6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 8:01 AM by JimHess-5IFZWq

How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?

jhrob1

I have saved a NEF file as a DNG file before making any edits in ACR.  Because the ACR edits will be reflected in the NEF file when it is opened in Elements, I wanted to have a file that I could edit that did not reflect the ACR edits.  I can find the DNG file using Windows Explorer, but I can't seem to open it or make use of it.  Any help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
          JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

The DNG file is still a raw file.  And like any raw file, it has to be opened in Camera Raw in order to be edited.  The way you work with a DNG file is no different than the way you would work with any other raw image.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
            jhrob1 Level 1

Thanks for your help which eventually led me to determine what I had been doing wrong.  I had been trying to open the dng file in Organizer so that I could then open it in the Editor.  What I should have been doing is opening it directly from the Editor Open menu.  In any event, I can now see my dng files.  This seems to me to be the best way to preserve the RAW file as it originally existed without reflecting any edits in ACR.  Any other thoughts?  Again, many thanks.

• 3. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
              JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

I suppose if that makes you feel more secure that is one way of doing it.  But remember, Camera Raw never makes any modifications to your raw images (whether they are native raw or DNG).  Regardless of which type you are working on, it is always possible to restore the "look" back to the original file.  It isn't necessary to convert to DNG if your only intent is to have the file as it was when it was initially downloaded from the camera.  I have never used Camera Raw with Photoshop Elements, so I don't know anything at all about the Organizer.  But from within Camera Raw it is always possible to clear the settings and start over.  When using the full version of Photoshop, the settings can be cleared from Bridge as well, so I assume there is provision to do that in the Organizer.  Someone more familiar with Elements will have to comment on that.

• 4. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
                jhrob1 Level 1

Many thanks for your help.

Jerry H. Robinson

• 5. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
                  jhrob1 Level 1

Jim--I really appreciate your help. However, I'm going to be making a DNG file when I want absolute security. I can't find any way to restore the original NEF image in the ACR program than comes with Elements.

Jerry H. Robinson

• 6. Re: How do I access and use a DNG file that I have saved?
                    JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

jhrob wrote:

Jim--I really appreciate your help. However, I'm going to be making a DNG file when I want absolute security. I can't find any way to restore the original NEF image in the ACR program than comes with Elements.

Jerry H. Robinson

I have never used Camera Raw with Photoshop Elements.  I haven't used Photoshop Elements since version 2.  But I can tell you that in Photoshop and Bridge it is really quite simple.  Using Bridge, simply right click on the raw image, and in the context menu there is an option enabling you to clear the settings.  It is different from one version to the next, but it is there.  I would think that there would be something similar in the Organizer.  Otherwise, one surefire way to do it would be to simply open the folder that contains the raw images and delete the XMP files for the image(s).

I just read your message again.  What do you mean when you say you are making a DNG file when you want absolute security?  That doesn't make sense.  Camera Raw never changes your raw image pixels.  The original raw data is always there, always.  The changes made in Camera Raw are stored as metadata and as such can always be deleted.  The same is true with a DNG file, except that metadata is stored inside the DNG file itself.  In Camera Raw under Elements there must be a method in the Organizer similar to what I described above.

Then you said you couldn't find a way to restore the original NEF image.  Do you mean, literally, the NEF file itself?  Or the look of the original file?  Are you keeping the NEF files?

I think you are missing the point of using DNG files.  Security in and of itself doesn't seem to me a justification for using DNG.  You need to reconsider your workflow and what you are trying to accomplish.  I'm a little unclear as to what you are trying to do.