4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2009 5:02 PM by BoomerangThree

Newbie Alert:  Is the Flash Builder 4 SDK for Eclipse

BoomerangFour Level 1

the same as the Flash Builder 4 development environment with all the existing Eclipse functionality and perspectives?

So I guess in other words, if I download Eclipse and the Flash Builder 4 SDK and install it to Eclipse, I should have the same functionality as Flash Builder 4 development environment, but with all the Eclipse standard perspectives, functionality, ect in tact?

Thanks for the paitence and any replies.

Regards,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Newbie Alert:  Is the Flash Builder 4 SDK for Eclipse
          David_F57 Level 5

The sdk is the flex framework and associated compiler etc. it has no "eclipse/ide"  functionality, for that you need the eclipse plugin.

David.

• 2. Re: Newbie Alert:  Is the Flash Builder 4 SDK for Eclipse
            ma.tze Level 1

Hi Jeff,

the Flash Builder Standalone version (not plugin) is an eclipse IDE ( Version Gaymede). Everthing is setup to develop Flex, with specialized views and perspectives for Flex.

But you can use the software update functionality to install anything you like (c++, php, java, wtp etc).

If you install the plugin version, it depends on top which version.

Both FB3 and FB4 is testes with Ganymede "only", the most current version of eclipse is galileo, which was released some weeks ago.

There are eclipse version configured for c++, php, Java etc. Then of course you have this version with the flex stuff on top. In the end you can have everything with both ways!

What I said is true for Flashbuilder 3, with Flashbuilder 4 it is a little different.

I tried to use the install the plugin version of FB4b1. Although the installation seems to work, several functionality does not work with the plugin version, but works with the standalone!

As FB4 is still in beta 1  I recommend that you use the standalone version and install what you need on top of it.

Then you will have less problems with Flex beta.

You can install and use any SDK in your eclipse you like at the same time You can switch the version in the settings.

Hope this helps!

Martin Zach

• 3. Re: Newbie Alert:  Is the Flash Builder 4 SDK for Eclipse
              BoomerangThree Level 1

Martin,

Most excellent.  Thanks for the tip and reminder.  I really appreciate you taking time to respond in detail.

I've got another question on FlexGlobals.topLevelApplication, but I will be a good citizen and search the forums 1st and if I cannot find an answer I will post the question.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of the day...  Tiger wins the Buick Open "again"....

• 4. Re: Newbie Alert:  Is the Flash Builder 4 SDK for Eclipse
                BoomerangThree Level 1

Thanks David for the response.

It's great to be able to rely on the forums and the great members who are paitent and understanding of us newbies....