13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 10:27 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

CR changing colors

barrento

Hello, rookie here, please help:

I Have PS4, CR 5.4 and Canon 40D. When I open images in Bridge or CR, images change in color. They didn't look like they were on camera or as they look in canon software. Why this is happenning?
      It looks like photoshop put all images to look the same, instead of keeping their differences: for exemple, two images, one with null colors other with vivid ones, appears the same when open by PS...

• 1. Re: CR changing colors
          barrento Level 1

...also:

why does CR assume some values for each photo opened (blacks: 5; brightness: +50; contrast: +25) for all images opened?

• 2. Re: CR changing colors
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

This has been discussed here at nauseam.  Please browse older threads.

Bridge will initially show you the in-camera generated built-in preview.  Then ACR builds a true preview based on the actual raw data.

ACR's rendition is not designed to emulate what you saw in the camera LCD.

Check your Camera Raw preferences and make sure you have not checked the box to automatically apply Camera Raw adjustments.

You need to learn how to use Adobe Camera Raw.  Here's some essential reading for you:

CLICK HERE

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CR changing colors

barrento wrote:

...also:

why does CR assume some values for each photo opened (blacks: 5; brightness: +50; contrast: +25) for all images opened?

Those are the defaults for your camera—and for quite a few other cameras too.

Again, this has been discussed many times before.

[Edited one glaring but inconsequential typo]

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

• 4. Re: CR changing colors
                Singh, Shangara Level 1
                Bridge will initially show you the in-camera generated built-in preview.  Then ACR builds a true preview based on the actual raw data.

Strictly speaking, not true. The "in-camera" generated preview is also based on "actual raw data." And who is to say which is more "true?"

Bridge initially shows the preview embeded in the raw file and then subsitutes it with one generated using Camera Raw but strores it in its cache, not in the file.

• 5. Re: CR changing colors

Jumping Walrus wrote:

Bridge will initially show you the in-camera generated built-in
                  preview.  Then ACR builds a true preview based on the actual raw
                  data.

Strictly speaking, not true.

"Strictly speaking" it is definitely true.  I don't accept your statement as offered.

We are talking about Bridge.  The in-camera generated built-in preview initially and briefly shown by Bridge was built according to the camera's built-in software's criteria (firmware) and it has nothing to do with the rendering of such image by ACR, which is what follows.

Jumping Walrus wrote:

The "in-camera" generated preview is also based on "actual raw data."

But NOT by ACR.  Irrelevant to the discussion, to the OP and to Bridge.

Jumping Walrus wrote:

And who is to say which is more "true?"

Nobody claimed anything about "true to the original scene".  Just a true Bridge preview as opposed to an embedded JPEG thumbnail from the camera, the histogram of which has little to do with the original.

Jumping Walrus wrote:

Bridge initially shows the preview embeded in the raw file and then subsitutes it with one generated using Camera Raw but strores it in its cache, not in the file.

Nobody claimed it's stored "in the file".  You're just creating confusion.  I typed "Then ACR builds a true preview based on the actual raw data."

What bug stung you today? 

• 6. Re: CR changing colors

Your post is slanderous, abusive, offensive and contributes nothing.

• 7. Re: CR changing colors

Clicking on your profile reveals absolutely no other contributions from you other than the two unfortunate interventions in this one thread and no other posting history whatsoever.

AAAA_morsa1.jpg

AAAA_morsa2.jpg

• 8. Re: CR changing colors
                        Singh, Shangara Level 1

Report it to the moderators and let them decide.

• 9. Re: CR changing colors

Thank you, but I did not ask you for advice, nor do I need any from the likes of you.

• 10. Re: CR changing colors
                            barrento Level 1

Ok, thank you for the answers, not thank you to your private discussion

I did a lot of research about that here in forum, but I dont think I it was clear enough (maybe because of my bad english), or maybe you are right and i need to learn much more about raw...that´s what I will do.

• 11. Re: CR changing colors

This Jumping Walrus (what an appropriate moniker!) is now engaging in a senseless, unproductive vendetta without a single redeeming value and without contributing a thing to the discussion, the topic or the forum.

His charges of "misinformation" are frivolous, without merit and false on their face.  I'm happy to let his posts speak for themselves, as well as mine.

He is the one who suggested I report his abuse.  Now he doesn't like "my tone". 

* Plonk!  <—— sound of Jumping Walrus being plonked.

• 12. Re: CR changing colors

You are more than welcome, Barrento.  

My point was to stress to you that Adobe Camera Raw has matured into a very complex, powerful and professional application of its own, and that it takes more than just fiddling with a few sliders.  The book I recommended [CLICK HERE] and which I hereby recommend again is excellent.

Sorry about the interruption by someone who failed to contribute anything of value to this discussion.

It's posters like you, Barrento, who have been thanking me publicly and privately for the last six years and over something like forty-thousand public posts on these Adobe forums, that make it worthwhile for me to give back some of what I have gained here over the years myself.

I can't help the few that come into the forums just itching for a fight—and inevitably find it.

• 13. Re: CR changing colors

Incidentally, Barrento, if my post had been "full of errors", you could have counted on Thomas Knoll and Jeff Schewe to set me straight right away in no uncertain terms.  Perhaps they still will, but maybe my post was not that bad after all.    My points were:

ACR's rendition is not designed to emulate what you saw in the camera LCD.

Bridge will initially show you the in-camera generated built-in
                                  preview based on the camera manufacturers criteria, which are different from ACR's. 

Then ACR builds its own preview based on the actual raw data.  That's what I refer to as a true Bridge preview, as opposed to the initially shown built-in in-camera-generated preview.

Because of all that, there will be a change in colors, as you state in the title of your original post.

TK, JS, Eric Chan, Panoholic, Jim Hess, Bill Janes and others whose opinions and contributions matter will add whatever they wish if they see fit.

[EDITAdded Panoholic in last sentence.  Sorry, Gabor, your new user ID escaped me at the time I typed that post yesterday. ]

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda