5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 7:14 AM by kglad

Previewing Externally Loaded Images

adam000

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way in Flash to preview externally loaded images in Flash while still working.

I am loading images externally to keep the file size down on a piece of elearning but now I'm afraid maintenance will be a nightmare since you don't actually see the screens until you publish. I have interactions on the screens so I need to see them for their placement on screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

• 1. Re: Previewing Externally Loaded Images
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i don't understand the problem but you could load into non-empty target movieclips and you could use the target movieclips to see where you're loading the images.

• 2. Re: Previewing Externally Loaded Images
            adam000 Level 1

This elearning I'm working on is a tutorial of how to use a web application, and there are screen shots on just about every frame. I'm trying to keep the swfs below 1mb in size but some files are 125 frames long with screen shots on most every frame. I decided to load the the screen shots from an external file to keep the size down but the tutoiral is like a simulation as well, were there are areas of the screen the user needs to click and animated arrows that point out key infomation om the screen. Now that I'm loading the images externally, when I'm working in Flash I can't see the screenshots so if changes in interactions occur I won't be able to see where they need to be moved to unless I publish and view the movie.

I'm thinking I can just import the screenshots to the library make my changes then delete out the screen once the changes are made and load that screen from the external file again.

I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do this.

Hope this makes a little more sense...

• 3. Re: Previewing Externally Loaded Images

you can import the images to the library and place them on-stage to help with your positioning.  when you're done remove the image from the stage.  you need not remove the images from the library when you're done making changes.  library items won't add to your swf file size unless they are on-stage or linked for export.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Previewing Externally Loaded Images
                adam000 Level 1

Ok that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

I just wasn't sure if there was a way to preview those external screens in Flash without previewing it.  I knew it was a long shot. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Previewing Externally Loaded Images

you're welcome.

and correct.  there's no way to preview an image, that will be dyanmically loaded, in the authoring environment.