Perhaps try exporting to an I-frame only intermediary first, using Lagarith codec maybe. And then try encoding that intermediary to H.264.
Some updates. I downloaded all the latest updates for premiere and media encoder and updated my video card drivers (8600GT) and the problem is still there. I decided to give a try to MainConcept plugin for CS4. Using this plugin encoder I can now produce H264 .mp4 and .m2ts (AVCHD) videos that play perfect on my PS3. However those files still have a lousy fps on my computer so I believe there is something wrong with my PC with H.264 playback.
I'd be surprise if my machine was underpowered but maybe. Here is what I have:
-Two Dual core Opteron 2216 (2.4GHz)
-Nvidia 8600GT video card
-300Gb SATA 7200rpm for main drive
-3x 750Gb SATA 7200rpm configured in RAID5
As far as software:
-Windows media player v11.0.6001.7000
I have the K-Lite codec pack installed. Could this be a problem?
I checked the playback of my .m2ts using the graphedit tool and it shows ffdshow for the video decoder and uses a libavcodec for H.264. Anybody sees a problem there?
Encoding with the Mainconcept HD Pro 4.0.2 plugin seems to woking fine.
As far as the slowplayback on computer using WMP and QT it seems to be because none of those players have H.264 hardware accelerationLooking at CPU usage it seems that 1080p H264 files manage to bring both my Dual core Opteron to their knees. Apparently Apple has H.264 hardware acceleration on all the latest Macs but this is not a feature they have built into Quicktime yet for people using PCs
I read that H.264 hardware acceleration on WMP11 is poosible as long it uses a codec that has the acceleration enabled such as CyberLink MPEG4 AVC Decoder (DXVA) -or- CoreAVC (no DXVA). I'll try to install those codecs and see if I get any improvement.
I feel I've made some progress but I still don't understand why the Mainconcept H.264 encoder can't produce correct files when the one that comes with the Mainconcept HD Pro plugin works. I really don't want to buy this plugin when I feel this something CS4 should be able to do as is. Anybody has any idea if there could be a hardware accelareation type of issue with the encoder?
I still don't understand why the Mainconcept H.264 encoder can't produce correct files when the one that comes with the Mainconcept HD Pro plugin works.
Here's my theory.
The included MainConcept component is for export purposes. The add-on is for editing purposes - it adds functionality for interframe compressed media, which you are using. It could be that the added functionality is what causes the process to work.
Have you tried to export a Lags intermediary yet? There's a good chance it'll solve the problem, and for free.
I tried the Lagarith codec, generated an uncompressed file using it and then tried to recompress into H264 format but the resulting MP4 file was not even playable on my PS3. The maximum render quality did not seem to fix the problem either.
I got more success using the H.264 BluRay format. I can generate M2TS file by muxing an m4v and wav files with Tsmuxer. The file plays great on PS3.
I also managed to get a small Ipod MP4 file generated using the H.264. There is a playback issue on the PC with Quicktime 7.5 but this is a known problem and the file plays great on MAC and IPOD touch. The trick here is to use Ipod setting in the stream compatibility option of the multiplexer option and NOT mp4.
I am giving up on getting a playable file using the HDTV 1080p settings of H.264 format. The H.264 BluRay format is working for me and I can then use Tsmuxer to get either mp4 or m2ts files.
Oh also another trick I found for WMV files. The PS3 doesn't understand Windows Media Audio 10 Professional. You need to select 9.2 audion codec if you want to have the sound on WMV files on PS3.