25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 3:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book

PaulieDC Level 2

Anyone know what the story is with this book? Several online retailers (Amazon for one) seems to have pulled it off the shelf. Amazon had a notice on their page for it that said something to the effect that "there is a pending issue with this product".

Was it badly written? I probably don't need it now, I've subscribed to the Lynda.com video training library, but I'm just curious (although it's nice having a reference to go through).

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Badly written? NO, its very well written. You will find the author running around these forums: Curt Wrigley, community expert.

Maybe they cannot keep up with the demand.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The Adobe Store shows it.

Have not heard of any issue with it. Other than supply and demand, as Ann mentions, I could only imagine that there might be some legal issue with an image, or something. Curt is good and has done this sort of thing before, so I would doubt that to be an issue.

Maybe he'll stop by and comment,

Hunt

PS I highly recommend the CiaB series.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

The publisher is in contact with me fairly frequently and has not indicated any problems with the book.

I checked a few online retailers and they all seem to have it.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                PaulieDC Level 2

Excellent news, that's what I was hoping to hear! I actually DID find it in stock at Barnes & Noble, and Adobe. Guess Amazon had some sort of digital meltdown.

This one's next on my list! (I like video instruction, but it doesn't replace books)

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

Thanks for the clarification on this.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                    PaulieDC Level 2

I got the book and it is excellent. I'm halfway through and you should see all the notes I've written. This is definitely a "go back to" reference!

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I got the book and it is excellent.

I agree with you. I did not have the CiaB CS3, so cannot compare, but it is a slight departure from earlier CiaB editions. There IS more of the "why," and not just the "how."

I think that Curt has done a very nice job, and can't wait to read through it all. By the fifth page (well before the first Lesson), I had already learned about 6 new things, and I thought that I had followed along on what was new and different with CS4. Man, I missed a lot.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                        PaulieDC Level 2

Yeah, for a book that's teaching something that's so visual by nature, he writes so clearly and makes it easy to follow. Often I'm not at my PC but I can easily visualize what's being said, and I'm a NOOB. Very well written book.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                          topo.webmaster Level 1

Re: What's wrong with "Classroom in a book" for Premiere Pro CS4? Well, as far as the book goes, nothing. But today for the first time I decided to try a project on the disk and found that the source file is not available. I am trying out lesson 10-3, which needs "the writers 1.avi" clip, and it's nowhere to be found on the dvd.

Can I get an updated DVD?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                            PaulieDC Level 2

I've read through the whole book, just recently finished, and now I'm going back through to do the exercises. I'll check my DVD tonight when I get home and see if I'm missing that file. I'll post back about 9pm EDT.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                              PaulieDC Level 2

okc, I checked and I do have the "writers 1.avi" file (it's not titled "the writers 1.avi"). When I opened the project file for 10-3, Premiere did prompt me for the writers 1.avi file, and I selected it and it's all good.

BTW, you DID copy the whole lesson 10 folder to your HD, right? Don't run it off the DVD, and if you're on Vista or Windows 7 make sure you run Premiere as Administrator (you probably know that).

If your DVD doesn't have the file at all, I wonder if I'm allowed to copy mine and send it to you? I could at least throw Lesson 10 on a CD and send it. Anyway, have  look and let me know.

Paulie

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                If your DVD doesn't have the file at all, I wonder if I'm allowed to copy mine and send it to you? I could at least throw Lesson 10 on a CD and send it.

Pauline,

Glad that you found it. little things like that can be confusing. Was the file in the correct lesson folder? I was going to suggest a Search on the DVD, in case it was used in a previous lesson, and anticipation might have been that the reader would already have Imported it into the Project.

As for the file, I'd urge the poster to PM Curt Wrigley, should he/she not have the file. Curt needs to know if there are any issues with the included DVD and its content, and takes this book very seriously. As the material is ©, there would be some legal issues, even though the poster should have that file. I assure you that that file will be made available via other sources. I've been in the same position many times, and have just had to bite my lip, 'cause I had the exact .dll, or whatever, but could not legally share it.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting the exact name of the file. Does the text contain a typo, regarding the official file name? If so, Curt will want to correct that too in subsequent printings.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Pauline,

Glad that you found it.

PaulieDC wasn't the one missing it.  He was only checking for someone else.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                    PaulieDC Level 2

True Jim, but that's OK, Hunt provided good info. If okc writes back and says it does NOT exist on his DVD, we'll send him Curt's way.

BTW Hunt, yes, in my DVD the file was right there in the root of the Lesson 10 folder. I'm not sure why the 10-3 project needed me to locate the writers.avi file when I opened the project, but it was just a mouse-click to make it happen.

