12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 6:17 PM by Promter

Mixed Media Editing Slowdown

QJohnson

I shot video in three formats that I want to mix; AVCHD (Sony), Panasonic and Aiptek .MOV files.  My thinking was to use native AVCHD since I had the most footage in that format, and pre-render the others.  I sent the .MOV files into m4v files.  All the files loaded nicely in the sequences.  They all seem compatible--no red line indicating re-render.  But when I start to do any opacity editing, they all want to re-render.  I have a show that runs over 70 minutes and don't have the life-span to re-render after every edit.  Short of sending it all to DV and starting over (with a couple of T-bites of hard drive) anybody have any opinions?

Dual core 2.66GHz, 2GB ram, three separate SATA hard drives, video drive is at 7200 RPM, fast nvidea card, winXP.  Killed the internet and virus.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why even bother to render in the first place, most of the time it is not necessary.

• 2. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
            Promter Level 1

First, I'm assuming you dragged and dropped all the AVCHD footage for use and you did not caputre it, is that correct?

• 3. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
              QJohnson Level 1

Yes, I did a drag and drop from each camera.

Let me clarify; I only rendered the non-avchd video.  PP CS4 was not happy with mixed formats on the timeline.  So I rendered the others to match.

• 4. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
                Promter Level 1

in my experiences, Premiere hates AVCHD footage.

even though it is an option to edit in that format I would never edit AVDHD footage in Premiere.

I already went through those hedaches in the past.

The best way is to firewire capture everything in.

This way you have native footage. Other than than I am no further help on this issue. Sorry.

At this point if you are too far in.....  you may want to consider rendering the whole entire timeline to avi or something to throw in a new sequence to finish your project.

Of course I would only do something like that right before going to bed and waking up the next morning to a rendered file. If you have that much space on your hard drive too!

Hope someone else can give you better options....

good luck with your project.

• 5. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown

That is correct that AVCHD is very CPU demanding and some other Premiere friendly format would be a better choice.  Although you did not specifically say so it does appear that all the data is SD and therefore AVI DV might be the logical choice.  Once into that format unless you have some super critical edit veiwing required there is no need to render the timeline!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    in my experiences, Premiere hates AVCHD footage.

It is not that PrPro hates it, but that your computer does, as Bill G. points out.

The less processing that one requires of a CODEC/format, the better it will all be. With AVCHD, you start with a heavily compressed, CPU-intensive format. If you add others to the mix, that requires a lot of internal work, things do slow down greatly.

I'd look at converting all of the non-AVCHD footage to something easy on your computer and on PrPro, and use that to supplement the AVCHD footage, on a robust machine. Most recommed nothing less than a Quad-core w/ good I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's and their setup and allocation.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
                      QJohnson Level 1

Thanks to all for the info.  I was hoping to avoid the dreaded rerender (don't we all), but it is what it is.  I had gone down that path before, only to realize I needed Tera-bytes to do it all in DV.  But again, it is what it is...

Just an observation; I remember just over a year or so justifying the dual core for a show.  Now here we are again.

Cheers, guys.

• 8. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown

For about the third time why are you rendering the timeline??????????????

• 9. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
                          QJohnson Level 1

Third time?  Not that I really believe you're asking a question, but...

The first time you criticize but offer no help.  "...most of the time" doesn't do me much good as an answer.  If this was "most of the time" I wouldn't subject myself to your abuse.

The second time, you imply that I should change format--that means a render, at least that's the only way I know how to do it.  So that's not really a second time, I suppose...

The third time was chastising me about the first two times, I suppose.  Not much help there, either.

Again, the rest of you obviously and genuinely want to help and I most sincerely appreciate it.  I'm sure this isn't supposed to be a run-down-the-guy-seeking-answers site.

• 10. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown

P.S. FYI changing the format is not rendering.

• 11. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown
                              Promter Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

For about the third time why are you rendering the timeline??????????????

he is rendering the timeline because with AVCHD footage anything you need to do does not work unless the rest of it is rendered off!

or unless you have a $23,000 Mac!

I went throught those hedaches with AVCHD footage.

trying to scrub the timeline is like dragging a dead cow accross the screen!

I had to render, and render, and render, and render some more in order to do the next step what ever it was.

that's why I would never do AVCHD again unless I capture directly from the cam or convert it before bringing it in.

I learned my lesson with one of those projects.

• 12. Re: Mixed Media Editing Slowdown

QJohnson wrote:

only to realize I needed Tera-bytes to do it all in DV..

Apparently Mr. Johnson is not aware of the simple fact that once he does convert to DV that rendering is really is rarely necessary.

Also forum etiquette is not to lambaste someone who is volunteering to be helpful.

Thank you