22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 4:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."

Hira Meijin

I recently started editing a video and have been frequently encountering this error message. From my start of work, 24 hours ago, till now, the problem has grown and grown - to the point of not being able to even edit anything without it giving me the error. It started with my timeline going black every so often when I would drag a clip from the source monitor, but now I encouter the error within 1-3 minutes of loading my project.

I've also encoutered a few other errors, but only 2 or 3 times, one of which I can remember was a short message of "Unknown Error", which occured when I was rendering a text title.

I have tried moving all of my files to a different folder and relinking them to my project, as suggested by a few people online, I have recently defragged my system and cleared my registry as well. I'm unaware of how to check if I'm dealing with a corrupt file on my hands and I've yet to check my drivers, RAM and hardware - partially because it's late, and partially because I'm not sure how to.

Any other suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 2. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
            Hira Meijin Level 1

I've run SHERLOCK and have come up with the following listed as broken:

Broken Codecs
            -------------
              "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder"
                 FileName       = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2daac.ax"
              "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder"
                 FileName       = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2dsh264.ax"
              "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"
                 FileName       = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2evh264.ax"
              "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"
                 FileName       = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mceampeg.ax"
              "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"
                 FileName       = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcevmpeg.ax"

• 3. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Those are "false positives".  Adobe has apparently omitted some

information in the Windows Registry that applications like Sherlock,

GSpot and GraphEdit expect to find.  All of those codecs work perfectly

in Premiere, but not anywhere else.  I think that was Adobe's intention

all along.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Both Sherlock and G-Spot will give you "false positives," regarding the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. Because of their naming conventions, neither program sees them correctly.

Good luck

Hunt

• 5. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some "clues," as to what is happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                    Hira Meijin Level 1

I just restarted and installed a handful of updates that were sitting in queue for some reason. I started working and everything was going smoothly. However when I tried to render clips with effects, I would expirience a huge slow down with the renderings. I expirienced this with the 'Ghosting' effect and finally PPro crashed when it came to render a 'Dip to White' effect.

• 7. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now would probably be a good time to tell us all about your system, your exact Assets (the Video and any still images), and also your Project/Sequence Preset.

Also, details of the exact Effects that have been applied, plus any Transitions, like the Dip-to-White, would be helpful. The Effects can have a major impact on the time that Rendering, and/or Exporting will take. They can also play a role in stressing one's system, hence the requrest for info in the first line.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                        Hira Meijin Level 1

Here are further details about my situation, PrPro setup and hardware:

Currently I'm working on the desktop as described in the following link:

http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-compaq-presario-sr5450f-desktop-intel-pentium-dual-core-e2180-2 ghz/q/loc/101/207535189.html

With my current graphics card being NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (512 MB)

Majority of the files I am working with are as follow

Type: AVI Movie

Image Size: 640 x 480
                        Pixel Depth: 640
                        Frame Rate: 29.97
                        Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
                        Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Average Data Rate: 396 KB / second
                        Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

I'm working with .psd files as well .aep files (1 .aep and 9 .psd), the largest .psd files are as follow:

File Size: 11.0 MB
                        Image Size: 1920 x 1080
                        Pixel Depth: 1920
                        Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

I'm using audio files with the following properties:

Type: MP3 Audio

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                        Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                        Total Duration: 00:00:15:28548
                        Average Data Rate: 15 KB / second

Type: MP3 Audio

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Average Data Rate: 28 KB / second

Type: Macintosh Audio AIFF

Source Audio Format: 96000 Hz - 24 bit - Stereo

Average Data Rate: 562 KB / second

As for my project settings:

Editing Mode: DV NTSC

Timebase: 29.97 fps

720x480 frame size

D1/DV NTSC (9.0)

30 fps drop frame timecode

Sample rate: 48000Hz

For workflow I'm working in one sequence and have 2 stereo audio tracks open with 1 mono track. As for video, I currently have 3 tracks open and being used. The entire workspace is 00;04;29;22. The only key framing I am using are for opacity and volume. Effects used are cross dissolve, dip to white, and constant power. I am using a title with a white solid covering the display as well as a text title using DaunPenh font.

