5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 5:16 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ

A.T. Romano Level 7

In the Premiere Elements FAQ section is a FAQ “How can I proxy edit: a high definition project?” based on Robert Johnston’s work.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390600?tstart=0

I have used it successfully for AVCHD (non Full) and HDV and think that I understand the concept, but would like clarification on a point to make sure that I do.

In Steve Grisetti’s write up of the procedure, he says

“Proxy editing temporarily substitutes a sort of preview video for native files, usually one of lower resolution so that you can work with it more easily.” It is his "work with it more easily" that I need to focus in on.

Say that I import a HDV video into Premiere Elements project .prel which has been set for the custom preset as per the FAQ. I edit the video on the Timeline. The only time that you are going to see the lower resolution form in the Monitor is after you Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. Does that mean that all this procedure has done was to allow you to view lower resolution preview files? In other words, if I imported the HDV into the Premiere Elements project .prel with the custom preset, edited, did not Render the Timeline, went straight to Share/Personal Computer/, would there be any reason for using this procedure? Is proxy edit just to spare the program the demands of previewing high resolution preview files used for real time playback in the Monitor...the imported native video is still at 1440 x 1080, but the preview files are 360 x 270?

ATR

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a great question for Robert!

If you can't find him here, he's often found on the Muvipix forum at http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it would be a great question for you, but...

This is one of my favorite places, so I will wait for a response here from Robert Johnston or any other user who has the time to contribute to this topic. If no other responses, I will draw my own scenario based on the original details supplied and on what I see by actually carrying out the procedure.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ
              Paul_LS Level 4

Basically it allows you to edit a lower resolution file that requires much less computer resources than required for AVCHD. On a less powerful computer PE7 will stutter playing back AVCHD files from the timeline making it difficult to edit, especially when effects are added. The solution is to render the timeline... this converts the AVCHD files to HD MPEG2 files which are less processor intensive... but this takes time and you need to keep rendering when you make an edit. Using the proxy you can view the video/effect without rendering.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul_LS

Thanks for the reply.

I am with you about editng preview file (proxy) instead of the original AVCHD HD1080i or HDV HD 1080i. But, I went off course with your comment:

"Using the proxy you can view the video/effect without rendering" since you do not see the preview file until after you have rendered your edit of the Timeline.

Perhaps my understanding of that will answer the question that I asked about the benefits of using the proxy procedure if the workflow is just import, no edit, export.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 Proxy Edit FAQ
                  Paul_LS Level 4

"Using the proxy you can view the video/effect without rendering"

You can view the effects applied to a clip without rendering... if you apply the effect to a low resolution clip the processor will be able to play it back smoothly... so without the need to render. If you apply the same effect to a high resolution clip you would need to render the clip to see it play back smoothly.