13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio cutting out?

gary0612

Hi all, this is my first post, so be gentle!

I'm a new Premiere user, and I'm creating basic 2-minute videos:  slightly animated graphics, a voice-over recorded in Soundbooth, then some stock music clips in the background.

Periodically, as I'm working on a project, the sound will just stop working:  I'll click play to review my work, the video goes, and I can see the waveform for the sound, but I don't hear anything.  If I save my work, close Premiere, and re-open, everything is fine.

Your thoughts?  I'm on a Win XP, Lenovo laptop, 3GB of RAM.  If this has been addressed elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

• 1. Re: Audio cutting out?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Single disk, maybe even a 5400 RPM disk? Use at least 3 physical disks, each 7200 RPM and with eSATA or SATA interface.

• 2. Re: Audio cutting out?
            gary0612 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't follow you.

I'm working from a 1TB 'brick,' if that's what you need to know.  I've been in this job for about a month, and there are only a few other projects on this drive, currently using less than 7BG, if that makes a difference.

Does that help???  gs

• 3. Re: Audio cutting out?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

And I guess that this brick is on a USB interface--correct?

• 4. Re: Audio cutting out?
                gary0612 Level 1

Yes, that's right.

• 5. Re: Audio cutting out?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Bricks are good for building houses, but when used with a USB interface they are only good for backups, not for video editing. Your hard disk setup is causing the problems you experience.

• 6. Re: Audio cutting out?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The USB connection is a likely culprit, as maybe the speed of the physical HDD inside the enclosure.

I use a bunch of "bricks." Never heard that term, but see how it would apply. Most of mine are 2TB Maxtors with 7200RPM drives and I connect via FW-800. I have never encountered any issue when editing to/from these.

Now, with USB externals, I had all sorts of problems and playback of anything was nearly impossible. This was also with SD material.

Does your "brick" offer FireWire, as well? If so, give that a try. Even FW-400 would be better than USB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio cutting out?

Bill, my testing of several FireWire (and USB) enclosures I found major differences in my HDtach average read rate between vendors.  I assume you probably did not buy "cheapies" but the only way to really know on either interface is to test for yourself.  All these devices have matured and maybe my testing about 4 years ago is not a valid conclusion today.

Cheers

Bill

• 8. Re: Audio cutting out?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Your hard disk setup is causing the problems you experience.

That seems unlikely.  A disk bottleneck would cause the playback to stutter.  It would not affect just the audio like this.  Something else is probably going on here.

• 9. Re: Audio cutting out?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Most of mine are the Maxtor One-Touch II's and III's, depending on the capacity. All have exhibited good throughput, and I think I have edited to/from each one in the mix. Now, I do have to admit that I have NOT benchmarked any. I am going by "seat of the pants" observations, and switching them between the laptop and the workstation. Still, with a myriad number of Projects, of all sorts, on these I have not seen any problem - yet.

Again, and going back several years, I did see issues with the USB's and big slowdowns with the FW-400's. Since I am working with SD material, I should use your benchmarking system to see what the real-world figures are. I have the materials that you have provided, and should go one step beyond. I promise that when I get two Projects off the books, I'll do that, and see how my workstation performs vs the FW-800 connection.

Again, thanks for all of your work on benchmarking system configs for the real world.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio cutting out?

Bill, I keep promising a PPBM for CS4 and I do have it just have not gotten around to documenting it properly and finishing the web pages.  I just lost a week due to my editing/benchmarking rig being down after one of the many hardware/Driver/BIOS experiments of mine.  And then there are the nine video projects I have on my to do list.

Cheers

Bill

• 11. Re: Audio cutting out?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

I completely understand. Test rigs can get sideways in a hurry.

I'll keep my eyes open and good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Audio cutting out?
                                gary0612 Level 1

So what I'm hearing is:  try connecting the external drive to my laptop via a firewire, not the USB, and see if that helps?

• 13. Re: Audio cutting out?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That MAY help, as FW is faster than USB. One consideration will still be the speed of your external. FW-400 might also be a performance issue, though should improve over USB - only a test will tell you if it's now fast enough.

Good luck, and please report if it does get your Audio playing better.

Hunt