12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 4:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it

Dr.. Mario

Hello, I am working on a rather large project in PPCS4. I have my video source files on an external hard drive. I am working on the project between two computers. My computer in my office generated the peak files and that was that. My home computer generates the peak files everytime I open it. Is there some setting that I need to change to get this to stop. Thanks for any help. Mario

• 1. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make sure that you have given this external disk a fixed drive letter in Disk Management, for instance Z and that both computers recognize that drive letter.

• 2. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
            Dr.. Mario Level 1

Thanks for the info. I am currently at home. I am not sure if the computer in my office reads it as E or F at home it is F.  If I change the disk to Z now is there something I can do to get the peak files from generating each time on this computer?

• 3. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
              Jim_Simon Level 8

This often happens because some idiot at Adobe didn't do his job correctly.

For starters, scratch disk files didn't used to go directly into the folder where you put them.  They went into a subfolder with the project name.  So if your scratch disk was set to the "D:/Scratch" folder, Premiere would actually put them into "D:/Scratch/Smith" and "D:/Scratch/Jones", etc.  Each project got it's own subfolder within the "D:/Scratch" folder.  This was efficient and correct.

That no longer happens.  With CS4, they now go into the folder directly.  So if you have two projects, both with a clip called "Tape 1_01", they now both get created in the base "D:/Scratch" folder, no subfolder for each project.  The effect of this is that every time you open the other project with the same named clip, Premiere will regenerate the .pek files, because the one that's already in "D:/Scratch" is for the other "Tape 1_01", not the one for the current project.

Secondly, Adobe finanly did the right thing by making Scratch disk settings project specific, rather than global for all projects.  But that same idiot from earlier forgot to do this with one of the Scratch disks, the Media Cache (.pek and .cfa files) setting.  That one remains global for all projects.  So between these two blunders, we often get Premiere recreating files every time a project is opened.

You can somewhat alleviate this by setting the Media Cache files to be stored directly with the media, rather than in it's own folder, but that is just not always a viable solution.  So, for the time being we're stuck with this mess.

Here's hoping it get's fixed by CS5.

• 4. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

But that same idiot from earlier forgot to do this with one of the Scratch disks, the Media Cache (.pek and .cfa files) setting.  That one remains global for all projects.

The media cache database and its files are shared among all of the suite apps.  That's why it's still global.  It's a very efficient solution for professionals who use more than just Pr when they're working on a project.

So if you have two projects, both with a clip called "Tape 1_01", they now both get created in the base "D:/Scratch" folder,

I find it hard to believe that an experienced, professional editor would have such poor clip names.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                  Dr.. Mario Level 1

So what is my solution. Do I need to change a setting in prefrences? I just want a solution if there is one. Thanks

• 6. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are traveling with your Project between systems. First, take Harm's advice to make sure that the external is seen by the OS of both systems, with the exact same drive letter. You MUST do this for the OS on each computer. That takes care of most of it.

Next, you have two choices:

1.) copy over the Cache files, once conformed and with PEK files generated, to the same location on both machines

2.) or, when you move the Project to the second machine, let the files generate there

If you add Assets, expect this operation on each machine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                      Dr.. Mario Level 1

Ok. I changed the drive to O in disk managment. In the scratch disk settings everything is set to save with the project on the O drive is that correct.

I need some baby steps instructions on this. Right now I have premiere generation peak files for hopefully the last time.

• 8. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

To give you and example. When I put an external into editing service I assign a drive letter going in reverse order. The first was Z:\. I set this on the laptop as Z:\ and then on the workstation as Z:\. The two OS's always see it as Z:\ now. Same for drive Y:\ - same for both OS's, and so on. Unfortunately, I have so many drives on the workstation, an cannot infringe on them, that I now have to use double letters on my externals, as I have about 16 of them. That means that I am back to Z:\, but mark it as ZZ:\. The OS's will not accept that, obviously. What this means is that I cannot have Z:\ and ZZ:\ plugged in at the same time. Not a biggie, but something to be aware of with a ton of externals.

If you have enough drive letters, and few enough externals, this will not be an issue.

Remember, you MUST set the same drive letter in the OS of all computers and it MUST match, or you'll be looking for Assets, when you open the Project on that external.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

The media cache database and its files are shared among all of the suite apps.  That's why it's still global.  It's a very efficient solution for professionals who use more than just Pr when they're working on a project.

I disagree about it being efficient.  I use several apps of the suite, and find it a pain in the *** that Cache files have to be rebuilt for each project as I open it because Premiere doesn't separate the files by project, but simply overwrites them when a different project using the same clips names is opened.  This, like the other scratch disk settings, needs to be a project setting, not a global one. Or at the very least, each project needs to have it's Cache files stored in a project specific subfolder rather than the main specified folder, as it used to.

I find it hard to believe that an experienced, professional editor would have such poor clip names.

That was an example to illustrate the point.  I don't actually use those clips names.  But I do have many different projects all using the exact same clip names - Ceremony 01, Ceremony 02, Ceremony 03, etc.  As these reside in client folders, there is no confusion except for Premiere.

• 10. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                            Dr.. Mario Level 1

Thanks for all the help everyone. I finally got things corrected. No more peak files generating!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 11. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                              count_schemula Level 1

Which was the working solution?

I'm on a laptop with one internal drive, so I should have no drive letter conflicts, even though I'm on a Mac, so I don't have drive letters.

Every time I open my project it goes off on this Peak file nonsense and I basically have to leave my computer on overnight to generate the Peak files.

• 12. Re: Why is PPCS4 generating peak files for the same project everytime I open it
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dr. Mario,

Was the OS drive letter assignment the answer for you?

Hunt