4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 9:38 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

How to export an image map as polygons?

zvxczbxbz

Hoping someone can help with this as im having no luck with google.

I have a shape and in the attributes i have set the image map as polygon and put in a url

I export this in jpg format and it generates a jpg and html file. however, the HTML file is only showing rectangle.

<area shape="rect" coords="70,85,278,282" href="http://www.example.com">

I would have expected this choosing rectangle for the image map.

I am trying to export polygon coordinates.

Does any one know why this is not working and what i have missed?

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: How to export an image map as polygons?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The sahpe is most likely a compound/ grouped path or something like that, which means the coordinates of the vertices can't be read. It needs to be a closed path at the root level.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to export an image map as polygons?
            zvxczbxbz Level 1

Thanks for the reply....Am very new to illustrator... so still trying to figure things out.

That kind of makes sense, and i have found some plug-ins to try for the image i am working on, to find and close any open paths

I have tried making a polygon image map using the basic star tool - selecting attributes to polygon.... but again on exporting it exports as rectange.

Is there any reason it should not work on this basic shape?

if you could give me an example of how to create a really simple polygon image map... might help me figure out what i am doing wrong

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to export an image map as polygons?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It may depend on how your image map interacts with other items in your document. I'm sorry, I'm not the greatest AI user and I ddo all my web-design in DW directly, so I can't really help you beyond what little advise I've already written. Maybe someone else has an idea...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to export an image map as polygons?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

This was posted before and I tried it myself but when I exported the polygon shape image map it exported properly.

In the attributes you must choose polygon as the option it is not good enough just to have the shape a polygon.

Perhaps the problem might be connected to the document color space was the document the default CMYK or was it a we document from the start?

But what I always do is make a slice of the art or the artboard and save for the web as a jpeg and include the html.

You can check it out here http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Polygon.html

Here are the screen shots of what I did

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png