3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 7:34 AM by Mylenium

Graphic Size

emana

I need to create a .bmp that is 521 x 255. I created a new Illustrator file and I set the size of the graphic to be 521 x 255. I then arranged the graphic and saved. I then exported to .bmp. The bitmap size changed to 544 x 256!!!

I played around with a few things. I tried a .jpg instead of .bmp. Same thing.

I also noticed the box I drew around the graphic (black fill, 2 pt), had the stroke centered on the box. I put it to "inside" so I would have the true outer dimensions. This got me closer but not the exact size I need for the .bmp file.

I also tried to make the artboards larger and set the image up so that the box around the graphic was still 521x255. I made the artboards 600 x 300. When I save the image, I guess Illustrator is smart enough to save only the graphic....still not sized right.

What am I doing wrong? I have attached the .ai file.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

• 1. Re: Graphic Size
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ed,

You should make sure your artwork is aligned with the points/pixels of the Artboard; and you should work in whole points/pixels; your sizes are 521.509 x 255.002. The sizes of the Clipping Mask and the image are yet different, irregular measuers.

If you select everything except for the outer frame, the size is 543.5 x 255.004 which explains the 544 x 256.

I am still with 10 so type is reinterpreted; some frame or the border of the type is extending past the rest.

Select the different parts, delete what is not needed, adjust sizes to fit the desired overall size, and make sure the outermost edges of the outermost parts, including strokes as you are aware of, fit into an integer values rectangle of the Artboard/Workspace.

• 2. Re: Graphic Size
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Jacob said, adjust your stuff. Since you seem to design this for web or video, make sure to use pixel preview to place and size your stuff within full pixel increments.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Graphic Size
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Other options are to use the outer Reference Points in the Transform palette and to tick Use Preview Bounds in the preferences while you are at it.