8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 2:50 PM by Curt Wrigley

Soft focus continued with after photo

chuck122441

Here is the frame grab after Adobe Media Encoder has done its job.

• 1. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
          akribie Level 2

You'll need to explain a lot more if you want any useful assistance.

For example:

Is the original footage sharply in focus?

Is it relatively still or is there a lot of movement between frames?

What source material format are you starting with?

What output encoding settings are you using in AME?

• 2. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
            chuck122441 Level 1

Indeed, the double post was not redundant, but that was the only way I could post the frame grabs, before and after AME.

Anyway. The original footage is in focus.? There is some movement in the shots, but that doesn't seem to matter.? I did a piece this week that was a "host" standing still.? But when that was put through AME, she came out very soft.

My source video is from a Panasonic HD camera that produces .mts files.

? Settings on AME:?

Microsoft AVI

NTSC DV

Video codec:? DV NTSC

I have also tried H264 but it gave no better results.? My next attempt will be with Microsoft AVI uncompressed.? So far that's about all I can do is experiment with different encoding and find something that gives satisfactory results.? Of course it has to be a file that someone else can work with on their system.? That is in some case.? Meantime, I don't know if anyone mentions it or not, but there are many of us who are video producers and not as familiar with the details of?the editing programs as maybe we should be.? We, or at least I, do fine until there is an issue we've never encountered.? I am thankful that people like you look at the forum and take time to come to our rescue or at least send us down the right path.? I appreciate that very much and I thank you.

• 3. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
              Jim_Simon Level 8

My source video is from a Panasonic HD camera that produces .mts files.

? Settings on AME:?

Microsoft AVI

NTSC DV

Video codec:? DV NTSC

You're going from high definition to standard definition.  Of course it'll look softer.

• 4. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
                akribie Level 2

Because I started from this second post, I had no idea what you were trying to do. If you have good reason for double posts, please say so in the posts so the link between them is obvious.

The reason I asked about movement is because it affects the quality of temporally-compressed encoding into formats like MPEG for DVD.

The reason I asked about input and output formats is that re-encoding to an alternative format can have a dramatic effect.

In your case, you seem to be starting from HD footage and encoding into SD format, with an inevitable loss of quality due to the reduction in the number of pixels per frame.

You could try using a sequence preset that matches your frame source size and then export into H264 at the same frame size using AME.

Please use the forums for discussions, not email to responders. The whole point of the forum is that others can learn from the discussions as well as the original poster.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
                  chuck122441 Level 1

I will see what I get bringing the orginial camera files into an AVCHD preset, most likely 1080p30.  I will then have to take the results into AME where the end product will have to fit 720X486 and in SD and with decent quality.  This will be the challenge.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

chuck122441 wrote:

I will see what I get bringing the orginial camera files into an AVCHD preset, most likely 1080p30.

Dont work with probablies.  This is an exact science.   You need to know how you cam is recording and choose a preset to match it.

Of the softness issue;  Pr unfortunately is notorious at scalling foootage down Poorly.  Its a huge hole we are all waiting for adobe to address.

In CS4 they added an option on the sequence settings and in AME export called "Maximum render quality".  If you check this, the downscaling will be a bit sharper, but the render times with this option checked are significantly longer.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
                      chuck122441 Level 1

Curt,

Thank you for that reminder.  I checked my records and found I was then using PH 1080/60i, because someone suggested to me that would get me the best results.  Recently, I started using PH 1080/30p.  Someone thought that would get me a better finished product.  I'm so sure it even helped.  Any opinions and advise on that?  I have check both maximize render boxes.  Rendering time at this point is not my main concern.  Indeed, I hope Adobe is working on this.  I have a Matrox card and with CS3 it did most of Adobe's heavy lifting when it came to rendering and I was accomplishing that step in less than real tim.  Matrox claims it is also working on updates that will allow it to provide this function within CS4.  At this point it is taking 20 min. to render 7 1/2 min. of video with no transitions, graphics,etc.

Thanks again, to you and others who take time to help out.  It appears that using the presets that match the camera instead of going right to .avi and then turning Media Encoder lose on the file, rendering an uncompressed MS .avi has improved things.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

• 8. Re: Soft focus continued with after photo
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Pr scales Progressive footage much better than interlaced footage.  So, you will find 30p scales better.

There are solutions outside Pr for better quality scaling.   Do a search for HD2SD for worfkow on a 3rd party solution.