4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 6:04 AM by bomberstudios

How to make Grid command or save grid preferences

doofdoof2

Hi there,

long time user of macromedia / adobe suite with high use of fireworks

Have finally got around to installing CS4, and its all very nice, but having trouble setting up the grid as a command.

Previously in CS3, one could set the grid size via the drop down. But now one has to go to preferences to change the grid size.

I used to use a command to change the grid size to cut down on workflow in CS3, but now I can't save the command steps in CS4 as they don't appear in the history panel.

Anyone know how to save a command or change the preferences so that I can define something other than the standard (and painful) 36x36 grid? I only want a 10x10 grid *sigh.

Thanks

Dave

• 1. Re: How to make Grid command or save grid preferences
          Dave Hogue Level 2

Dave,

Here is a command that will create a 10x10 grid.  Just place the file in the Commands folder for your personal Fireworks settings. On a Windows PC it should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

The command will then appear in the bottom section of the Commands menu.  You can edit this file in a text editor to change the grid size, grid color, and whether or not you want to use snap to grid.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How to make Grid command or save grid preferences
            Dave Hogue Level 2

Dave,

(Sorry about the previous post - I would upload the command directly, but the forums seem to be having some problems, and I get an error every time I try to upload a file.)

Here is a command to create a 10x10 grid.  Copy the following four lines of code and put them in a simple text file, save it, then rename it something like 10x10_grid.jsf.  It needs to have the .jsf file extension for Fireworks to understand it.

fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridSize({x:10, y:10});
            fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridColor("#cccccc");
            fw.getDocumentDOM().setShowGrid(true);
            fw.getDocumentDOM().setSnapToGrid(true);

Put the file in the Commands folder of your personal Fireworks settings. On a Windows XP PC this should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

The next time you start Fireworks it will appear in the bottom section of the Commands list from the main menu.  You can edit each line of the command to change the grid size, grid color, and whether or not to show the grid and use snap to grid.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to make Grid command or save grid preferences
              doofdoof2 Level 1

Hye Dave,

thanks for the command - it saves a lot of time.

Mucho Appreciado

Dave

• 4. Re: How to make Grid command or save grid preferences
                bomberstudios

In addition to the suggestions that have lready been made, you may want to take a look at the "Grids" commands in my Orange Commands bundle: http://github.com/bomberstudios/fireworks