4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 10:48 PM by emurmur

Flex 3 Builder Plugin Trial Install - no errors but Eclipse doesn't see it

emurmur Level 1
      I downloaded the Flex Builder 3 Plugin trial installer, so I could add the plugin to my pre-existing Eclipse 3.3 (Europa) installation. OS is Vista Home Premium SP1. I ran the installer and choose defaults, and picked my Eclipse folder to extend: C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse. This folder has the configuration folder, etc. The install appeared to work perfectly. However, when I run Eclipse, it has no idea that the Flex plugin was installed. I cannot open (or find) the Flex perspective. There is no error message, it simply doesn't recognize the Flex feature.

Here is the log summary:
      Install Begin: Mon Jul 28 14:55:08 PDT 2008
      Install End: Mon Jul 28 15:00:40 PDT 2008

Installed by InstallAnywhere 8.0.1 Enterprise Build 3080, by Macrovision

User Interactions
      -----------------

#Choose Install Folder
      #---------------------
      USER_INSTALL_DIR=C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in

#Choose Eclipse Folder to be Extended
      #------------------------------------
      USER_SELECTED_FOLDER=C:\\Program Files\\Eclipse\\eclipse

#Additional Installations
      #------------------------
      INSTALL_FLASH9_OCX=1
      INSTALL_NETSCAPE_PLUGIN=1
      INSTALL_COLDFUSION_EXTENSIONS=0
      INSTALL_JSECLIPSE=0

Summary
      -------

Installation: Successful.

3413 Successes
      0 Warnings
      0 NonFatalErrors
      0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

I looked in the installation log and there are no errors or failures, at least none marked as such. There is this sequence below in the log detail:

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse\links\
      Additional Notes: NOTE - Directory already existed

Modify Text File - Single File: New File C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse\links\com.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core.link

Modify Text File - Single File: No Target Chosen

Modify Text File - Single File: No Target Chosen

It wrote a link file, but failed to write to other files because 'no target was chosen". Perhaps this is because I chose not to install the optional Coldfusion or Javascipt plugins.

The link file that it wrote is named "com.adobe.flexbuilder.feature.core" contains this:
      C:/Program Files/Adobe/Flex Builder 3 Plug-in

So, it looks like the link was there. Aret here any links missing? Anything else I am missing? Is this a Vista SP1 issue? I was anxious to begin learning Flex, but now I am stuck at installation. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
        • 1. Re: Flex 3 Builder Plugin Trial Install - no errors but Eclipse doesn't see it
          emurmur Level 1
          OK, this is weird. While I was having the problem running flex, I noticed that my Eclipse launcher icon was a generic icon. Now, I've been looking through files and folders trying to figure this out for about an hour since I installed. I walked away and made coffee. I then came back, navigated to may eclipse folder and the launch now had the Eclipse icon as expected. I ran it directly and sure as shootin, Flex is available. Some bizarre file latency under Vista SP1? Delusional operator? Anyway, the problem is now gone and I can add the Flex perspective and create flex projects. Has anyone else out there seen this issue under Vista SP1?
          • 2. Re: Flex 3 Builder Plugin Trial Install - no errors but Eclipse doesn't see it
            emurmur Level 1
            OK, this gets much weirder. I ran for a couple of days after Flex finally showed up in Eclipse (see post above). I hibernated the computer in the evenings. Just now. I quit Eclipse. I then tried to restart Eclipse using the tray launcher on Vista (the icon at the lower right of the task bar). Eclipse launched but complained that it had no editor for mxml. The Flex perspective was gone. When I looked at the Elipse application file in the Eclipse folder, it does not have the Eclipse icon, it has a generic icon. I can launch using the Eclipse app, but I get no Flex perspective. What the hell?

OK, more news. I right-clicked on the Eclipse app and did "run as administrator". Eclipse asked me for a workspace, showing my previous default, which I accepted. Flex perspective them showed up. It sounds like a permissions issues. I only have one user on this machine and that user in an adminstrator, and I installed as that user and I run as that user.

I installed Eclipse before I 'upgraded' to Vista SP1. I installed the Flex Builder Plugin after SP1. When I look at my folders inside of C:\Program Files, including the Eclipse folder, they are marked as having the Read-Only property. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before SP1. So, I'm still thinking it is some weirdness that SP1 is doing.
            • 3. Re: Flex 3 Builder Plugin Trial Install - no errors but Eclipse doesn't see it
              emurmur Level 1
              Problem Resolved. It is Vista weirdness. There is a 'feature' called User Account Control (UAC) that is designed to thwart malware by running programs in a low privilege mode. This means that some files that would be read/write to the owner or administrator are, in fact, read-only to a running program. So there are two solutions. First, as I discovered myself, you can right click on the Eclipse applicatoin and do "Run As Administrator" and Eclipse will correctly load the Flex perspective. The second option is to go to the User Account control panel and turn off UAC. If you do that, Eclipse runs correctly without the need to run as administrator (since it is running under the login account and presuming you are administrator). This issue with this is that Windows Defender and other virus protection programs will constantly complain about UAC being turned off.

I plan to leave UAC off for at least a little while. I've also be getting rediculous unzip times out of Windows, so I think it might also be this issue. If not, maybe I'll turn UAC back on for a little more saftety.
              • 4. Re: Flex 3 Builder Plugin Trial Install - no errors but Eclipse doesn't see it
                emurmur Level 1
                Does answering your own post 4 times count as forum-bation?