4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 5:14 AM by Christoph vL

Help please - Composing video by using the same clip multiple times

Christoph vL

Hi people,

I have a 9 min video which I want to cut into pieces and make into a 3 min video. I searched the help system and this forum, but found nothing - most likely (not being a native speaker) looking for the wrong keywords.

How can I add the same clip multiple times to a movie? If that was solved, I could do the rest with setting in- and outpoints and would be done.

Thank you in advance.

Christoph

• 1. Re: Help please - Composing video by using the same clip multiple times
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say you want to cut up a 9 minute into pieces to make a three minute video, do you mean you want to use a 3 minute segment of the video or you want to remove several cuts from the 9 minute video so that 3 minutes of video are left? There's a different process for each.

One involves trimming, removing video from the beginning and end of a video clip.

The other involves splitting, slicing your clip in several spots and removing the unwanted segments.

How you duplicate what's left depends on which you want to do.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help please - Composing video by using the same clip multiple times
            Christoph vL Level 1

Hi Steve,

I mean I want to take multiple bits out of the 9 min video, crop them individually and put them together again - not necessarily in the same order than before.

Christoph

• 3. Re: Help please - Composing video by using the same clip multiple times
              Paul_LS Level 4

You can place the clip on the timeline and use the Split Clip tool (the little scissors icon under the monitor) to split your clip. Place the cursor where you want to cut your clip and then click on the scissor icon. Then move the cursor to the next position and click on the scissor icon again. Then hit Delete on your keyboard and that section will be removed and the gap will be closed. If you wish you can take the little sections you have created and drag them around changing their positions.

Once you have edited your clip you can export the 3 minute section as a DV-AVI for using multiple times in your video. All you need to do to export it is File>Export>Movie. If you have multiple clips on your timeline you need to place the work area bar (WAB), the grey bar above your timeline, over the section you want to export. Then in the Export Movie window go to Settings and for Range select Work Area Bar.

You can then import this 3 minute clip back into your project and use it as many times as you wish.

• 4. Re: Help please - Composing video by using the same clip multiple times
                Christoph vL Level 1

Thank you both,

the scissor tool was what I needed and couldn't find on my own.

Christoph