JSYK, I made a copy of the Lesson 10-3.prproj file and then changed the .prproj extension to .txt to see if I could open it and look around (if it was binary then I couldn't), and lo and behold, the .prproj files are actually well-formed XML! That made navigation easy (OT: I could have changed the extension to .xml and it would have opened as read-only in Internet Explorer). Anyway, the writers.avi file is spelled correctly inside the project file, so no issue there. Since the DVDs are stamped from a master, it would seem weird that okc's DVD would not have the file.

Maybe he'll write back and let us know if he found it (hmmmm, I assume "he").

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are correct, and I was fully aware of who had the initial issue. What Pauline did was to confirm the exact file name, and that it was located on the DVD. That was what I was commenting on. With that info, the OP should be able to locate it too. That was all.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        lo and behold, the .prproj files are actually well-formed XML!

You have "broken the code." Now, you are a member of the "club!" One can open the .PRPROJ file in WordPad, with "Show All Files." It IS XML, and one can use the Find, and the Replace functions. One does not need to change the file extension at all.

Now, it's time to bestow the "Official PrPro Decoder Ring."

Hunt

BTW - did I read correctly that you are in Philly (Philadelphia, PA, USA for our non-US friends)? With the "DC" on your screen name, I had assumed the District of Columbia. "Look how wrong you can be... " Every Picture Tells a Story, Rod Stewart/Ron Woods

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                          PaulieDC Level 2

You are correct, and I was fully aware of who had the initial issue.

We all either read too fast, reply too quickly, or need a lot more sleep. lol!

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                            PaulieDC Level 2

You have "broken the code."

Thank you, thank you :::::taking bows:::::

Normally I keep Notepad in my SendTo folder so I can right-click on any file and send it to... Notepad! BUT, Microsoft got stinky with Windows 7, I haven't located the SendTo folder yet. You used to be able to rt-click on the Start Button and choose Explore and it would take you right to the SendTo folder. I'll find it...

As far as location... Cinci. The DC is just the captial letters in my last name, and Paulie is because my name is Paul, but I grew up in Jersey (not far from Dennis Radeke) and it's common to add "ie" on the end of names... you know, Frankie, Vinnie, that sorta thing. Too many of us Italians hanging around the Garden State I guess. So anyway, I'm in the midwest now. Louie's not far behind me.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                              PaulieDC Level 2

And finally, here it is! My 100th post! Only 11000 more to go Hunt, I'm on your tail!

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                And finally, here it is! My 100th post!

Congratulations!

Now, the secret is to post to many Adobe fora. For me, it's usually PrPro, PrE and PS, but then there's AE, Auditon, Encore and InDesign.

But with the warning, I AM looking over my shoulder.

Hunt

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                  topo.webmaster Level 1

I don't know if W7 is playing tricks on me, or if I am losing what's left of my 55-year-old brain cells, but I swear to you that yesterday the writers 1.avi was nowhere to be found on the dvd. Even a search of 'writers' turned up nothing. But today I look and, oh, say, there it is! Right where it's s'posed to be. Which one of you guys did it?

Anyway, thanks for the help finding it, even though it turns out that the only thing that was missing was my eptitude.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    Which one of you guys did it?

I'll bet that Curt sneaked in and swapped DVD's on you...

Glad that you found it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                      PaulieDC Level 2

DOH!

No, Win7 isn't playing games, 7 and Vista have a habit of only returning what's been indexed. XP can be guilty of that too. I turn indexing off so my drive isn't running like a geiger counter all day. ::::grrrr:::::: It's really bad with Vista.

I was just griping to Hunt yesterday that I searched for the SendTo folder and it wouldn't return in a search. So, I JUST hunted around and found it ("C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" if anyone's interested in finding theirs). I searched the entire Users folder and nothing came back. You're not nuts, don't worry!

Anyway, glad the writers couldn't hide and you've unlocked the mystery.

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Glad everything worked out ok.

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pauline,

Just as you have done, I keep Windows Indexing turned off. When I need to Search (XP-Pro), I bypass the normal Search and just use the Search Companion in another window. To date, it has worked fine, and so long as I do not mistype the criteria, has found everything I have asked for. Yes, it can be a bit slower, but Windows Indexing can bring an NLE, or image manipulation program to its knees. Some day, I might turn it on for My Documents folders only. It seems that Vista has changed things a bit with Indexing, at least when turning it OFF. I have to also check to set the OFF for all folders on a drive. Now, this only is required when I add a new external to the mix, and it's quick on the otherwise empty disk.

I'll have to pop my DVD into the tray, and try a Search too, just to see what it shows - or doesn't show.

Hunt