5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 12:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.

geesedude

I've been trying to import some screenshot images (of my desktop) in to a video project i am working on. But i am having the most difficult time in improving the captured screenshot when it's put through Premiere. It looks fuzzy and choppy and i am not sure where i am doing wrong. I am figuring it's either in the way i am preparing the screenshots (using PS) and not outputting it in the proper format, resolution or dimensions, or something in Premiere that i am doing wrong. What should i be looking for here, and what am i not doing right?

David

• 1. Re: Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Resolution should equal sequence settings.

• 2. Re: Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.
            geesedude Level 1

I mean, how do i compare a resolution of an image to that of a video? Since it's a screencapture, it's gonna be at 72 pixels/in, and the video i am producing is shot in HD quality. Is there a way to sync them up... or a way to produce a screenshot that is at a higher resolution?

Attached is what i see in Premiere of an example image.

David

• 3. Re: Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

What you want as your output resolution from Ps is to match your project resolution unless you are going to have to zoom in to the image.  Apparently it looks ok in Ps.  I include still images all the time in the timeline   When you encode to your ouput format is it still choppy, bad quality.  If it encodes out fine it is your hardware.

Darn that quick finger Harm!

• 4. Re: Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.
                gary0612

I'm having this same issue, and I'm fairly new to these boards.  Can you be more specific?

* Are there settings/properties I need to check on the screenshot?

* Does it matter if the screenshot is captured as a PNG, JPG, etc?

* What do I need to check in Premiere to make sure it matches?

Thanks so much for the help

• 5. Re: Screenshot Import Image Is Choppy, Bad Quality.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

First, the Frame Size of one's Project/Sequence will determine how "large" the view of the Imported Still will be. While there are exceptions, when one uses Custom Settings in Desktop, let's just look at the common Frame Sizes for Video. This ARTICLE will give you a chart.

Now, as an example, if one has an SD NTSC Project (for going out to DVD-Video), their Frame Size will be 720x480, with either a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 0.9, or 1.22. If their screen-cap is, say 1680 x 1050 pixels (my laptop), something has to give. If you put the fully sized Still Image into the DV Project, it would be very large, and you would only see part of the screen - that 720 x 480 section. This is probably NOT what one would want, unless they planned to Pan around that larger image.

There are two ways to handle this mismatch between the Frame Size of the Still Image, and the Project:

1.) use Motion>Scale in PrPro to "shrink" the Still Image (or similar "fit to frame" techniques), or

2.) resize that Still Image outside of PrPro, prior to Import.

I almost always do #2, and for two reasons. I find that the resizing algorithms in PS are better than those in PrPro, and because this will lower the "overhead" on the computer. A ton of Still Images, that are larger than needed, will take processing power, better used elsewhere. I resize to just the dimensions that I will need. If I do have to Pan around a Zoomed out image, I calculate how big (or really how "small") I can by with and choose that. Normally, the majority of Still Images get resized TO the exact Frame Size dimensions.

Now, above I said that I liked the resizing algorithms in PS, over those in PrPro. I do. However, we must remember that we have taken a 1680 x 1050 image DOWN to something around 720 x 480. The quality WILL be less. There is no way around it. The closest that one can come is to do the Project, as intended for BD in an HD setting and go with the larger images and Frame Size. That is, as good as it gets.

Video is limiting, compared to print. There, you just hand off a 600 ppi image, and have it printed on fine stock with an 8-color press! You cannot do that in Video. Same thing when going for the Web. You are limited in quality, by the load time of the page. Higher quality images, and the longer it will take to load them. Much of an increase in quality, and your audience will navigate elsewhere.

Here's an ARTICLE that covers one workflow for resizing in PS. It might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt