6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 11:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Perl for automated Paypal passwords???

I've got a hosting account that supports Perl script, and I want to use my Paypal account to acquire subscribers that use automatically generated usernames and passwords issued to them by Paypal when they get an account.

My questions is, well, in separate parts...

1. What is this script called and where do I find it?

2. Once I have it how do I install it? Do I simply upload it to my server like any other file, like my password-protection PHP file?

3. Once I have this Perl script how does it interact with the Paypal passwords? Is there a way I have to code my Paypal account to my server so them automatically communicate with each other and Paypal notifies it when a new subscriber has an account? Or do the new subscribers email me their newly generated username and password and now I have to enter it into the permissions for the secure section of the server account...?

Hopefully someone here knows more about this.

• 1. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          This is just my opinion...

I would never, knowingly, visit any web site that is going to try and capture my PayPal login information in any way

I would also never do business with any web site that is going to ask me to email my PayPal login information

The entire point of PayPal is that I visit a site to buy something, and I send MONEY via PayPal, but I would never send my PayPal login information
          • 2. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
            THAT'S NOT WHAT I WAS ASKING AT ALL.

It's a password for my blog that is generated by Paypal once their payment goes through for a subscription purchase ... once there they subscribe to MY WEBSITE through Paypal.

Paypal then generates a seperate username and password for them to log in to MY WEBSITE.

Hell, there's even an option on the Paypal subscription page for them to subscribe without using their Paypal account by using any credit or debit card - so they don't even have to own a paypal account themselves.

Sheese, doesn't anyone here know what I'm talking about???

Q: What is the Perl script and server modifications that Paypal requires to use the automated password subscriptions option?
            • 3. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
              Level 7

> Sheese, doesn't anyone here know what I'm talking about???

Your question wasn't clear about them buying a subscription to Your site
              using paypal. It looks at a quick read like you want to integrate with
              paypal to use Their paypal username/password.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=paypal+subscription+proce
              ssing+php

The "success" return page you supply in the paypal link for them to buy the
              subscription will be a php script that will read the generated
              username/password into your database.

>
              > Q: What is the Perl script and server modifications that Paypal requires to
              > use the automated password subscriptions option?

--
              Alan
              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
                OH, thanks... so it's the Paypal subcription button's "success-page" that I code the perl script in to, is it? This is a place on my server where I have teh script uploaded, like a new page?

OK, I went to that google link and it wasn't obvious where there was a place where I can get such a script? Dopes anyone here know a good place where I can find one? I there a good website where a successful-payment username/password processing Perl script is provided?
                • 5. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
                  Level 7

> OH, thanks... so it's the Paypal subcription button's "success-page" that I
                  > code the perl script in to, is it? This is a place on my server where I have
                  > teh script uploaded, like a new page?

You mentioned php in the first post.
                  can you use php on your hosting?

>
                  > OK, I went to that google link and it wasn't obvious where there was a place
                  > where I can get such a script? Dopes anyone here know a good place where I can
                  > find one? I there a good website where a successful-payment username/password
                  > processing Perl script is provided?
                  >

That google search is almost all exactly in the area you need to read up on.

so is this:
                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=paypall+subscription+pass
                  word+php+script

do some of the work yourself.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: Perl for automated Paypal passwords???
                    Level 7
                    > Sheese, doesn't anyone here know what I'm talking about???

Not in the way you explain things.

> Q: What is the Perl script and server modifications that Paypal requires
                    > to
                    > use the automated password subscriptions option?

Why don't you ask PayPal?

-Darrel