7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 5:03 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge

jsuttonphotography

what can I try?

I cannot see the thumbnails in Bridge but can go into CS4 and open them up no problem

I shoot Canon 5d Mark II

I downloaded Camera Raw 5.3

works fine for my regular 5D but no on the new Mark II

any suggestions?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

You need Camera Raw 5.4.

The obsolete version you have does not support your new camera.

• 2. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge
            jsuttonphotography Level 1

ok, done, I have installed the latest camera raw plug in 5.4

and I still cannot see the CR2 thumbnails in Bridge

my small jpegs are showing just fine.

please somebody help me solve this

• 3. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge

…and did you remember to Purge the Cache for the folder(s) through the Tools menu in Bridge as per the instructions?

Finally, are you sure you are shooting true raw files and not the sRAW format?  The sRAW format, a proprietary Canon image file format, is not supported as those are not true raw files.  Check yor camera settings.

• 4. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge

Also, where exactly have you installed the Camera Raw plug-in?

Check in the About Plug-in… menu item.   There should be only one instance of ACR there, and it should say ACR 5.4.

• 5. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge
                  jsuttonphotography Level 1

Hi - Joan's husband here (I built the computer hardware for her, but don't

really know Photoshop that well). I did a search for "camera raw" files and

found a second instance located in the adobe/common files folder (not in

program file subfolders as the proper plugin is located per instructions).

It was the 5.0 version, and I could not do anything with it, eg delete it as

it "was in use by a program", even though I had no prgrams open. I was able

to rename it to "old camera raw 5-0", and I copied the new camera raw 5.4

version into that folder. I rebooted and now had 3 camera raw plugins

appearing in CS4/hlep/about/plugins drop down list.

I then went back into the common file folder and was able to delete the old

camera raw file. I now have two camera raw files appearing in the

help/aboutplugins dropdwon, but they are both the same 5.4 version. Now I am

able to see a selection to generate a high quality thumbnail for the cs2

files in Bridge when I right-clicked on those, and this generated the

thumbnails for all of those file types. All is well now (I hope !!), thanks

for your input and advice.

I did purge the cache, but that didn't change anything as far as I could

tell. Also, the 5.4 update doesn't show the Canon 5D Mark II on the list of

updated cameras for this revision, so I don't think it is a necessary update

for this specific camera, but probably good to stay current.

If this was an "end-run" around a proper fix then I would like to know the

proper way to resolve this.

Best Regards,

Jeff Sutton

Joan Sutton Photography

6 Longmeadow Lane

Medway, MA  02053

508-533-1371

www.joansutton.com

• 6. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge

Jeff,

You can have only ONE (1) instance of the Camera Raw plug-in installed.  Period.

Renaming the Camera Raw plug-in does NOT hide it from Photoshop and Bridge as long as it's remotely anywhere in the Photoshop path.  It MUST be removed.  Renaming it is akin to putting a used tissue in your pocket after blowing your nose instead of discarding it entirely; you'll retain all the germs. 

Your wife must have set Bridge in Preferences to launch automatically and silently in the background whenever she boots up her machine.  Bring Bridge to the front, then EXIT the Bridge application—and Photoshop too if it's running.  You should be able to remove any plug-in you want now.

Your mention of building the computer yourself is the first hint of its being a Windows box.  If it were a Mac, I'd show you screenshots. 

• 7. Re: Help! can't see CR2 thumbnails In Bridge

Incidentally, it's a monumentally bad idea to post all that personal information in public. 

You're exposed to the spambots and to every nut in the Internet now.