9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?

M$M7

Ever since I've had Premiere Elements 4, I've had freezing problems with it.  I bought a new Dell computer XPS to run this program, so I know it is not the computer.  I'll be running the program fine for a while and forget myself and what it does, then BAM! I get the message it has "stopped working properly" it needs to shut down.  Sometimes I just click something, & if I click it again it will freeze and give me a whitish translucent screen.  I can't move my mouse.  So I need to save my info. alot so I don't lose it all.

Are there any fixes for this problem?  Does anyone else experience it?  How can I make it stop?

Thanks

M&M

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is for P-Pro but many/most of the ideas are the same

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If still not fixed, return with DETAILS asked for in questions at end

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
            Paul_LS Level 4

What are your media source files? Whta project preset are you using? And are you using high resolution photos... these can suck up your computer resources and bring PE7 to it's knees. If you are using a standard definition project preset then resize them to 1000x750.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
              M$M7 Level 1

Paul, My source files are MPGs, and JPGs.  I take the pictures in 10 megapixels because it is a wedding.  I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by project presets.  I don't usually do anything to the Premiere Elements 4 project but insert my clips and pictures and maybe a theme.  Then move things around, and do my editting.

How can I make things better?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your source files are definitely your problem!

What kind of camcorder are those MPEGs from? As mentioned, using the right project preset for the right source files can make all the difference!

As for those photos, 10 megapixel photos can choke this program faster than anything! Rez those photos down to 1000x750 pixels in size (per the FAQs to the right of this forum) and you'll see a world of difference in the program's performance!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

Finally, since you're working with non-DV-AVI files, render often as you work.

Do you see the red line along the top of the timeline as you add your files? That's an indication of a need to render -- and the more red that's there, the more your system will lug. Press Enter regularly and the program will create temporary render files for your movie (the red line will turn green) and your performance will improve greatly.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For resizing your stills to work best (and actually give you better quality), this ARTICLE will get you going with PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                    M$M7 Level 1

Steve, My camcorder is a Sony Handycam DCR-SR80 with a 60 GB hard drive.

If I understand you correctly, by simply pressing enter as I work, the program will (render) or does that mean back up the files?

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I've heard some of you say project presets for the source files.  Can you explain what you mean about that? I see now about changing from standard to widescreen, but what else can I change to make it better for my MPEG files?

Thank you for your help.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I've heard some of you say project presets for the source files.

Project Presets are those settings that you choose, when you choose Project>New. These need to match your Assets, i.e. your MPEG files from your HDD camera. PE even has a Project Preset for HDD camera files. This will set up all necessary aspects of your Project, ready for the Importing of your Assets.

As far as Rendering, that is done by hitting the Enter key, but is really only necessary for smooth playback, and nothing else. Ctrl-s is the Save key-combo to Save the .PREL Project file (no media is Saved with this operation).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                        M$M7 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for that information, I learned something today!!!  Hopefully this will solve my problems with PE4.  And I will have a much smoother and enjoyable time doing my videos.

Thank you to everyone that helped and took the time to answer my questions.  You guys are great!!!  I'm glad I joined the forum.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Freezing or "stopped working properly"?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

I agree that this forum has some great people. I also recommend the "Community" (essentially their fora) at Muvipix. Because the user-base there is not quite so Adobe-centric, there is usually more discussion on other software used to complete projects. Some areas are purely technical, pretty much like here, but there are some areas, that are a bit more, well like a "community."

It also has a wealth of Functional Content, motion footage, Menus, original music, plus articles and tutorials. There are basically three levels of participation: show up, post and read; signup, post, read, and download some of the content that's free, plus purchase the content that is not free; and finally with a subscription all is free. It did not take me too long to do the math, and see that for the price of a subscription and a day of downloading, I had more than paid for the subscription. It is well worth checking out, especially when one is looking for a new Menu for a DVD or just the right piece of motion footage for an opening. Steve Grisetti, the MOD here, also has some great articles and tutorials there.

Happy editing,

Hunt