5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 11:47 AM by Gregory Lafrance

Release Build Issue

Jake Lyman Level 1

Hello!

I'm stuck on something pertaining to my release build. It's not working. I know there could be a lot of reasons for this, most related to path dependencies within my code. In my troubleshooting, however, I've stumbled across an issue that I think is at the root of the problem. I'm hoping someone has a solution!

Here it is:

I'm using Flex Builder 3, and it's an AS3 project. Running the project is no problem. Works great from the bin-debug folder. As soon as I pull the files in the bin-debug folder into another folder, however, it no longer runs. I'm doing this in the most basic way possible. Here are the steps I'm taking:

1. create a new folder at the same level as bin-debug. Calling it, creatively, bin-debug2.

2. copying all the files in bin-debug and pasting them in bin-debug2.

3. opening my browser and surfing to bin-debug/project.html - works perfect.

4. opening my browser and surfing to bin-debug2/project.html - doesn't work.

How is it possible for the exact same files not to work just because the parent folder has a different name?

I believe answering this will solve my release build issues.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Release Build Issue
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Try Project - Clean

What exactly is NOT happening, so what is going wrong.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

• 2. Re: Release Build Issue
            Jake Lyman Level 1

Hi Greg,

Thank you for taking time to help me troubleshoot this.

Running the bin-debug version of the projects main .html page in a browser works. Meaning, the page loads, I see the default background color I've set in the compiler, and the opening animation starts.

Then I copy and paste all of the files in bin-debug to bin-debug2. Try running the exact same .html file. The page opens in the browser and I see the default background color I've set in the compiler. The opening animation never starts.

Thanks,

Jake

• 3. Re: Release Build Issue
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

I think this is security issue.

To run the app anywhere outside bin-debug, compile with -use-network=false.

To run the app on the server, compile with -use-network=true.

bin-debug is the development environment, so that compiler flag is not as important.

• 4. Re: Release Build Issue
                Jake Lyman Level 1

Wow. Thanks, Greg. You did it!!

With every release build do you have to manually tell the compiler -use-network=true? When I was looking for a solution prior to coming here, all the explanations said was needed was to choose "Project/Export Release Build..." Or are there only specific instances when you need to set that flag to true or false?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Release Build Issue
                  Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Many people use automated build scripts, so there the compiler options would be set, with -use-network=true, but in your development environment maybe it would be false or may not matter.

I think you typically would not have a release build with it set to false, cause then it would only work on the local machine and could not connect to the web.