6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 2:51 PM by Jerome.G

fps problem when encoding in H 264

Jerome.G

Hi all,

I am having problem with the CS4 Media encoder when trying to export HD MPEG2 content into H.264. Whatever preset I use I get a choopy output video file with a fps in the 6-8 range instead of 30. I found this link to a forum where somebody seems to have the exact same problem I have:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/779276

For him changing the Multiplexer stream compatibility from standard to Ipod fixed it but not for me. When changing this option to ipod I get a better frame rate but the frames start jumping and the video looks jittery. I tried to encode on two different computers, one running Vista 64bits with AMD Opteron CPUs and one running Windows Vista 32bits with an Intel Core2 and same result.

The low fps on the output file does not seem to be a playback issue because I tried those files on multiple very capable machine and a PS3 and it's all the same. I have the same problem whatever H.264 format preset I use 1080p, 720p, ... The audio is fine and the problem is only the video.

I am pretty much running out of ideas as I don't know if the problem comes from the H.264 encoder, the multiplexer or something else. MPEG2 export seems to work fine and I can generate m2t files that play perfect on computers and PS3. The thing is I need to generate mp4 files with H264 for size and playback reasons and I can't. Any suggestion?

Thanks

• 1. Re: fps problem when encoding in H 264
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Perhaps try exporting to an I-frame only intermediary first, using Lagarith codec maybe.  And then try encoding that intermediary to H.264.

• 2. Re: fps problem when encoding in H 264
            Jerome.G Level 1

Some updates. I downloaded all the latest updates for premiere and media encoder and updated my video card drivers (8600GT) and the problem is still there. I decided to give a try to MainConcept plugin for CS4. Using this plugin encoder I can now produce H264 .mp4 and .m2ts (AVCHD) videos that play perfect on my PS3. However those files still have a lousy fps on my computer so I believe there is something wrong with my PC with H.264 playback.

I'd be surprise if my machine was underpowered but maybe. Here is what I have:

-Two Dual core Opteron 2216 (2.4GHz)

-16GB DDR2

-Nvidia 8600GT video card

-300Gb SATA 7200rpm for main drive

-3x 750Gb SATA 7200rpm configured in RAID5

As far as software:

-Vista 64bit

-Windows media player v11.0.6001.7000

-Quictime v7.6.2

I have the K-Lite codec pack installed. Could this be a problem?

I checked the playback of my .m2ts using the graphedit tool and it shows ffdshow for the video decoder and uses a libavcodec for H.264. Anybody sees a problem there?

Thanks

• 3. Re: fps problem when encoding in H 264
              Jerome.G Level 1

Encoding with the Mainconcept HD Pro 4.0.2 plugin seems to woking fine.

As far as the slowplayback on computer using WMP and QT it seems to be because none of those players have H.264 hardware accelerationLooking at CPU usage it seems that 1080p H264 files manage to bring both my Dual core Opteron to their knees. Apparently Apple has H.264 hardware acceleration on all the latest Macs but this is not a feature they have built into Quicktime yet for people using PCs

I read that H.264 hardware acceleration on WMP11 is poosible as long it uses a codec that has the acceleration enabled such as CyberLink MPEG4 AVC Decoder (DXVA) -or- CoreAVC (no DXVA). I'll try to install those codecs and see if I get any improvement.

I feel I've made some progress but I still don't understand why the Mainconcept H.264 encoder can't produce correct files when the one that comes with the Mainconcept HD Pro plugin works. I really don't want to buy this plugin when I feel this something CS4 should be able to do as is. Anybody has any idea if there could be a hardware accelareation type of issue with the encoder?

• 4. Re: fps problem when encoding in H 264
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I still don't understand why the Mainconcept H.264 encoder can't produce correct files when the one that comes with the Mainconcept HD Pro plugin works.

Here's my theory.

The included MainConcept component is for export purposes.  The add-on is for editing purposes - it adds functionality for interframe compressed media, which you are using.  It could be that the added functionality is what causes the process to work.

Have you tried to export a Lags intermediary yet?  There's a good chance it'll solve the problem, and for free.

• 5. Re: fps problem when encoding in H 264