10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 6:30 AM by Jeff Schewe

Old topic any new solutions????

photoshopwoes

Opening raw images in CS3.....

• 1. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

You are limited to the camera models supported in ACR 4.6, or the DNG files you may be able to convert with the latest version of the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter.

This will NOT change—ever.  CS3 is not supported any longer.  End of the road.

• 2. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
            JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

photoshopwoes wrote:

Opening raw images in CS3.....

Ramon is right.  There is no support for Photoshop CS3.  The files are closed, development has ceased.  I'm curious, however, to know what "solution" you might be looking for.

• 3. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
              photoshopwoes Level 1

Thanks Jim,  I guess just wishful thinking, I had hoped there might have been a plugin or a way around this annoying problem.

I suppose Adobe are thinking themselves very smart for making people either upgrade or buy the latest version!

Kathleen

• 4. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Kathleen,

ACR 5.4 hosted by CS4 is light-years ahead of Camera Raw hosted by CS3.  You're wasting a lot of image quality by staying with CS3.  If you're serious about your photography, the upgrade to CS4 is a no-brainer.

Don't take my word for it.  Download the trial version and immediately update to ACR 5.4, then see for yourself.

• 5. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

photoshopwoes wrote:

I suppose Adobe are thinking themselves very smart for making people either upgrade or buy the latest version!

Uh no..you are assuming facts not in evidence...the simple fact is that when a NEW version of Photoshop ships, previous version is no longer supported. CS4 shipped Oct 2008. There was actually a 4.6 version of ACR that shipped about that time because Adobe needed to make sure 4.6 handled the cameras shipping at that time as well as the final release of the DNG Profiles.

Presuming that Adobe is trying to screw it's customers tells more about YOUR own personal baggage that the motivations of Adobe and the Camera Raw team...the fact that the Camera Raw team is also responsible to producing the free DNG Convertor that allows Photoshop users going back to Photoshop CS and Camera Raw 2.4 to use DNG converted images pretty much flies in the face of your assumptions is pretty much proof the Camera Raw team ain't out to screw ya...

And yes, the differences between ACR 4.x and 5.x are well worth the Photoshop CS4 upgrade (IMHO).

• 6. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                    JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

In the meantime, there is the DNG converter that you can use.  And Adobe provides that program for free.  Some people complain that it adds an extra step to your workflow.  You have to download the images anyway, just use the DNG converter to do it.  It really isn't that bad.

• 7. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                      photoshopwoes Level 1

Thanks Ramón,

Thanks for the help, I am downloading as we speak!

Kathleen

• 8. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                        photoshopwoes Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jeff,

I didn't realise my personal baggage was weighing so heavily!  I had just assumed when paying for a product of the calibre of CS3, I would be able to carry out functions and receive updates that would allow me to continue in the workflow that I had become accustomed.

Yes silly me I did assume that I would work with this product for at least 12 months and be supported.  I have no such illusions or assumptions any more.

Kathleen

• 9. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                          photoshopwoes Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jim.

Kathleen

• 10. Re: Old topic any new solutions????
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

photoshopwoes wrote:

I had just assumed when paying for a product of the calibre of CS3, I would be able to carry out functions and receive updates that would allow me to continue in the workflow that I had become accustomed.

Yes silly me I did assume that I would work with this product for at least 12 months and be supported.  I have no such illusions or assumptions any more.

It's good that you no longer have those assumptions...it's Adobe's policy to provide free updates to currently shipping products. Photoshop CS3 got a free upgrade and Camera Raw got a total of 6 (ACR 4.6 was the last shipping build).

The moment that a new version ships (as CS4 did in October, 2008), support for the previous version ends...that's been Adobe's policy since I can remember (at least to the early 1990's). The fact that you waited so long in the upgrade cycle that you didn't get the full benefit of 18 months of use of the product is hardly Adobe's fault. The fact is tat at the moment, you are a former customer not a current customer...in any event you now know that DNG Converter provides backwards compatibility.