15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 1:19 PM by Heimhenge

AME takes too long!

abc20000

Hello,

i currently am having trouble encoding a premiere pro project in CS4, im trying to export a 50 minute or so video  to any either .avi or mpeg2-DVD but no matter what settings i put it says it should take about 8 HOURS!

my machine should be fast enough since this is regular mini DV video from my video camera

my comp:

intel core 2 quad 2.83GHz

4GB ram

Nvidia 9400 GT

Asus P5Q pro turbo

help anyone!

• 1. Re: AME takes too long!
          Heimhenge Level 1

Not sure what "AME" means, but I can tell you a few things about render times.  I have a similar hardware setup, and it's not at all uncommon to get 8 hour render times if:

1.  Other processes are running in the background.  Use EndItAll to kill that stuff.

2.  You have applied lots of effects (crops, gamma, contrast, etc) to the video on the timeline.

3.  You are working with source video in anything other than DV-AVI or uncompressed AVI.

4.  You are exporting video to a format that requires more processing than AVI (mpg, mov, etc.).

Sometimes it will just take that long for a 50 minute video.  Even if you're doing everything right.

Dan Heim

• 2. Re: AME takes too long!
            abc20000 Level 1

i meant adobe media encoder.

its regular .avi video captured through firewire and it only has a sharpen and anti-alias effect.

• 3. Re: AME takes too long!
              Heimhenge Level 1

Try running the render with those two filters removed, just as a test, and see what Premiere predicts for the render time.  In my experience, anti-aliasing and sharpen can add a LOT of processing time, since they have to compute new pixels based on adjacent pixels.  By comparison, a contrast filter only needs to compute new values for individual pixels.  Please report back on your results.  Good luck.

Dan Heim

• 4. Re: AME takes too long!
                abc20000 Level 1

for some reason when i click render antire work area nothing happens or render effects nothing happens either.

• 5. Re: AME takes too long!
                  Heimhenge Level 1

First make sure that the "work area" bar is extended to include your whole project on the timeline.  I don't have the latest version of Premiere, but I'm guessing it's still the yellow bar at the top of the timeline.

That said, what I meant for you to try was exporting (which also does a render) as you tried the first time, when it told you it would take 8 hours.  With the two filters removed, now what does it tell you the render time will be.  I predict it will be a WHOLE lot less.  Like I said, those two filters involve a lot of processing.

Dan Heim

• 6. Re: AME takes too long!
                    abc20000 Level 1

well since i couldnt figure out how to render it just wouldnt happen, i exported and started encoding with both the de-interlace and sharpen filters off its now down to 5 hours....is that normal for such standard quality video?

• 7. Re: AME takes too long!
                      Heimhenge Level 1

If you have eliminated the other possibilities (background processes running, etc.) then it just might be the complexity of the original video.  Whatever compression codec you use, the bottom line is that for video where the frames change rapidly (lots of action, fast motion, rapid zooms or pans) there is more data to be encoded.  All things equal, the video content itself can increase the file size significantly.

Imagine a time-lapse video of the Moon rising.  Most of the pixels never change.  The compressor can achieve a huge reduction in file size.

Like I said ... sometimes it just takes longer to render (a.k.a. "export").

So does your video contain a lot of action (changing pixels)?

Dan Heim

• 8. Re: AME takes too long!
                        abc20000 Level 1

actually no its a speech and the size is like 720x 480 its pretty pixelated .....hmm but the filesize is like 12.7 Gb (the original firewire capture)

• 9. Re: AME takes too long!
                          Heimhenge Level 1

If it only 50 minutes long, and the filesize is 12.7 Gb, then you must be working with an uncompressed AVI.  Correct?

You say "it's pretty pixelated."  By that, I'm assuming you mean it contains a lot of video noise?  As far as the processing goes, especially with the filters you want to apply, that's the same thing as having a lot of "action."  The more pixels that change each frame, the busier those filters will be in terms of processing each frame.

I repeat my last question:  remove the filters, then try to export the movie (you can cancel at any point ... this is just a test to establish that it's the filters that cause the 8 hour render time).  Allow the export to run for a couple minutes as Premiere computes a predicted total processing time.  I expect you will get an estimate far less than 8 hours.  If you do, then there's no problem.  Premiere is behaving exactly as expected.  Like I said, sometimes it just takes a lot of time for these things, even on a fast machine.

If you remove the filters and still get 8 hours to process a 50 minute video, then you have some other problem.

Dan Heim

• 10. Re: AME takes too long!
                            jefbak Level 1

If you have turned off the timeline filters and Premiere pro cs4 is the only app running, and you are exporting to one of the DVD presets without any export filters there either, then your render should almost be real-time with the  specs you give: about an hour, maybe a little more with 2-pass turned on.

• 11. Re: AME takes too long!
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>50 minutes long, and the filesize is 12.7 Gb, then you must be working with an uncompressed AVI.  Correct?

No... DV AVI type 2, which is "lightly" compressed when created in the camera, onto the tape, is about 13gig per hour

UNcompressed is larger (I don't know the exact number, I only work with DV AVI type 2)

• 12. Re: AME takes too long!
                                abc20000 Level 1

well as i was suggested by heimhenge i turned off the sharpen and de-interlace and exported to mpeg2-DVD and after a little while it said that the total time would be 5 hours.... is that normal?

• 13. Re: AME takes too long!
                                  Heimhenge Level 1

I thought you said earlier that you had also applied an antialiasing filter.  Did you turn that off too?  If so, then 5 hours seems too long for a 50 minute video.  There must be something else going on.  If you have also killed all the background processes (using EndItAll or whatever)  then I am stumped.

Dan Heim

• 14. Re: AME takes too long!
                                    abc20000 Level 1

i meant de-interlace sorry not anti-alias. And yes i killed all processes with end it all turned off the sharpen and de-interlace effects and it still takes about 4 hours and 37 minutes to encode.....

• 15. Re: AME takes too long!
                                      Heimhenge Level 1

Oh ... well, I'm not sure how intensive the de-interlace processing is, but I know that sharpen and antialias are.  4+ hours still seems too long, so there must be something else going on.  I'm out of ideas here.  Sorry.  Maybe someone else can jump in and help.  Good luck, but you might just have to put up with a long processing time.

Dan Heim