6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 9:44 PM by isxvc

PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)

SAMMYDAVIS42

Every-time i launch Premiere Pro CS3 it gets as far as the purple start-up screen and then displays a message that says "The application Premiere Pro quit unexpectedly."

What's gone wrong?

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Thanks.

Sam.

• 1. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Since it sounds as though this is happening before you get the dialog screen allowing you to Open and existing Project or Open a New Project, I'd look at the VST plug-ins that you have. PrPro plays nicely with most, though it cannot use some. Others kill it upon launch. It will try to load all VST's on your system.

Do you have several audio programs? Is, perhaps, Native Instruments one? ProTools? and there are more.

That's the first place that I would look.

Second place would be my sound card's driver. Do not know about the Mac, but a bad, obsolete audio driver will do the same thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
            SAMMYDAVIS42 Level 1

Sorry, but what are VST plug-ins and where would i find them?

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

VST = Virtual Studio Technology and are usually .dll's that are "plugged into" applications that are VST-aware, like Audition, PrPro, ProTools and many others. Here is a LINK with much more detail.

What can happen is that programs, like Audition (PC only), and PrPro can use many. However, they survey the system and will try to load all that they find. If the program cannot use some, what usually happens is the first loading will yield an error message, stating "Premiere cannot use the SampleTank2.dll" (for instance), and you'll never see that message again. In that case, PrPro still loads it, and no harm is done. With some, the program crashes as soon as it attemps to load them. Why some are benign and others deadly is a mystery to me. Probably how they are coded.

If you have any other audio processing programs (most likely to have VST's there), you like have some that PrPro is loading, or trying to load. Like I said, some work, some do not and some kill the program.

Just found a little trick with bad VST's: on a PC, you can take the bad VST's and drag them to the Desktop. Apparently, PrPro will not find them there. When one uses the audio program, they just point it to the Desktop, or drag the folder back to the proper program. For pre-Vista OS's, there is a script to "blacklist" VST's from PrPro, but do not think that it would apply to Mac's.

I also do not know exactly how Mac's "register" VST's, so they may not be an issue. That is what happens when a PC-guy trys to help troubleshoot Mac issues - he can get it all wrong for that platform.

Because of the nature of your crash, on a PC this would throw up the immediate red flag - VST incompatibility. Do not know if it applies to Mac. The VST issues are not the only cause for crashes upon loading, but are probably the major one. Again, this is on the PC, and all could be different on a Mac.

Good luck, and I'll post any other things to think about, should I come up with them.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the FAQ from the PrPro Wiki on "crash on launch." Might be something to note there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
                  SAMMYDAVIS42 Level 1

Thank you very much! its working now

• 6. Re: PREMIERE PRO KEEPS QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY ON LAUNCH (MAC)
                    isxvc Level 1

did you do anything special or did it just suddenly work? Premiere Pro CC is doing the same exact thing, along with many other adobe apps I have recently acquired. Thanks!