14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 7:49 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems

Will Crash

I have FCP and Shake.  I realized I do not like node based compositing so I got cs4 production.  I have the updates to premiere and AE that are supposed to make file transfers without any problems.  Since I am on a Mac I cannot bring in video in Premiere in HD.  I use FCP, which I do prefer, export in Apple XML, Import it into premiere with no problems.  HD, correct aspect ratio.  I send out of premiere to a AE project and it all goes wrong.  Video plays back incredibly slow, not in HD and the aspect ratio is all out of whack.  I thought that was the hoopla about the update to cs4.  Is there something I am doing wrong.  I watched the video from Adobe and his worked great.  Even imported all effects.  When I do that it wont import any effects.  Is there a setting I am missing.  Please help.  I needa my AE and I am losing my mind.

• 1. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What specific footage formats and CoDecs do you use? This may not be related to the general workflow, but a specific incompatibility of a CoDec with AE, which also occurs if the files are imported directly. Another thing that might occur, is that AE and Premiere do not properly share the Media Cache or one of the conformed files is throwing things off. Double-check the prefs in both programs, purge the media cache and then try again. Re-opening the projects with a clean slate will re-conform everything, which may prevent the errors.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
            Will Crash Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried multiple codecs.  I use a canon HV30 which outputs everything in HDV60i.  I checked the setting between Premiere and AE and they all seem to be the same.  Of course if I could just import from my camera to Premiere in HD that would solve a lot of the problem, and even though adobe says they have full support for my camera, apparently they don't.  With the new update I can get it to Premiere just fine as long as the film is unedited.  Any edits are distorted beyond belief, but it will come in HD.  Just the last step to AE is what is killing me.

• 3. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This sounds weird. Indeed HDV is handled via MediaCore and should be easy to capture in Premiere. Have you tried al lthe different protocols Does it not run with any of them? I'm sure that using Premiere's native HDV vs. FCP's crooked HDV would solve all your issues... Have you inquired in teh Premiere forums?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hello, Will.

The aspect ratio problem, does the content look squeezed horizontally? If so, the only thing you have to do is enable the Pixel Aspect Ratio preview button in the Comp panel:

PARpreview.jpg

About it not being HD, sounds odd. Go to Composition Settings (Composition > Composition Settings) and check frame size. What does it say there?

About slow playback: AE is not an editing applicaiton. You're not going to get real time playback of foogtage, especially at HD resolutions. You make your adjustments and then invoke a RAM preview for that segment (press the 0 key in the numeric keypad). AE renders the segment into RAM and only then plays it back at full frame rate.

For more information, check Use RAM preview to play video and audio in After Effects help.

• 5. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                  Will Crash Level 1

I have tried every protocol.  I can't even get premiere to recognize my camera unless the output of the camera is on DV locked.  Like I said, the guys from canon even informed me of this, and a couple people on here when I first started to research this problem.  A couple of people on here even decided to stay with FCP, Motion and shake, but I can't.  AE is simply to powerful to let lie.  Thanks

• 6. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                    Will Crash Level 1

I have the pix ration button selected.  I assume it would stay on but mine keeps turning off with every use.  If I click that every time obviously it corrects the frame size, by the way it is 1440x1080.  I have the preset on HDV 1080 29.97.  I shoot in 30 but everything truly comes out of the HV30 at 60i.  I have total loss of HD.  The video is very poor quality.  It looks great in FCP and premiere but in AE it falls completely apart.  Obviously, that I can live with if I have to as long as when I pull it back out to FCP it renders back to HD.  I haven't tried that yet because I know there is a way to to show a beautiful and concise video in AE.  I hope it is just a setting or something I have overlooked but I can't think of anything else.  Thanks

• 7. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems

Is it possible that the "Resolution" menu at the bottom of the Comp panel is set to half or quarter resolution? This is not subtle, and would really make things look bad (unless resolution matches viewing magnification, for example half resolution and 50 per cent magnification, which is a nice way to work with HD content).

Also, when you enable PAR preview, AE uses a low-quality filtering mode (same as what you get with odd viewing ratios like, say, 63.4 per cent). This is a preview thing, it doesn't affect output.

• 8. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                        Will Crash Level 1

I have the res set to full.    I am going to try to output back to FCP and see if res is still high.  I can still composite just won't be able to view the detail till I export out.  Just baffled about the whole mystery here.  Too many people with this problem Ihave come across.  I would think for the money they would just resolve this once and for all and take all the guess work out.  Even though I strongly prefer FCP to Premiere, everyone loves AE, especially us FCP guys.  Thanks for all your help.

• 9. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems

Will: We don't have enough information to state that something is broken or not working correctly. Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with Premiere issues. I'd recommend posting in the Premiere Pro forum, asking about support for your camera.

If it's not the resolution setting, and if it's not the draft quality from enabling PAR correction, there can be something not interpreted correctly in Interpret Footage (Select a footage item in the Project panel, and press the button at the bottom left corner).

Is this an HDV camera, like the HV20 or HV30?

• 10. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                            Will Crash Level 1

Yes.  It is a HV30.

• 11. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems

If you select a clip in the project panel and go to Interpret Footage, what does it say in "Separate fields"? Does it come as upper field first or off?

• 12. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                                Will Crash Level 1

in Premiere is says "use field order from file"  "fields unknown dominance"

• 13. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems

You need to check this in AE, in this case.

If it's set to upper, change it to off or viceversa (and check how that particular clip in the Comp)

It's very difficult to diagnose these things remotely.

If you want to upload a short clip to a file hosting site (like yousendit or similar), I'll take a look.

• 14. Re: FCP to AE Aspect Ratio HD problems
                                    Will Crash Level 1

SOLVED.  I reset everything and went back and followed all your advice on settings while we were going back and forth.  I now have beautiful HD in AE. I am once again happy.  You guys have been great and I would have been lost with you.  Now for the fun task of taking everything back to FCP.  Once again thanks for all your advice.  You all deserve a raise.