11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 8:12 AM by kovachthomas

Using Multiple Screens

kovachthomas

Does anyone know if Premiere Elements 4.0 can be broken a part in components to use on multiple screens?

• 1. Re: Using Multiple Screens
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely, it can be.

The individual panels can be undocked and moved around your desktop, even across two panels. The exception is the Tasks panel, which much remain docked to the interface.

• 2. Re: Using Multiple Screens
            kovachthomas Level 1

Help me on that one, how do I unlock them?  Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Using Multiple Screens
              kovachthomas Level 1

I just found it.  They were hidden.  Thanks again for your help

• 4. Re: Using Multiple Screens

For what it's worth (not much?), showing and using Docking Headers is the first thing I show you how to do in the first chapter of my book on Premiere Elements.

Glad you found it, t!

• 5. Re: Using Multiple Screens
                  kovachthomas Level 1

And where can I find your book?  Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Using Multiple Screens

Thanks for asking!

The books are available through Muvipix.com and on Amazon.

Let us know (here or on the Muvipix site) if you have any specific questions!

• 7. Re: Using Multiple Screens
                      kovachthomas Level 1

OK, I am going to ask one more question.  I'm an amateur at this, however I shoot with a Canon XL1, I have a 12' Crane on a dolly, Steadycam, a track dolly, a large library of digital juice swipes, jumpbacks and revealers, along with a green screen and studio light kit.  I want to stay an independent writing and shooting my own stuff.  I've owned businesses before an do not want to do that again with this... this is only for fun and is a hobby.

I will be purchasing a pan and tilt for my jib along with another 1 or 2 XL1's...they are cheap and good without going to HD.

My question is Elements 7 upgrade or should I go to Premiere Pro.  I'm just finding thing with 4 that I didn't know I could do.

Any recomendations or should I just sit tight?  What will I gain from the Pro version?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

• 8. Re: Using Multiple Screens

It all depends what you're wanting to do, t.

The quality of the output for both is indentical.

If you're wanting to edit, add titles, effects, transitions, keyframe effects, add motion paths across pictures and create DVDs, either program will work.

If you need embedded timelines, increased support for a wider range of media, broadcast functions for tuning color ranges and other professional features that I barely understand, you need Pro. And, if you plan to produce deep-level DVD menus, you may need Encore rather than Premiere Elements' basic DVD creator.

So it's up to you. There are many professionals using Premiere Elements. So it's kind of like Photoshop Elements vs. the full version of Photoshop -- if you don't understand the differences, you can probably get along fine with the consumer version.

As I've said, the quality of the results from the Elements and Pro versions are identical.

• 9. Re: Using Multiple Screens
                          kovachthomas Level 1

Very interesting, I'm not really seeing anything I can't live without.  I'd like to be able to turn on and off time codes on the display itself and the color tuning functions, however I can live without those for now.  My biggest plus is I have kids in college, which as you may be aware allows for a great discount on the suite of products.  However I'm not really sure if it is a discount.  I get to spend $60,000 on an education, but I can purchase the $1,600 suite for $200.

Thanks for all of your help.  I'll be purchasing your book soon.

• 10. Re: Using Multiple Screens
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you plan on doing much green screen keying work and are contemplating PrPro, I'd strongly suggest that you look into one of the "bundles" with AfterEffects included. PE can do keying. Those functions are enhanced in PrPro, but are really unlocked in AE.

One other consideration, if you are producing mainly DVD-Videos, is the extreme flexibility and power of Adobe Encore for authoring. It is now bundled with all versions (suites and bundles) of PrPro. Personally, I would not think of doing anything, excpet very simple DVD-Videos, without it. If you stay with PE, you might want to look into Sony's DVD Architect (Steve also wrote a book on using it), to unlock much of the potential of the DVD-spec.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Using Multiple Screens
                              kovachthomas Level 1

Thanks for the input.