21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 7:37 AM by A.T. Romano

Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?

M$M7 Level 1

Hi everyone!  I am new to the Forums.  I have been working with Premiere Elements 4 for approx. 1 year now.  My latest project has me frustrated.  I completed all my changes from my original like I always did.  Then I previewed the menus and scene selections and burned it to a DVD/R (as usual).

When I put it into my DVD player, the highlighting around the scene selection buttons on those menu pages was now gone.  When I previewed them before burning, All was there.  Now you can't see where you are to navigate through the menu buttons.  The main menu page still shows up OK.  I burned it in Widescreen.

I looked at my original burned DVD, It was fine with the scene selections.  I tried deleting all the scene selection markers, and even re-doing the entire main menu pages.  Each time I burned a disc to see if it made a difference.  No luck.  The only other difference I could see was the original I burned was fullscreen, not widescreen.  So I tried to burn a copy in fullscreen.  Everything worked.  The scene selections were now highlighted again.

Does anyone out there know, or can tell me what is happening here?  This should burn just the same with fullscreen and widescreen.  I made no other changes between those last 2 copies.  What can I do to burn a good copy in Widescreen?  It looks sooooo much better in widescreen on my TV.

Thanks.

M&M

• 1. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It may be a problem with that particular template.

Are you saying that the highlight doesn't show up over each scene button? Is this problem evident both when you play the DVD on your DVD player and TV and on your computer?

Which template are you using? Have you tried another template to see if you get the same result?

• 2. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG has asked a lot of good questions, and I too will be looking forward to your responses.

But, I just wanted to clear away a few details. If I understand your situation correctly, you are making changes from an original. Does that mean that you have a project prel that you re-opened and are re-editing it? Further, was that original set up with a project preset of NTSC DV Standard? When you have gone to burn the edited Timeline to disc, what are you using in the Burn to Disc dialog, NTSC Standard or Widescreen?

ATR

• 3. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
              M$M7 Level 1

To answer your questions first, A.T. Romano, Here it goes....  Yes I did have an original project prel. with all my video clips and pictures in it.  I then re-opened it and cut some of the non-essential stuff out after watching it on the TV.  And again, Yes, that original was set up with the NTSC Dolby DVD burning size.  When I made my changes, I burned it to NTSC Widescreen. 

Would that really make that much of a difference?

Oh, by the way, I was using the Wedding Theme and Menus.  And I've used them before with widescreen and no problems.

• 4. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                M$M7 Level 1

Steve Grisetti, The highlight doesn't show up over any of the scene buttons.  I have 3 pages of scene selections, and they are all the same, no highlight.  And I also noticed that when I viewed it in Premiere Elements 4 before burning, the arrow buttons around the main menu button you see with the scene selection pages were black when you went over them.  When I burned the disc, they turned white or a cream color highlight now.  (I hope I described that right)  If that helps any with figuring this out let me know.

Yes, this problem occurs when I play it on my computer and 2 different DVD Players with my TVs.

I am using the Wedding Template with the Menus.  I have used this one before and it worked then.  I did't try another template with widescreen on this one.  But I would think that if it was the Template, it would not work with the fullscreen or NTSC Dolby DVD (standard) format.

• 5. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try a different template and see if you have the same problems.

It's quite possible, as I've said, that the template was designed with an incorrect highlight color (it happens!), a color that doesn't show up on your final DVD.

When this happens, we've occasionally fixed the templates and made them available at http://Muvipix.com.

BTW, I see 8 different templates listed under Wedding Themes. Can you be more specific about which template you're using?

• 6. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

I am not sure if my question to you and your answer to it will impact the disappearance of the scene selection page thumbnail highlights. Now that I have all your details, I will check it out myself.

The reason that I brought up the point in my question is this. If you look in the DVD Template Folder in the program files for Premiere Elements and look at the individual templates, you will notice a pair for standard and a pair for widescreen for a given DVD Template Menu. When you set the project preset in the New Project dialog of Premiere Elements, the DVD Template set is set. So, if your project preset is set for NTSC DV Standard, you will have DVD Template Menu .psd files for standard when you get to Create Menus. If your project preset is set for NTSC DV Widescreen, you will have DVD Template Menu .psd files for widescreen when you get to Create Menus. When you get to Share/Disc/Disc and are ready to burn to disc, changing the NTSC Standard there to NTSC Widescreen is not going to change the DVD Template Menu from Standard to Widescreen. I think I picked that bit of information from the Premiere Elements Help PDF. It has gotten people in menu visual distortions under the circumstances in the past.

While I am testing out my theory, could you:

a. do a mini test run...open a new Premiere Elements project and, in the New Project dialog, set the Project Preset to NTSC DV Widescreen. When the program opens, place a few pieces of media on the Timeline, go to Create Menus, use the same menu as before, and burn to disc with the setting NTSC Widescreen. When you place that DVD-VIDEO in the DVD player, do you have the same scene menu highlight problems as before?

I will report back later with my mini tests, either supporting my thoughts or shooting them down and sending them to trash.

ATR

• 7. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

It appears that my question did have relevance after all. Check out the following.

