8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 6:05 AM by Jim_Simon

Trouble Encoding Still Video Images

Steinbanch

Hi All,

Newbie Premier user struggling to finish  first video. Here's my problem, and hopefully someone out there has encountered it before:

I have finally finished creating  a very basic, short (~ 2 min.) video (4:3 interlaced; SD DV-NTSC, ) clip containing several interspersed  title frames and a single JPEG image serving as my establishing shot.  For some reason, the high resolution JPEG image appears jagged and blurry once imported into Premier Pro CS4. After several hours of meddling around I have discovered an interesting phenomenon whereby increasing the magnification percentage from 'Fit' to '100%' in either the Source OR Program monitors restores the image quality. However, when this is done the video quality appears severly interlaced. Can someone shed some light on this issue because I am about to pull my hair out. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
          Jim_Simon Level 8

"Fit" will show the whole image, regardless of monitor size.  "100%" will show the image at the correct magnification, but if the monitor is too small, you may not see it all.

Your project is interlaced, so that's that.

Don't judge final quality using the built-in monitors.  They're to be used as an editing guide only, not for QC.  Export out to your chosen delivery medium and watch that way for QC.

• 2. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
            Steinbanch Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

I have rendered out to a .mov file using the DV-NTSC authoring codec and the quality of the video still image is very jagged and blurry. My export settings are as follows:

Container: Quicktime .mov

Codec:      DV-NTSC

Qualty:      100%

Scan:        Progressive ( Video looks great...image degrades) ; Interlaced (Odd/Upper) field (Image looks great...interlace artifacts predominate)

||                                                                                     ||

V                                                                                    V

ASR:                                            0.9091                                                                             1.0 (sq.)

Since my first post I have imported the video into Sorenson Squeeze 5 and compressed using the On2 VP6 Pro codec with Flash 8+ HQ presets. The file size has been reduced ten fold and the video quality has held up well. I have also noticed and improvement in the clarity of the title slides, but the image issue persists. Any thoughts on what is going on here.

Thanks,

DANNY

• 3. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right click on the still, go to Field Options and set it to Always Deinterlace and Revese Field Dominance.

• 4. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Any thoughts on what is going on here.

Some.

What is your intended final delivery - DVD, web, computer playback, etc.?

• 5. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For some reason, the high resolution JPEG image appears jagged and blurry once imported into Premier Pro CS4

This ARTICLE might help you to resize your high-rez still for better quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
                    Steinbanch Level 1

Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for replying to my question. I've taken your advise and have noticed a very, very subtle increase in video quality, but for the most part this portion of the video remains unusable. I do not doubt the integrity of the image because it looks flawless in PS & when I perform an Upper Field Interlaced video export of the still sequence alone. All Progressive exports mirror what I am seing on my timeline, namely: Poo-Poo! I guess it is time to take a professional course and start reading some PPro books...lol.

Best,

Danny

• 8. Re: Trouble Encoding Still Video Images
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Computer monitors are progressive by nature.  Your video footage is interlaced by nature.  So we have to deinteralce that stuff.  Unfortunately, Premiere just isn't very good at the job.

For my own web site, I export of a DV file in Premiere, and then use V2F to make the Flash videos for upload.  Using the Sorenson codec option, it does a pretty decent job.