4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 2:25 PM by 49erbruin

Can I get Photoshop Elements 6 Info into PE7?

49erbruin

I've got my videos tagged and captioned in a Photoshop Elements 6 catalog. Can I get that keyword and caption data into Premiere Elements 7? I can definitely get the video clips into PE, but want the other info too for cataloging purposes. Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Can I get Photoshop Elements 6 Info into PE7?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Until proven otherwise, my answer to your question is No.

I have Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 as well as Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 installed on my Windows XP desktop. If I tag videos in Photoshop Elements 7 and send those video over to Premiere Elements 7, the videos with tags travel great. However, if I tag videos in Photoshop Elements 6 and send those videos over to Premiere Elements 7, the videos travel but without the tags that I placed in Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer.

I believe the issue evolves around a non integrated set as well as the fact that I believe Photoshop Elements 6 probably has a different Organizer format (ODBC database format) than the Organizer in Premiere Elements 7 (SQLite database format). I have not found a way in Premiere Elements 7 (File Menu/Catalog) to workaround this issue. Neither have I found a way to convert the Photoshop Element 6 catalog in Photoshop Elements 6 to make the transfer of tags along with the video. Even if I could, I  would need to think further into the possibility that the converted catalog would no longer be useable in Photoshop Elements 6.

Right now I am pondering two possibilities for you:

a. Upgrade your Photoshop Elements 6 to Photoshop Elements 7 so that you will have an integrated set (Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7)

and/or

b. See if you can add and tag your videos to the Premiere Elements 7 Organizer and leave Photoshop Elements 6 catalog for your photos.

I am going to explore possibility "b" to see how that works out. I do not use the Organizer of either Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements to any great extent, but you question interested me and got me wondering.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I get Photoshop Elements 6 Info into PE7?
            49erbruin Level 1

Thanks...I just downloaded the trial PSE7 and converted my PSE6 catalog to PSE7. I am trying to use the File > Write Keyword Tag...option to write the metadata to my .avis, but the option is greyed out for me. I need to do another post about that.

I've been using Photoshop Album to catalog my photos and videos. I just got Lightroom and, after much drama, got my PS Album catalog into that. Now I've got to get the video catalog into either Bridge or PE7. I wish this was a little easier!

I'll keep you posted if I find a solution.

• 3. Re: Can I get Photoshop Elements 6 Info into PE7?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Photoshop Elements 7 Organizer, File Menu/"Write Keyword Tag and Properties into a Photo" is just that, "photo", not "video".

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopElements/7.0_Win/WSEC16A3B6-C32D-4511-A267-9C2151E282 9F.html

This option is also in Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer. For me, it works also for just photos, not videos. Did you ever get this “File Menu/Write Keyword Tag and Properties into a Photo” to work for video in Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer??

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I get Photoshop Elements 6 Info into PE7?
                49erbruin Level 1

I apologize for the late reply - I've been on vacation! But, I did want to close the loop on this.

No, I did not get "“File Menu/Write Keyword Tag and Properties into a Photo" to work in PE 6 or 7. I haven't found a way to do any of this, so I am biting the bullet and will start tagging and captioning things all over in Bridge.