8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

file format

vfree

i am using a trial version of premiere elements and i only see the premier elements project file format available. is this the only file format available or are there others that are compatibile with a dvd? is this a limitation of the trial version?

• 1. Re: file format
          Paul_LS Level 4

Not too sure I understand what you mean. The Premiere Elements project file is a .prel file, this is really a data file (xml) that keeps track of your project. Premiere Elements can import a wide range of video formats and export to a wide range as well as burning DVDs. What are your source media files?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: file format
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any use of MPEG files (which includes creating a DVD) requires that Adobe pay a royalty fee

They are not going to pay that fee for a free demo

• 3. Re: file format
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Is the MPEG (MainConcept) CODEC disabled in the PE trial too? I thought that it only watermarked the Exports, so long as it was in the trial mode.

Did this change, or did I just miss it?

I've never done a trial of any Adobe software, so could well have missed something.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: file format
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

vfree, it sounds as though you've confused opening projects with editing video.

You use File/Open to open a project -- a prel file.

You use Get Media to bring video (MPEGs, AVIs, etc.) into your Premiere Elements project for editing.

• 5. Re: file format
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oops... I should have clarified... in Premiere PRO the bundled Encore is not part of the trial at all, since it requires MPEG to operate... and, as far as I know, PPro will not use MPEG in any way in the trial

Forgot I was in the PRe-EL forum

• 6. Re: file format
                    vfree Level 1

Thanks to all who have responded to my post.  Looking at it afresh and seeing the replys makesme realise I was not very clear.  I have created a project using files from still photographs (jpg) and vidio clips (mpg) and saved the project as a .prel file.  I wanted to now have it on a dvd to show using a dvd player and this is where I hit my problem - .prel files do not play on a dvd. (I am new to this as you may have gathered).  Anyway after some experimenting and searching through all the menus I found the "burn DVD" menu option an wala all was solved.  Maybe this will help some other techno-infant.

Vaughan

• 7. Re: file format
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Once again, it sounds like you confused the project file (the .prel file) with the video files.

Just as you import video into a project, you also export (or Share) video from it. As you learned when you burned your DVD.

Glad you got things working, v!

• 8. Re: file format
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You have broken the code! The .PREL, as has been mentioned is just an XML database file, that give PE instructions on where to find the Assets on your system and what to do with those Assets. It can only be used in PE, and PrPro (though the .PRPROJ file from PrPro cannot be used in PE). It can be Opened in WordPad, or similar, and most XML viewers/editors. That is all that you can do with it.

When you Burn a DVD-Video, several files are created, .BUP's, .IFO's and .VOB's. These will be contained in a folder VIDEO_TS. This is the only way that 99% of the DVD players can play the DVD-Video disc.

One can also Burn DVD-Data discs (several flavors), with media files. These can be played from a DVD drive on a computer, just like you'd play them from your HDD. Under a very few and specific circumstances and with a tiny few set-top DVD players, they will also play on the TV. These are rather specific circumstances, so the changes of this happening for you are very close to zero.

You did what you wanted - created a DVD-Video that can now be played from a computer via a DVD software player, or from a set-top player hooked to a TV.

Good luck,

Hunt