10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 6:11 AM by AttaBoy2

End of Flash?

Webhamster4

I used to love Flash, but now there are more bugs in Flash than in all Windows versions combined. Is this Adobe's way of getting back at Macromedia?

My feeling is that we are neering the end of Flash, especially since Apple will never suport it on the iPhone. Hopefully CS5 will fix some of the worst stuff, but I have the feeling that things will only get worse.

• 1. Re: End of Flash?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know that it's the end of Flash so much as possibly the end of Adobe.  Flash wasn't the only shoddy piece of work that came out of the CS4 suite, and if the indications of their customer support failings that have been popping up are the intended trend, they will not survive.  It smells of a management process gone astray--forgetting what brought them success (although, until Adobe acquired Macromedia's products, I had almost zero use for their products).  The big seats will probably strap on their golden parachutes and land a safe distance away from the crash site, so it's likely no concern for them. In those circles there's always another venture that can be driven to failure with profits.

I doubt Apple will have much impact on the future of Flash though--refusing to support Flash will be Apple's loss.

• 2. Re: End of Flash?
            Cyboide Level 3

Hi,

Adobe's end? Well, I don't even see a serious contender here. Photoshop. Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign... No, I think Adobe won't go down any time soon, short or long term, bugs or not. These softwares I just mentionned are the main and most renown tools in the design, graphical and printing industries.

And no, I do not work for Adobe.

Flash and Dreamweaver are also part of the main tools of the web industry. So, the end of Flash? No, not at all. Flash websites are still (and since many years) the most modern looking websites that can be done out there, even though it implies more and more 3D skills for the very highend ones.

Apple's IPhone... The minute one of the (serious) competitors will have Flash working in their cellphone, Apple will follow (if they don't do it first).

Plus, no matter how long it lasts, the IPhone is a hype, a craze. Unlike Flash.

Design Cyboïde

Création de sites web Montréal

• 3. Re: End of Flash?
              zm15 Level 1

Cyboide wrote:

Hi,

Adobe's end? Well, I don't even see a serious contender here. Photoshop. Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign... No, I think Adobe won't go down any time soon, short or long term, bugs or not. These softwares I just mentionned are the main and most renown tools in the design, graphical and printing industries.

And no, I do not work for Adobe.

Flash and Dreamweaver are also part of the main tools of the web industry. So, the end of Flash? No, not at all. Flash websites are still (and since many years) the most modern looking websites that can be done out there, even though it implies more and more 3D skills for the very highend ones.

Apple's IPhone... The minute one of the (serious) competitors will have Flash working in their cellphone, Apple will follow (if they don't do it first).

Plus, no matter how long it lasts, the IPhone is a hype, a craze. Unlike Flash.

Design Cyboïde

I have to definitely agree with this. Not to mention the video industry with After Effects. This is a staple in the motion graphics industry, and even many big name movies. The sheer volume of professionals that use these products i don't believe will let the 'ship sink' so to say because their livlihoods depend on Adobe's products, and you can bet they will have input on this.

• 4. Re: End of Flash?
                AttaBoy2 Level 4

OhNO!!...I thought it was just the end of the world!

• 5. Re: End of Flash?
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I said, I don't see the end of Flash coming, and I would add on all of the other products you mention if they are worth their salt... but don't confuse products with the companies that sell them... products often outlive companies... you could ask Macromedia if they were still around.  I've experienced what happens when companies take a cavalier approach to doing business, which is easy to do when you monopolize a market... and that approach is often paralleled by a focus on short term gains... get it while the gettin' is good, 'cause the for sale sign is going up before you know what hits the fan.

• 6. Re: End of Flash?
                    AttaBoy2 Level 4

From what I've heard Flash already has a life outside Adobe in the relm of open source.

• 7. Re: End of Flash?
                      Cyboide Level 3

Your so right, Ned.

Softwares are like books: the novel is more important than the publisher, a novel can be republished later by another publisher. Indeed, and Adobe could fall like any other.

However, with softwares, there is a serious risk when they change hand. We, flash community, were lucky when Flash passed from Macromedia to Adobe a few years ago. I've seen softwares changing hand and disapearing quickly. "Correcteur-101" was, or is, a french text-corrector, very, very popular, until another company bought it: it went down, all the way down. I don't even know if the software exists anymore.

The thing is, unlike books, softwares must evolve, follow the stream of the web and technology, new platforms, new needs, etc., and be well distributed. It takes a solid company today to keep a software alive.

I'm sure Flash could survive a new owner, a new "publisher"; it is the Afterward that would put me in doubt...

Design Cyboïde

• 8. Re: End of Flash?
                        concinnate

I am probably one of the first people to try to use Flash to do serious IT-type work. I've been doing forms and client-server interaction with it since early 2004. I could not be happier with the direction this is all taking. CS4, Flex, AIR... this is great. Yes, it's buggy. All huge advances are buggy. I'm working through them like everyone else. But even as it is, it's better than anything else out there, and its promise is enormous.

• 9. Re: End of Flash?
                          webqaflash Level 3

I think adobe will cause the flash out of websites.

The flashpayer 10 take most of the CPU to perform.

When all realise about it, I think will be the end.

• 10. Re: End of Flash?
                            AttaBoy2 Level 4

This is the end ....do...do ..do....my only friend ...the end.  Don't you think you're being just a bit dramatic?  I mean Adobe products do tend to be a bit on the bloated side but a few weeks on Jenny Craig and they'll be fine.