I opened a new project in Premiere Elements 4 and set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard.

Next, put an AVI MPEG4 video on the Timeline and placed 5 scene markers on the Timeline.

Then, I went to Create Menus/Wedding Category/Outdoor Wedding and applied the Outdoor Wedding to the project.

Next, I went to Share/Disc/Disc and burn to disc with NTSC Standard preset.

Result: No problems with main and scene menu as viewed and navigated on the TV. All main and scene menu buttons had the expected highlights for selection.

When the project was finished burning, I clicked Done in Burn to Disc area, went back to Create Menus, left everything as is there, and went to Share/Disc/Disc and burn to disc, this time with NTSC Widescreen (remember the project preset was still NTSC Standard as detailed in previous post).

Result: On the TV, the main menu button highlights worked, but there were no highlights for the scene menu buttons.

Next, I opened a new project in Premiere Elements 4 and set the project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen.

Same routine as before.

Finally, Share/Disc/Disc with a burn to disc with NTSC Widescreen preset.

Result: All main and scene menu buttons had the expected highlights for selection.

Until proven otherwise, the results from those three mini tests suggest to me that your scene menu highlight problem is being caused by the mismatch of project preset and export preset setting. As far as I have ever known,

a. the project preset (New Project dialog) controls the set for DVD Template format

b. once you open a project and set the project preset in the New Project dialog, there is no way to reverse that setting there which is setting the DVD Template Menu version standard, widescreen, or HD.

c. mismatches between project preset and export preset can create visual distortion problems when movie shown on TV

d. only corrective action that I know of is to open a new project with a project preset that will match the intended export preset.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Important Add On....

This test was done only with the menu that you said that you were using.

You could try this with a different DVD Template Menu, but I believe that you will get the same result and come to the same conclusion that should apply to more than just this one specific DVD Template Menu.

Nevertheless, check it out.

ATR

• 9. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Another Add On.....

Regarding not being able to change a project preset once the Premiere Elements project .prel is opened...It is my recollection that somewhere in the threads in this forum is a procedure by Paul_LS on a way to do that. Maybe he will see this post and confirm or say no. But, based on that same fuzzy recollection, it might be easier just to start a new Premiere Elements project with the appropriate project preset to avoid the issue in question.

ATR

• 10. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                            M$M7 Level 1

AT Romano,

First, I must thank you very much for all your research and help with this matter!!!!  I understand that I need to open a new project and basically start over.  I really never paid much attention to the project settings box at the new project box.  I didn't know I could pick standard or widescreen there.

So, now I have a really big question.  Since I have this 2 1/2 hr wedding already completed and editted, can you or anyone else tell me if there is a way to magically transfer what I already did to the new project I need to create?

I know it is a long shot, but I have to ask it.

Thanks again for your help.

• 11. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                              M$M7 Level 1

Steve,

I was using the Outdoor Wedding menus.  If you look at AT Romano's comments and research on 8-1-09 he figured out that I needed to change the settings in the new project box when I started.  I didn't do that to burn it for Widescreen.

Would you know of any way to change that setting now that I already have my project completed?  It would save me a great deal of time so I don't have to re-do the entire 2 1/2 hr wedding DVD.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

I am also certain that sometime in 2008, Paul_LS reported on a way to alter project presets within a project. It may have worked for a least one person. But, I do not know if it can reverse the DVD Template Menu business. I am searching for that link that I remembered seeing somewhere. Hopefully, Paul_LS will see this and respond directly to my recollection.

Good luck.

ATR

• 13. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                  Paul_LS Level 4

Yes you can edit the xml project file to change from widescreen to standard or vice versa.

To convert a 4:3 NTSC project to widescreen, in WordPad do a search and replace:
                                  <PixelAspectRatio>648,720</PixelAspectRatio>
                                  to
                                  <PixelAspectRatio>864,720</PixelAspectRatio>

For widescreen to 4:3 just swap the numbers above. You also have to clear the rendered files afterwards (from the menu select Timeline>Delete Render Files)
                                  Good idea to make a backup of your .prel project file first.

• 14. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul_LS

Thanks for seeing the request and posting. In reversing a project preset from standard to widescreen, do you have any idea if the format of the DVD Template Menu will be changed also from standard to widescreen or is that under some other programing in Premiere Elements?

If you are not sure, maybe I will give it a try and see what happens.

ATR

• 15. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                      Paul_LS Level 4

Sorry, not sure about the DVD template.

• 16. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                        M$M7 Level 1

Paul LS,

Thank you for the information on changing the project to widescreen.  But I don't have word pad, and I did a number of searches in windows looking for a xml project file, or just <PixelAspectRatio>648,720</PixelAspectRatio>.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  I did a search in the Premiere Elements folders and the entire Computer.  Am I going about this the wrong way.

I saw in Premiere Elements 4 that there is a place you can edit some project settings, but the aspect ratio was not one of them.

Thank you for your time.

• 17. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Windows from about 3.1.1, you have WordPad. It's most likely in Start>Programs>Accessories.

