7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 1:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size

Setrett4 Level 1

I have a device which captures video from television.  However, the device compresses the video before it outputs it with the following settings:

Video 640x480

1.2 Mbps video

128 kbps stereo audio

48 KHz

Normally this would be fine, except that sometimes I would like to edit out commercials using CS4.  But in my experience, the export settings I use always tend to make the file balloon in size, even when I'm using the H.264 codec, for example.  Is there any way within CS4 to take, say, a 70MB video file, cut out the commericials and be left with a file whose size is less than 70MB with no change in video quality?  I don't want to do any compression, I just want to snip out parts of the video.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, please furnish all details about the Assets (those captured TV files). More details the better.

Then, tell us about the Project/Sequence Preset that you have chosen for that footage.

This info will likely help someone give you a good recommendation for how best to Export. BTW, how do you plan on delivering the finished material, BD, DVD-Video, upload to YouTube, etc.?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
            Setrett4 Level 1

Of course.  Here's some information from a sample captured video:

File Path: C:\Users\Owner\Videos\VID00009.MP4
            Type: QuickTime Movie
            File Size: 10.0 MB
            Image Size: 640 x 480
            Pixel Depth: 24
            Frame Rate: 29.97
            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
            Total Duration: 00:01:07:11
            Average Data Rate: 152 KB / second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

The preset that I have used to export the video is "NTSC DV High Quality", though I realize the the parameters of this preset do not match my original file.  My plan is not to distribute this material to the internet.  I am simply saving ocassional clips for posterity.  All else being equal it would be nice if the files were in a format that could be read by DVDs players if burned or an iPhone.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              File Path: C:\Users\Owner\Videos\VID00009.MP4
              Type: QuickTime Movie
              File Size: 10.0 MB
              Image Size: 640 x 480
              Pixel Depth: 24
              Frame Rate: 29.97

I assume that your source material is MP4 w/ the H.264 CODEC, but clarification might help. Now, unless you're on a Mac, I'd use QuickTime Pro to Export as a DV-AVI Type II file w/ the same Audio settings and PCM/WAV. This will match your Preset. This file WILL be larger, but once the editing is complete, you can then Export to a more compressed format/CODEC. If, for instance, you wish to go to iPod, you will also adjust your Frame Size to suit.

Personally, I'd want to use a less heavily compressed source format/CODEC, but much will depend on what your recorder will provide you with.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
                Setrett4 Level 1

I'm not sure how my source file is compressed.  It comes courtesty of the Pinnacle Video Transfer device.  It only outputs compressed video, so I'm forced to deal with it.

I attempted your suggestions, but am running into a few problems.  First, could you tell me why it's necessary to do any file conversions at all?  Again, I simply want to remove bits of the file without changing the video quality at all.  Why must I first go through the hassle of making it an AVI?

Second, you suggested exporting from QuickTime Pro as a DV-AVI Type II file.  What did you mean by this?  I'm given the option to export to AVI or to DV Stream.

Third, when I exported as an AVI, I was given a file with 31.25 fps, which differs from the 29.97 I had originally.  When I export this file in Premiere, I get a choppy video.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason for conversion is that because with SD material, PrPro is built around a DV-AVI Type II file format with the MS DV CODEC. Whether you convert externally (my choice), or force PrPro to try and do it internally, a conversion will take place. If your computer is very robust and the necessary CODEC's can be used by PrPro, you might get by. Remember, many CODEC's are designed just for playback. Some NLE programs can work with them for editing, but many cannot do so. Most CODEC's are designed as delivery formats only, and are not meant to be edited at all.

Do not know why your QT Pro does not allow you to choose the full MS DV CODEC, which will yield a DV-AVI Type II w/ the necessary frame rate and also the proper Audio specs. That is odd. What are the full settings for the "AVI?"

As far as the format/CODEC of the material from the Pinnacle, you can run one of its files through G-Spot and get the full details. That will tell you about the compression, plus all other aspects of the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
                    Setrett4 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I've attached the output of GSpot's file analysis and the options I'm offering when exporting in QuickTime Pro.

I have also included what I see when I select "Options" from QTPro.  Does this help?

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 Novice Wants to Know How to Edit Commercials Out of Compressed Video w/o Changing File Size
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at your G-Spot screen, seems to indicate that there might be an issue with the installation of your Apple H.264 CODEC. The "CODEC Status Undetermined," is curious. Might want to check the status of the H.264 CODEC in your system.

Are you in PAL-land, or NTSC-land. I'd choose the DV/DVCPRO that is appropriate for your location. AVI [Uncompressed] should work, though the files will be about 5x larger than needed.

Good luck,

Hunt