7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 11:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing Still images

terry lee martin Level 1

Hi, I'm sure it is something simple that I'm doing wrong but I can't figure it out. When I import a still image into Premiere Pro CS4, and place it into the timeline, I am able to view it, but it is not a clear image. There are jagged edges on many parts of it. This only occurs when I play the video. When I place the timeline indicator on it and view it as a paused frame, it is perfectly clear. Before I imported it into my project I went to preferences and checked the "Default Scale to frame size". First question is, are those jagged edges that I see normal? Will it be a clear photo when I've encoded it and created the DVD of the video?

The second thing I don't understand is the size of the image that appears in the program window when I place a still image on the timeline. I thought that going to Edit - preferences- general, and checking the "Default Scale to Frame Size" box would fit the photo in at the same size as the rest of the video. It doesn't. I am able to see my entire photo, but to do so I have to use the sliders on the bottom of the image screen and on the right side. Again, maybe this is normal? Maybe it will turn out right when it is encoded and turned into a DVD? If it is normal, how do I stop it? I am trying to insert a lot of digital stills in with my video, and I want to see the entire photo just as if it was a part of the video I shot, and I can't figure out how to do it. I thought that Default scale to frame size would do it, but it just doesn't.

• 1. Re: Importing Still images
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will get you started towards better quality still images in PrPro.

Once you have resized in PS, the result will be better. Also, for best preview, set Magnification to 100% and Qualtiy to Highest.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing Still images
            terry lee martin Level 1

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I am pretty new to the forums and I don't know how to access the thread you sent me. Do I type that info into the search box on the forum?

Terry Lee Martin

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:13:38 -0600

To: terryleemartin@hotmail.com

Subject: Importing Still images

This /thread/450798?tstart=0 will get you started towards better quality still images in PrPro.

Once you have resized in PS, the result will be better. Also, for best preview, set Magnification to 100% and Qualtiy to Highest.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Importing Still images
              terry lee martin Level 1

Thank you I figured it out. I will read the article you sent me. Thank you very much.

Terry Lee Martin

This /thread/450798?tstart=0 will get you started towards better quality still images in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 4. Re: Importing Still images
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Terry,

Some might depend on how you are accessing the fora. In a browser, just clicking on the bold, underlined word should open that page. If not, then here is the link and you can Copy/Paste this into a browser's URL window: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0.

It will/should open to an article in the PE forum's Tip & Tricks sub-forum. Don't be alarmed, as this end of both programs, PrE and PrPro, will be the same. The article is written for Photoshop (my image editor), though Photoshop Elements will do almost everything, and in almost the exact same manner - PS just has more power, than does PSElements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Importing Still images
                  terry lee martin Level 1

Hi,

I appreciate your help with importing still images into PPCS4, and I understand now. Thank you very much.

I was scanning through some of the forums yesterday to pick up as many tips as my brain could handle, and I came across one that, I'm quite certain, you had replied to back in June. I went over it quickly and it didn't sink in until later that day, and then I couldn't find it again. If I read it correctly, someone had contacted you about using PPCS4 with Microsoft's new operating system System 7.

Did I understand correctly that PPCS4 does not work properly after you install System 7? I think the person mentioned that he could no longer access the menu templates. The reason I am contacting you, is that I am having that same difficulty right now, However I am using Vista.

I go to Encore and then to the Library. In the set box I click on General, and all that happens is that another window opens up with the word GENERAL with a check mark next to it. I can't access any templates, and it won't display any other category but general.

The annoying part of it, is that I was able to do so earlier in the day yesterday. I remember seeing many different categories, and in particular one category of Weddings. I was able to click and see all of the previews of what the menu would look like. A few hours later I tried it again, and I was no longer able to access any templates. Something happened in the meantime.

I am wondering if it is related to something else that I noticed yesterday as I sat learning PPCS4 for 8 hours or so. I had been playing with several different video clips. I would start up PPCS4 and load in a clip and try different things with it. After doing this several times, each time booting up PPCS4, and starting a new project, sometimes saving it but usually just shutting down the program without saving it, I noticed that the next time I booted up PPCS4, I got a completely blank page. The program was open, but there were no windows open. After a whole lot of playing around, I found that when I pulled up a saved project, and did something minor to it, and saved it, the next time I tried to start a new project all the windows were there. It appeared to me that the program opens using all the windows in the exact way of the project you last saved. Is that correct?

I'm wondering if my no longer being unable to access any menu templates in Encore, has any relation to that situation. Did I do something while in Encore, that caused it to not display the menu templates the next time I booted Encore up?  Thank you

Terry Lee Martin

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 6. Re: Importing Still images
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

From the looks of it, something has been corrupted along the way. All the symptoms you mention are not the way it should normally be. My first effort would be to try a repair install and checking whether it improves. Next, you have two alternatives. Either give way more details about your system (have a look here: Some suggestions or contact Adobe Technical Support.

• 7. Re: Importing Still images
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I'd look to the Repair Install first, as Harm states. The lack of your Functional Content in Encore (plus other symptoms) does point in that direction - bad/corrupted installation.

As for Win7, many are running CS4.1 on it just fine. There were reports of two fairly recent builds "breaking" things Adobe, but it seems that earlier builds and later builds have few problems, so long as one's system has the right drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS did you install from a download, or from a DVD? If the former, make sure that you got ALL of the installation files, including the Functional Content. Have never done a download of any program from Adobe, but it seems that the Web site is not the best at telling users exactly what they need to download and then how to go about Extracting the archived files for proper installation.