As for the file that you are looking for, it's your Project's .PREL file. It will be where you located your Project, when you did Project>New. It will be [Project Name].PREL. It does not have an XML extension, though that it what it really is.

The reason for opening the Project file in WordPad (or similar) is to use the Find (search) function. Also, most other word processors will add formatting and you do NOT want that. I always recommend on working with a Copy of any Project file, so you always have the original safe.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tip: if you are still having trouble locating your correct .PREL file, launch PrE and choose that Project to Open. Hit File>Save_As and look closely at the dialog screen that pops up. That will give you the full name of your Project file, and also the Path where it's located. Just hit Cancel to not do a Save_As. You only did that to find the filename and the Path.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS remember to work on a Copy of your Project file, in case something goes very wrong. Never edit the original, unless you have safety copies around.

• 19. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Success. Here is how.

In Premiere Elements 4, I opened a new project with the New Project dialog set for NTSC DV Standard (4:3), brought video to the Timeline, placed three scene markers, applied the Outdoor Wedding DVD Template Menu in Create Menus, went to Share/Disc/Disc and confirmed that the preset there was set for NTSC Dolby DVD (it was), and saved the project (with name and location so that I could find it easily).

Then in the hard drive save location, I right clicked the project prel, selected Open With, and selected WordPad. If WordPad was not on the list shown, I clicked on Choose Program and picked WordPad. I guess, if you really do not have WordPad, you could try Notepad?

Paul_LS writes:

“To convert a 4:3 NTSC project to widescreen in Work Pad do a search and replace:

<PixelAspectRatio>648,720</PixelAspectRatio>

to

<PixelAspectRatio>864,720</PixelAspectRatio>

I read that to mean that there was ONE place in the WordPad document to do that replacement. Wrong. There are multiple places, and I needed to find them all, change, save, change, save, etc. in the WordPad document until I got them all.

In the course of doing the above, I noticed in the WordPad document several places where the DVD Template Menu .psd for main and scene menus was listed. For the 4:3 projects, the appropriate .psd file names would be:

outdoor_pal_s_mm.psd (for main menu)

outdoor_pal_s_sm.psd (for scene menu)

The “s” represents “Standard”, so I changed the “s” to “w” every place where these file names were listed, so that the replacements read:

outdoor_pal_w. mm.psd (for main menu)

outdoor_pal_w_sm.psd (for scene menu)

After I saved the WordPad document and closed out of that program, I was back to the Premiere Elements 4 project prel file that I right clicked to get to WordPad. Then I right clicked the project prel, selected Open With, and clicked on Premiere Elements 4. When the project opened, I was delighted to find evidence that the changes had been executed successfully

a. Monitor had a widescreen view

b. Menus were the widescreen variety

c. In Share/Disc/Disc, the preset was no longer NTSC Dolby DVD, but rather NTSC Dolby Widescreen DVD.

d. When the DVD-VIDEO got to my TV, the scene menu highlights were visible and active.

Please let me know how you did finding WordPad and got the above to work for you.

ATR

• 20. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                                M$M7 Level 1

AT Romano

Thank you again for trying out solutions for my problems.  I did find WordPad in Accessories per Hunt's suggestion.  When I looked before, I only saw Notepad.  Anyway, I did try all of your suggestions today.  I did the find and replace for the pixel aspect ratio changes and then searched for all the Outdoor words to find the ones that contained the ones you mentioned for the Main menu and Scene menu.  I changed each s to a w in all the ones wordpad found.

After I saved and told it to go back to Adobe PE4, I now got the error message (Premiere Elements has a Debug Event - Src\Render\Render Frame Request.cpp-391)  I pressed continue, it let me into the file.  But when I tried to look at the menus, it gave me the same error again.  Then it gave the message....Sorry a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down.

Just in case, I restarted my computer, then remembered a post that Paul LS had sent regarding my problem.  I needed to delete the rendered files.  So I did that.  I still got the same error messages, no change.

I rechecked all the changes I made in WordPad 3 times to ensure I didn't make any mistakes.  Everything was exactly how you and Paul said to do it.  So I decided to do some experiments.

1st I went back to WordPad and changed the Main menu back to standard in all the areas.  Then checked to see if the error message was still there.  And of course it was.

Then I went and changed all the Scene menu areas back to standard.  Checked again and now the error messages were gone.  Apparent success!!!

The view screen now is in widescreen, and even the menus seem to be in widescreen.  When I went to burn it, it was already set at widescreen.  The only thing that didn't change is the introduction.  The outdoor wedding theme has an intro with it, but that is still in standard.  But I'll take what I've got here!!!  That 10 or 15 seconds doesn't matter that much.

Thank you again, all of you for all of your help in answering my questions.  You successfully helped solve my frustrating problem.  I truely learned alot from this forum.

M$M7

• 21. Re: Scene Selection Button Highlighting Disappears on Burning?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

I am glad that worked out for you.

I too learned a lot in getting that to work for us. My big hang up was realizing that I had to make the appropriate changes in more than one place for both the pixel aspect ratio and scene selection menu .psd's.. After that, it was clear sailing. Continued success with your projects.

ATR