8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 2:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players

WillinToListen Level 1

I've searched and read all the articles about dual layer DVD's on the forum but I am more confused than ever!

I video tapped an Orthodox Easter service that latest about 3 hours.  I had planned on burning the edited video to a DVD-DL but have read that might not be a good idea because "dual layer DVD's have a very poor success rate at being read by set-top dvd players."  Is this true?  Is a DVD+DL better, or a Double Layer DVD?  Or is the solution to use two DVD-R discs?  (or DVD+R?)

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
          the_wine_snob Level 9

By the DVD-spec., any set-top player with the DVD logo, must play DL replicated DVD-Videos. Now, where the problem comes in is that NONE are required to play ANY burned DVD-Videos. This ARTICLE will get you started on doing the best possible job of burning for set-top players. It's the exact same for DVD-5's and DVD-9's (DL).

Now, because PE will set the burn speed based on a combo of the speed of the media, and one's burner, I strongly recommend buying the slowest media possible to get the slowest burn speed, or Burning to a Folder, and then using ImgBurn to physically burn the DVD. With that combo, you can set the lowest burn speed. Slower is better, and will go a long way to getting a burned disc, that more set-top players can handle.

The other option would be to create a DVD-5 set of two discs. Because of PE's inability to handle multiple "Sequences," like PrPro, in a Project, one is relegated to doing two Projects: 1/2 on #1 and the other 1/2 on #2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
            WillinToListen Level 1

Thanks Hunt.

Is there any advantage to DVD-DL or DVD+DL?

Thanks again.

- Don

• 3. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With older set-top players, there was more of a difference in + and - media. With most recent players, there is much less. Now, one would almost have to know exactly what the clients have and which "flavor" their particular machines like. If most are newer players, there should be little, or no difference.

I use the Verbatim printable DVD +R DL media, and have no returns. That, however, does not mean that some clients will not have units that prefer -R DL media, but have not encountered any yet. My test systems (from ultra high-end players down to US$49 ultra-bargain units), all play the +R DL's fine.

I cannot stress the media brand choices enough. I use only Verbatim (for my DL media) and Taiyo Yuden for all DVD-5's. I burn at the slowest speed (Encore, the Adobe authoring program that now ships with PrPro, as of CS3 and CS4), and would certainly go with the Burn to Folder, then use ImgBurn for the physical burning, as I feel that strongly about slow burn speeds. The tiny differential in burn time, is more than offset, if one only has to re-burn one DVD. Most of the time is spent in Transcoding, and not in the actual burning operation.

With several thousand burned DVD's, I have never had one return.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Just some add on thoughts maybe to supplement previous contributions……

Right now you are plotting the course for generating the end product and its playback. What version of Premiere Elements are you using? Does your computer have sufficient resources to handle importing/editing/exporting of a 3 hour video, using either burn to disc (double layer) or burn to folder? What is the format of the video that you are putting on the Premiere Elements Timeline, DV Standard or Widescreen or HDV or AVCHD?

Another issue that you may have to address is the Layer Break associated with burning to a Double Layer DVD disc (8.5 GB/240 min/2.4x). It can vary from hardly noticeable to noticeable. See the following link for the basic idea.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/howtoguides/dvdvideobreakpoint.php

The next link describes “How to burn Dual Layer Disks with PgcEdit” (free software)

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgcedit_v2.htm

Assuming that you have the resources to support your project, I would do a test run for direct burn to disc, using a double layer DVD (such as “DVD+R DL” with specifications 8.5 GB/240 min/2.4x) and the path Share/Disc/Disc (the latter is used for standard DVD disc as well as a Double Layer DVD disc). When you play the finished product, check for any Layer Break problem. At that time, decide if burn to folder and PgcEdit are going to be needed.

The support offered by the DVD players can differ from player to player even for a DVD disc standard (4.7 GB/120 min/8x or 16x). The safest way (which is not always available) is to check out the specification of the player that you intend to use. Important is the player's supported disc type as well as the supported format on that disc type.

There is always dividing your presentation in two using burn to disc and two different DVD-R discs (4.7 GB/120 min/8x or 16x). If you decide the latter, check into the details of working with a larger project in small sections and other details (maybe in a new thread).

ATR

• 5. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I've never used PE to burn a DVD-9, and do not know how it handles the Layer Break. With Encore, I can go with Automatic Layer Break, or set it manually. ImgBurn allows one to set manually, and will even give one the option of "Optimal," or "OK," and will help rule out less desirable  points.

I just do not know how PE handles the Layer Breaks and would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
                    WillinToListen Level 1

I should have the resources I need to burn this long project but I was planning on exporting each section as a movie, (created in several separate projects)then add them back into a new project.  Render this new project, burn to a folder, then use ImgBurn to burn to DL disc.

• 7. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Since I came on the Premiere Elements scene, I have not seen that Premiere Elements has a feature to handle the Layer Break of the Double Layer DVD. That is when Robert Johnston a few years ago came to the rescue with the suggestion of the PgcEdit procedure as an intervention. (See PgcEdit link cited previously.)

ATR

• 8. Re: Reading burned dual layer DVD's on set-top players
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Thanks. I just have no experience with how PE might handle the Layer Break, so was asking mainly for my education.

Appreciated,

Hunt