wav, etc.) reside here

Questions:

1) Resetting the RAID0 drives to be either DriveE or F I'm sure I'll have to call on Dell to assist. Any comments?

2) Reformat the RAID0 or just delete all files on there after the move to the new drive letter? Hopefully just deleting all files should do. Not sure how to accuratly reformat a RAID0 from Intel.

2) Standard NTFS formatting for the two new 1TB drives

Thanks,

Mike

• 33. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                          MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Is there any definative detailed documentation from this from Adobe? Or is everyone on their own to figure all this out?

• 34. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                            you are confident aren't you that the config below will finally do the job for me right so there will be no staggering in the program monitor in PPCS4?

While the proposed disk setup is mostly a good idea (I'd change it up slightly), it's not likely to help much with AVCHD stuttering during playback.  The data rate of AVCHD is actually less than that of DV, and any single modern drive is more than fast enough to serve even multiple streams.  The issue with AVCHD is raw CPU horsepower.  If playback isn't smooth, you need more of it.

• 35. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                              MikeN09 Level 1

Jim,

Here's the spec. Where are you suggesting I go with CPU horsepower?

Studio XPS 435T
                                                                              Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
                                                                              12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
                                                                              1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5
                                                                              Serial ATA II RAID 0 With Dual500GB Hard Drives

Thanks,

Mike

• 36. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                                MikeN09 Level 1

I have to say at this point that Adobe really needs to provide a detailed hw specs with a configurator online based on the camera model & video file format for anyone purchasing PPCS4. I've been VP of sales for a number of years for enterprise software & content management and we always provide precise specifications for prospects and customers that we KNOW works with our software and solutions. I have spent way too much time guessing and stabbing in the dark to attempt to get the staggering to be resolved. Everyone has been quite supportive of my efforts but this really is an Adobe issue as to why they don't provide this to customers. Am I missing something? Do they have this listed somewhere?

• 37. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

Not the easiest way, because of backup of you current data, but I would suggest the following drive setup:

C: Seagate 500 for OS & Programs

D: Seagate 500 for pagefile and projects

E: Seagate 1 TB  for media

F: Seagate 1 TB for scratch, exports and backup of selected data.

It would be a waste of space to use a 1 TB disk for just OS & programs.

While a raid0 is faster than a single drive it also entails a bigger risk of losing all data.

While Jim's point about AVCHD is valid, it requires a very capable processor because of the CPU intensive nature of the material, it may be that your new system can handle it, even if barely, but that requires an additional step.

While booting your system, enter the BIOS, go to the tweakers or advanced tab and search for a setting for BCLK Frequency. The default value is 133. All you may need to do is adjust that value to 162 and then save the settings by pressing F10. This will effectively overclock your system to 3.4 GHz, which is completely safe to do if the cooling is good. I suggest you check the temperatures of your CPU cores with HWMonitor to see that idle the temps will remain somewhere around 40 degrees C and under full load around 60 degrees C or lower. If that is the case, you are done and then you have taken all the basic steps to get the most out of this system. If temperatures go over 65 degrees under load, I would throttle back to 152 (3.2 GHz) and check again.

• 38. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                                    MikeN09 Level 1

Harm,

Since I already have the RAID0 (500Gb x2) in house, delivered, and running as the C Drive, can I not just add your spec:

D: Seagate 500 for pagefile and projects

E: Seagate 1 TB  for media

F: Seagate 1 TB for scratch, exports and backup of selected data.

without having to reinstall Vista from scratch? This would be much easier. Or is the RAID0 a problem for performance where PPCS4 would reside?

I do not have a setting for "BCLK Frequency" in my BIOS anywhere.

Thanks,

Mike

• 39. Re: Problem with m2ts files in PPCS4
                                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You can't move the OS from one disk to another. You really need to reinstall, unless you keep the raid0 intact and then add another 500 G disk as D drive. You can't break out a raid0 to individual disks without losing all data.

What BIOS is installed, Phoenix, Award, other? It may be possible Dell has modified the BIOS in such a way that BCLK settings are not obvious or even disabled. Maybe you can find it under tab related to Performance, Overclocking, Tweaking or something similar.

1 2 Previous Next