29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 6:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Where to start??

Stacey1967

Hi, I got CS3 Master Suite a few months ago. I'm familiar with Photsohop but am slowly working my way around to using the other applications. I want to know how to make a video using only still photos. I know Premiere is my best bet. But, w/out a good tutorial I'm basically flying blind as I don't know this ap well. Can someone point me to a good tutorial with the steps laid out? I want to give this gift to a young couple.

Thank you,

Stacey

• 1. Re: Where to start??
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will get you started with the prep for your still images from PS. Your exact choice of Frame Size will depend on your Project Preset, say NTSC DV 4:3 720x480 PAR 0.9.

Once you have them sized, Edit>Preferences>General and set the Duration for your Still Images to something that works for your pacing. Import your stills and then drag them to the Timeline. Adjust any Duration to suit.

This link to the PrPro Wiki will put you into tutorials on almost everything in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Where to start??
            Stacey1967 Level 1

Thanks alot. I'll read this article and then the adobe premiere pro website for a tut.

• 3. Re: Where to start??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I am a really big fan of reading manuals. I look second to the Help files, but have to admit that I'm one of those archaic "book people," so the manual is my go-to first source.

Next, with the FAQ section and the Tutorial section of the PrPro Wiki, nearly everything that you could want to do will be covered someplace. Where the manual and the Help files come in handy is that they will give you the basic terminology to search for, with regards to both the FAQ's and the tutorials. For instance, knowing that you are looking for info on what is called PiP (Picture in Picture) will help greatly. Many other terms, that could be logically applied - well, not so much.

Basically, once you get your Assets (your stills) prepared for your Project/Sequence, and then get a general Duration set, you're pretty much "home free." The rest is placing your Assets onto the Timeline in the order you want them to appear. You tweak the Duration to be specific. Add your chosen Transitions (look up "Default Transition," and experiment with Ctrl-d to apply that, and you're work is nearly automated), any Titles and a soundtrack, then decide how you want to deliver this SlideShow, i.e. DVD-Video, where you'll use Encore to author it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS knowing PS gives you a real head start with using PrPro to create a SlideShow. Note: Encore has a "SlideShow" function, but I find it very, very limiting. You might want to experiment with that, but I think you'll find PrPro a better tool all of the way around.

• 4. Re: Where to start??
                Stacey1967 Level 1

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond--I'm glad I found this forum. I took a look at the PrPro Wiki as you suggested and, man, talk about information mother-load. I did a search on still images and video and 3 tuts came up. But, as you said, once I have the correct terminology to know what I'm looking for.I'm sure I'll find much more.

Thanks again,

Stacey

• 5. Re: Where to start??
                  Phil Griffith Level 2

If you want to do some pans and zooms on your photos, then you do not want to resize them to your project size first. premiere will handle photos up to 4k X 4k I believe.That way you could zoom in to a photo and the resolution would still be good. If, however, you do not want to do that then you could resize. To do pans and zooms look at the motion effects.

• 6. Re: Where to start??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe it is because I come from a still background, I look at each image as a separate entity. Normally, I'll end up with about 3 sizes that I need:

1.) exact match for my Project Frame Size, as I will only be Zooming in, and any Pans will be performed from there

2.) images where there will be Pans on a Zoomed-out image, so I size to just what I need above the Project's Frame Size

3.) occasional larger images for heavy Panning, while Zoomed-out (far fewer, though larger than #2 above)

In PS, I'll create three working folders with copies of my .PSD's in each category and use an Action to resize to what is needed, outputting to a "Finished_PSD_small," "_____large," and "____extra-large." This keeps the resource overhead to a minimum and also any Scaling in PrPro to a minimum. I've even gone so far as to resize an image two ways, one for the first view of it (extra large), and then another resizing, for when I get into the image. I'll just do a Cross-Dissolve between the "extra large" version, and the "smaller" version, as I still want most of my resizing done by PS, and not PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Where to start??
                      Stacey1967 Level 1

Wow, there's a lot of information in the last 2 posts. I hope I can accomplish some of this. It will be a busy next couple of days, so I won't get the chance to start my tutorials on PrPro Wiki until Wed. Wish me luck!

Thanks

• 8. Re: Where to start??
                        Stacey1967 Level 1

I'm just getting around to looking at the tutorials I found on the Pro PR Wiki. They're great, very easy to understand and beginner-friendly. I haven't looked at the 2nd tutorial for slideshows yet, but am pleased with the first. I want to make my slideshow look more like stop-motion action. I don't want there to be a transition time or effects and I want the individual images to be no longer than 1sec. I played around a little bit in the "edit-general-preferences" box, but couldn't get this to look like I wanted. Do I need to adjust the "pre-roll, post-roll and timeline playback auto-scrolling features"? Or should I be looking at another field?

Thanks so much,

Stacey

• 9. Re: Where to start??
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Edit>Preferences>General>Still Image Duration.  This will affect new images that you import.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Where to start??
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

For a "stop-motion" look I'd go with the 30 frame (or less) Duration in Edit>Preferences. Still, that sounds like it is not working for you.

