27 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 10:09 AM by Jim_Simon

PPro CS4

rj1600

when i try to import a video (.mpg) file i got from my sony digital camera...

when i hit play, the video has this bluish purple haze over it and i can't see anything...the sound is perfectly fine, but there's something wrong with the video...does anyone know what causes this? do i need to adjust the setting or something?

i've included an image so you can see what it looks like...

• 1. Re: PPro CS4
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

What are the attributes of your source video?  (frame size, frame rate, codec used to compress...)

What seqience preset did you load it into?

• 2. Re: PPro CS4
            rj1600 Level 1

thanks for the quick response curt...

i'm not sure what the attributes of the source video are...i used 2 of my digital sony cameras to video record...is there a way i can find out what the attributes are if i know the model of my camera?

also, i'm not sure what sequence preset i loaded it into, today is my first day using this ppro cs4

• 3. Re: PPro CS4
              rj1600 Level 1

here's the info i think you were asking for:

Type: MPEG Movie
              File Size: 11.2 MB
              Image Size: 640 x 480
              Pixel Depth: 32
              Frame Rate: 30.00
              Source Audio Format: 32000 Hz - compressed - Mono
              Project Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
              Total Duration: 00:00:09:00
              Average Data Rate: 1.2 MB / second
              Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 4. Re: PPro CS4
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

PPRO is not designed to edit consumer video such that is recorded on still cameras.  It i likely a highly compressed form of video.   See if you cam came with any sw that can convert the video to an ediatable format like dv avi.  Or try a 3rd party utility.

Really; for this type of editing; PPRO is probably not the right tool for you.

• 5. Re: PPro CS4
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I agree with Curt.  Premiere Pro works best with professional camera formats.  There are plenty of consumer editors out there that will be better suited to this type of consumer media.  VideoHelp.com is a good place to start looking.

• 6. Re: PPro CS4
                    rj1600 Level 1

yeah i understand that, but this is just for the stuff we film when we're looking to get something quick and easy done....

one of us works for collegehumor tv and we are able to borrow all the fancy equipment to film properly and they edit it as such, but in our 'passing time' time, i'd liket o figure out how we can get stuff done on cs4 with these crappy digital cameras...sony dsc-w80 and dsc w-120....regardless i need to learn howt o use ppro, so it'd be nice if you guys can help

• 7. Re: PPro CS4
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      we're looking to get something quick and easy done....

Either stick with pro media, or use consumer software.  Those are the quickest/easiest solutions.

• 8. Re: PPro CS4
                        rj1600 Level 1

can't you guys just explain to me how i can get this to work? i'd like to learn how to use ppro cs4....

• 9. Re: PPro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

When faced with material that is not DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (for SD material), I use DigitalMedia Converter to get my footage into that format with the MS DV CODEC. This is then Imported into PrPro for editing. There are several freeware converters, like Prism, but I do not have any experience with them, as DMC does what I need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PPro CS4
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Really; for this type of editing; PPRO is probably not the right tool for you.

Curt,

I do agree that PrPro is not set up to natively edit some of the "stuff," that gets thrown at it. I even picked up a copy of PrElements for some of that material. However, it's not much more lenient, than is PrPro.

try a 3rd party utility

To me, this is the key. I get handed all sorts of formats and CODEC's, probably more than most of the PrPro users here. Gosh, I love it, when I actually get to shoot something! Still, various footage does come in and I have to do the best, that I can with it. Hence, my rec. for one conversion program. Admittedly, it's not freeware, but has proved to be "cheap" for me. It's also been so very good, that I have not explored many other alternatives, so am rather a "one-trick pony." Still, with the proper and necessary CODEC's installed, a good conversion program can get one to editing (with the quality loss from the initial compression, that we cannot get around - except to get the client to go find the original footage BEFORE that compression), and that is what does get the Project out the door.

I see more inappropriate source footage in the PrElements forum, but it's obviously not limited to just PrE.

Hunt

PS though I have PrE, I personally find editing with it is far more difficult, than PrPro...

• 11. Re: PPro CS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the link to the PrPro Wiki on Conversion. There are several recommendations for other conversion programs in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PPro CS4
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

can't you guys just explain to me how i can get this to work?

