5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 12:31 AM by mrvanes

Adobe Digital Editions

MadMax1412 Level 1

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I apologise if this thread is in the wrong forum but I couldn't find one for the Digitial Editions.

Anyway, I am interested in buying an E-Reader, in particular the Cool-er from http://www.coolreaders.com/ .  The specifications say that it can read the following formats: PDF, EPUB, FB2, RTF, TXT, HTML, PRC, JPG AND MP3

Now since I've never purchased e-books before, I started having a look around to see what stores are available and found most say that their downloads need Adobe Digital Editions to work.

For example, I found a Dean Koontz novel at Diesel eBooks ( http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/ ) and it says the format it's available in is ePub.

I would have assumed that I would just get this as a download file and be able to copy it to the Cool-er Reader (which plugs in via USB and transfers are done as per any mass storage device).  But looking at the help files, it appears I need to have a product called Adobe Digital Editions open first.  I've just downloaded a test file from their website and found out that ADE downloads the file but it can't be transferred to a stand alone reader other than some Sony reader.

Do you think Adobe will change ADE so it will allow copying of the file to other readers, such as Cool-er?

• 1. Re: Adobe Digital Editions
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It is up to the company that produces the Reader not Adobe. They first have to have their hardware capable of running existant Adobe software or being willing to pay Adobe money to port their software to their hardware. Then they probably have to pay Adobe licensing fees. I can assure you that Adobe loves to make money. BTW, the ePUB format is not related to Adobe software in the least. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB

• 2. Re: Adobe Digital Editions
            MadMax1412 Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned I was thinking of getting a reader and buying electronic books for a couple of reasons. These being:

1.  No need to find bookcase room for all my novels.

2.  Perhaps they will be cheaper than the paper based version.

3.  Lighter to carry around, especially if I take more than one novel.

In my naivety, I thought I could buy any reader, eg Cool-er Reader, and go to any on-line store and buy a book and simply transfer the download to the reader.  Similar to how in the real world (as opposed to the electronic world) I can go to any book store (or even K-Mart etc) and buy a novel and start reading.

Now after looking at some e-Book stores, it seems I have to choose a format such as Palm, Mobi or ePub, and even though the specs for the Cool-er reader say that it supports ePub, it's not a simple matter of selecting that format for the novel I want.  It appears I need to have Adobe Digitial Edition installed and this doesn't allow the novel to be copied to any stand alone device except the Sony.

The Cool-er Reader website says you can buy books from the Coolerbooks.com website.  This book store mentions that you can shop elsewhere if you want, but I'm not too sure how to do that.  I guess I'm concerned that I fork out $249 for the reader and find I can only buy books for it from the Coolerbooks.com website and if that goes belly-up, then I'm stuck with an expensive piece of plastic that I can't utilise.

Regards

Max

• 3. Re: Adobe Digital Editions
              mrvanes

I own a COOL-ER reader and just copied (or transferred) an ADE protected book to the reader succesfully after having authenticated the reader in ADE.

• 4. Re: Adobe Digital Editions
                michael941

How Did you authorize cooler reader???.

• 5. Re: Adobe Digital Editions
                  mrvanes Level 1

Well, I attached it, and authorized it. I do not remember the details, it's been too long.