Currently when my problem occurs, or my last few problems occured, was when I was rendering video with effects in VT1. I was rendering a ghosting effect with much delay, which since then was removed, but PrPro crashed without the 'Sorry error" message when it got to rendering a Dip to White. Before hand, I was expiriencing a problems with the "Sorry error" message whenever I would finish rendering a video and attempt to play back. The play/stop button would toggle, but nothing would play normally. I also was encountering problems a few hours ago with some titles, which since were deleted. I was keying opacity and position on two overlapping text titles and the program would act abnormal and crash. I believe the font used was something with 'Gothic Black' in the name. Recently the past few times that I'd tried to create a new title PrPro would give me a warning saying that my system is running low on memory, advising me to save and proceed with caution.

Prior to all of this was expiriencing a more frequent problem earlier yesterday where whenever I would try to drag something from the source monitor to the time line my entire seqeuence timeline would go black - I would wait only to be greeted by the Sorry error message, however this has become less frequent and I haven't expirienced it in the last few hours.

I hope this helps you guys help me.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

First two things that I see is that you are using Motion>Scale on your undersized footage to get it up to the DV Frame Size. That takes some resources. Next, your PSD's are 4x larger than your Project. Unless you're doing a lot of Panning on Zoomed out images, these can sap resources.

As for the Transitions, none listed should cause a problem.

Going back to your source footage, you only mention .AVI. What is the CODEC used in these. This ARTICLE will give you some background on AVI's, and this ARTICLE will give you some tips, should you wish to resize your .PSD's in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                            Hira Meijin Level 1

For my AVI files the following codec are being used and they are both installed.

Audio: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3

Video: DX50 (DivX 5.x/6.x)

• 11. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                              Hira Meijin Level 1

I reduced the size of my images to 40% of their original size and switched my project to 640x480 resoloution. However, when I went to render the newly imported sequence from my previous project it got about an 1/8 the way done with the rendering, stopped, and displayed an error of 'Error compliling video. Unknown error'. I accepted the error and it displayed the Sorry error again and PrPro closed.

• 12. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops! You want to stay as far from DivX/Xvid as you can. They are highly-compressed "delivery-only" formats and are not meant to be edited. They do a good job of compressing the delivery files, but can give all sorts of problems, if one tries to edit them. Probably the best that one can expect is that they may have no Video, or no Audio. It is also very, very common to experience major OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. Do not bring these into play, until you are ready to get the files ready for final delivery. Even then, I Export to a DV-AVI Type II and use the DivX Pro Converter for the final delivery scheme.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                  Hira Meijin Level 1

Hmm. Alright. I've known about the instability of the file type but have worked with it in PrPro and rendered/created many movies within the past year or two. I've never had it act up this bad, or at all for that matter.

• 14. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What happens in a DV Project, if one is not using DV-AVI Type II files, is that PrPro must do the conversion internally. This saps resources, and if they are not plentiful, will point up any weakness in one's system. That is why I always do my conversions outside of PrPro, so it is not having to do all of the extra processing, even if it can. Even with my workstation, I'd rather do all this extra processing, before I get to the actual editing. This is especially true if I have to deal with DivX/Xvid material, because of the inherent problems with that footage. If you have been able to successfullly edit it, you are well ahead of the vast majority. Like I mentioned, loss of Video, or loss of Audio are very common. OOS is the next most common problem. I cut my "losses" with conversion, before editing. Just having to resync one Clip takes more time, than doing a batch conversion, prior to Import. I'm lazy that way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                      Hira Meijin Level 1

I see. I'll see if I can go about converting my files some other way and re-edit. Thanks for help, I appreciate it.