That is what a formal education is video production is for.  Till then, the simple solution is to use pro cameras with pro software, or use consumer software with consumer media.

• 13. Re: PPro CS4
                                  Promter

let me give you your solution.....

what is the model of the camera?

• 14. Re: PPro CS4
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    can't you guys just explain to me how i can get this to work? i'd like to learn how to use ppro cs4....

Just curious. Did none of the links that I offered help you out in some way?

I am with the poster above. Please tell us specifically what format/CODEC your camera records/Exports in. If you can furnish details from its manual (mfgr. Web sites are notorious for NOT listing the details), someone can probably tell you exactly which converter and which settings will yield editable results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PPro CS4
                                      rj1600 Level 1

sony dsc-w80 and dsc-w120

• 16. Re: PPro CS4
                                        rj1600 Level 1

do you know where i can find a camera that shoots in that format?

DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (for SD material)

a list of a few cheaper than $1,500 would be ideal...i know that's prob. tough, but the cheaper the better...

• 17. Re: PPro CS4
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it appears that you're using two Sony cameras. What does the manual say about the output files? If it does not give you enough detail, then use G-Spot to look for these details. They'll very likely be highly important.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PPro CS4
                                            rj1600 Level 1

i used Gspot, here are the details:

Video:

Codec: MPEG1

Len:1:01.199

Frames: 1,836

kbps: 8278

Qf: 0.898

Pics/s: 30

Frames/s: 30

pic w x: 640 x 480

sar: 1.333 (4:3)

par: 1.000 (1:1)

dar: 1.333 (4:3)

Audio:

MPEG-1 Layer 2

0xc0:32000Hz  64 kb/s , Monophonic

• 19. Re: PPro CS4
                                              Promter Level 1

B&H in New York is where I buy most of my stuff.

but if you want a nice camera for a decent price staying at a consumer  level

I would say  an HV20 or HV30, but I personally haven't looked real deep into the HV30.

my buddy has an HV20 that records HD on tape and he can capture via firewire.

works great.

• 20. Re: PPro CS4
                                                rj1600 Level 1

cool..i'll check out the hv20....

so with the hv20, i'll be able to edit all footage in premiere pro cs4?

also, what else do i need to put the footage onto my computer, just a firewire cable? i would i know which one i need?

• 21. Re: PPro CS4
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm partial to Panasonic myself.  Their GS-350 and GS-500 get pretty good reviews.  You're not likely to find another 3 CCD model in their price range.

• 22. Re: PPro CS4
                                                    Promter Level 1

I love panasonic my self, I have the HVX200A, but what is a GS-350? never heard of that one

• 23. Re: PPro CS4
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                      what else do i need to put the footage onto my computer, just a firewire cable? i would i know which one i need?

All you should need will be the FW cable. The exact cable will depend on your camera choice (usually a 4-pin mini) and your computer's FW connection (usually a 6-pin powered connector), so check out these two sockets (camera and computer).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PPro CS4
                                                        Promter Level 1

as for right now if you want to use the footage you have, what I usually do with MPEG Footage is download "mpeg streamclip" from squared5.com then create a new folder  to place all your new encoded files.(that you will encode, if you do)

Then get your six pack or bottle of wine or what ever it is that keeps you patient and maybe a nice little pillow for your chair and start opening each clip in "mpeg streamclip" and export each clip to  something that Premiere likes to edit.

like NTSC/DV

Just to give you an example when I use to have Final Cut Pro on my mac and only had a sony handycam, I use to export all my clips to Quicktime/NTSC/DV and then I was able to edit everything smoothly in Final Cut Pro

I think Premiere Pro likes .avi files better.

good luck.

• 25. Re: PPro CS4
                                                          rj1600 Level 1

do you know if the flip cam exports into a format ideal for ppro cs4?

http://www.theflip.com/

• 26. Re: PPro CS4
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to see this ARTICLE from the PrE FAQ. As both PrE and PrPro use the same basic workflow, the recs. should hold true for either program.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS there are also several threads on Flip cameras in the CS4 forum. I'd do a search for some more reading.

• 27. Re: PPro CS4
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

what is a GS-350?

No longer available, I guess.  Stick with the 500 for inexpensive, quality video.

"Practically broadcast video quality"