Can you point to maybe a Vimeo or YouTube example of what you want? Maybe something there will trigger.

Good luck, and enjoy those tutorials,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Where to start??
                              Stacey1967 Level 1

Hi, Jeff.

I tried that. I've got about 265 still photos and the settings I used were: 30 frames (but don't know if I should change this number) and 30 for the still image duration time. This did not get the look I was aiming for.

Thank you,

Stacey

• 12. Re: Where to start??
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

As you and Jeff were posting at the same time that I was, I assume that you'll see my request for an example for us to see what you wish to achieve.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Where to start??
                                  Stacey1967 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt and Jeff:

Here's an example. About 45 seconds in you'll see what look I'm trying to get: http://http://www.langephoto.com/video_flipbook.html

• 14. Re: Where to start??
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

That link is dead for me. Would you please check it out. Click - dead, Copy/Paste - dead.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Where to start??
                                      Stacey1967 Level 1

Hi Hunt--great minds think alike. I just reposted the correct link. An extra "http://" got inserted by mistake.

Thanks,

Stacey

• 17. Re: Where to start??
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Got it. The beginning is about 30 frames per image. The next segment is probably 1-3 frames. The exact "feel" and pace will be up to your eye.

If you are doing this only, then I'd experiment with a couple of stills and hone the Duration. When you feel that you've "got it," then use that "master" Duration to Import the rest. You can still tweak the Duration, based on individual images, but you'd like to start close to what you want, rather than have to tweak each one.

Also, look into Importing Numbered Sequences. Still, you'll want your Duration to be close to save "hand work."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Where to start??
                                          Stacey1967 Level 1

Thanks for responding, Hunt. I really do appreciate it...but I have no idea what any of that meant . So should I make the frame 1-3 instead of 30 and then work on the duration time? I know that's the key to having it look like I want.

• 19. Re: Where to start??
                                            Stacey1967 Level 1

Now even more confused. I changed the frames from 30 to 10 or 15, the duration time to 5. Now when I hit the play button, it jumps over certain still frames, not showing them at all.

• 20. Re: Where to start??
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What I thought that I saw, indicated that the Duration for those "stop motion" images was much shorter than 1 sec (equals ~ 30 frames for NTSC and 25 for PAL). That was why I suggested going shorter for that effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Where to start??
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have set the Duration to 5 Frames. Before you hit the play button again, hit Enter first, to make sure that everything has been Rendered for smoother playback.

Have things improved?

Since you are not using Transitions, you do not have to worry about those being longer than the Duration of your Clips (your still images).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Where to start??
                                                  Stacey1967 Level 1

Oh, yes, ok. I played around with those numbers and got what I was looking for.

Thanks!!

• 23. Re: Where to start??
                                                    Stacey1967 Level 1

YES!!  Hitting the 'enter' button fixed the process. Now I know exactly what numbers to play with and to render the video before I hit play. I'm going to try and find the tutorial for outputing the video to DVD or BlueRay.

Thanks so much for your help, Hunt!!

• 24. Re: Where to start??
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Now, I forget what version of PrPro you have. Do you also have Encore? Authoring to DVD-Video is easy, especially with Encore.

There is a full forum on that program, with various sub-fora for the specialized functions in it. If you do have it, I'll see you in the Encore Forum If you have PrPro 2.0, or earlier, then you can go directly, although with less control.

Good luck,

Hunt.

• 25. Re: Where to start??
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Now, I forget what version of PrPro you have.

OK, found it - CS3! Use Encore to author your DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Where to start??
                                                          Stacey1967 Level 1

Yes, I have CS3 Master Suite (if that makes a difference) and Encore is included. I can't wait to see my "video" in DVD format.

Thanks again,

Stacey

• 27. Re: Where to start??
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

Though you will get other workflows in the Encore forum, heres mine:

1.) Export from Prpro as elemental streams, i.e. one DV-AVI Type II, video-only file and one PCM/WAV (or AC3) audio-only file.

2.) Import the DV-AVI Type II as a Timeline in Encore

3.) Import the PCM/WAV as an Asset

4.) In Encore, drag the WAV from the Project Panel to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place

5.) Establish all navigation with the Menu Templates, or ones that you create in PS that are 100% DVD-compliant

6.) Check Project

7.) Preview Project

8.) Burn Project

9.) Enjoy!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Where to start??
                                                              Stacey1967 Level 1

Thanks for the link to the Encore forum and for all the tips. I feel semi-confidant I know what I'm doing now. LOL.

Stacey

• 29. Re: Where to start??
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

Though it seems almost counter-intutitive to go to the Encore forum, especailly as it is now only available bundled with PrPro (a mistake IMHO). However there are several posters there, who do not "hang" in the PrPro forum. Jbowden is one, and one of the best. Same for Neil Wilkes. Jeff Bellune has presence here, and in the Encore forum, but he knows his Encore stuff - heck, he wrote the book on it.

See you there,

Hunt

PS - ignore any comments that I have there, 'cause I do not know anything, compared to some only there. BTW - Jon Geddes is another great resource there, and is not present here.