• 16. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This link to File Conversion in the PrPro Wiki will help you find a method/workflow. I use a program, DigitalMedia Converter, but it's not freeware.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                          Hira Meijin Level 1

I'm back with more questions and persisting problem. I've realized that it wasn't the divx codec video that I was using in the past, what I would do is capture in divix, then convert those files into, what Gspot tells me is: dvsd (DVC/DV Video). However, within minutes of starting to edit I encountered the first of my problems again. I was replaying some newly placed clips in the timeline and was greeted by the 'sorry error message' again. I rebooted premiere and continued uninterupted, until once when I attempted to drag a clip from the source monitor down to the timeline and it went black again. After a few seconds of clicking around, the normal interface returned - but the play/stop toggle wasn't working either.

After the time it's taken me to type this up, I can now play things in the source monitor and timeline back, but I don't doubt that I'll encounter this again. This is how my problem started initially.

• 18. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                            Promter Level 1

Hira,

don't feel alone, I am so ticked off right now that I don't have anything good to say about Adobe. 

I'm on my 5th time today using Task Manager to close out the program.

I created an entire project in CS4 (which took quite some time) and there was one clip that kept on microblocking over and over on the same 3 spots.

So I thought this 1280x720 1.0 progressive clip went bad during a drag and drop from my camera to the temporary project folder. Nope!

Its Adobe.

I opened the clip in VLC and it plays perfect.

I opened the clip in a few other programs and it plays perfect.

so I thought, ok let me open it in After Effects and re-render it without the pixelating because it's not the clip.

Opened it in After Effects and it microblocked at the same 3 spots.

So I decided to open the clip in another encoder I have and re-code it as a QT H.264 to test it out.

Brought the new clip back into PremiereCS4 and problem is gone in the viewer. Dropped it in the timeline, Premiere Crashed!

After waiting 10 mintes again for like the 5th time it never came back and had to end task it.

After countless reboots I got the entire timeline to play nice all the way and the pixel problem was gone.

So I decided to render the entire 3 minute project and BAM! Crashed Again!

CS3 was never this bad.

I opened and played the original clip in Vegas to see what would happen in another editing suite and after playing it back on the Vegas timeline for about 10 times with no problem decided to give up on PremiereCS4, and though it's going to be time consuming to do the entire project over in another program, but it will be faster than fighting with problems that keep generating endlessly.

Sorry for the blast-off on your thread I'm really frustrated.

By the way this is my first and last time editing XDCAM-EX footage in Premiere.

I usually edit P2 Footage with no issues encountered.

I'm posting here with the hope that Adobe takes these comments and information into consideration and stops trying to be like ford!

Good luck with your issue and by the way hi Jeff!

• 19. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              I'm posting here with the hope that Adobe takes these comments and information into consideration and stops trying to be like ford!

Unfortunately, the closest thing to an Adobe presence in these fora is that little logo at the upper-left of each page - the Adobe one. You'll want to file a Bug Report/Feature Request with Adobe directly. Be sure to give full specs on your system, your Assets and your Project. You want Adobe to be able to replicate your crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This sounds like an issue with your system, and possibly the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. That buy.com page did not give many details on your HP. How many HDD's does it have? What are their sizes, their speed, their controller type, the amount of free space on each and how are they allocated? A likely cure might well be contained in that list of specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS

Most crashes are because of the following and most often in this order:

1.) system

2.) Assets (you've taken this pretty much out of the equation with DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio)

3.) Project (so long as your Project Presets match your Assets, you should be good to go here)

• 21. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                                  Hira Meijin Level 1

After, I can't even remember how many restarts, everything seems to be working well now. Converting my assets was the right thing to do after all. However, I'm faced with another, worse problem - looks like I'll be making another thread. Thanks for all the help Wine Snob.

• 22. Re: Error: "Sorry, a serious error has occcured..."
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that there is good news, but sorry to hear that there is another side to things.

Will look for your new thread, and maybe we can find a cure for that one too.

Good luck,

Hunt