5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 11:51 PM by Mylenium

Colorize only one layer

RealSkyDiver

I'm using Trapcode Particular to generate an effect on to[ of a video and use a colorize adjustment layer to colorize the effect. Problem is that this also colorizes the video which is below the effect so how can I apply it only to the effect and leave the colors of the video unchanged?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Colorize only one layer
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Why not simply apply the color correction to the Particular layer? if that's not possible, you will have to pre-compose the particle layer along with your color correction and use that on top of your video...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Colorize only one layer
            RealSkyDiver Level 1

I can't do that because it won't change the color. Only works with an adjustment layer. Pre-Compose is useless since that removes the whole effect all together. So what now??

• 3. Re: Colorize only one layer
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

I fail to see how applying the effect to your Particular layer or precomping the adjustment layer and Particular won't fix your problem.  "I can't do that because it won't change the color. Only works with an adjustment layer. "

Huh?  I guess you'll have to describe your project better..  What sort of 3d layers, blend modes, effects, etc are you using.  I'd try posting a screenshot of your timeline/comp window to help clarify things.

Precomp useless?  Huh?  Again, I guess you'll have to describe your effect better, and what goes into creating it..

Maybe you could use a duplicate of the particular layer as a track matte for your effect.

• 4. Re: Colorize only one layer
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Pre-Comp would be useless if the user selected the first option (leave attributes) in the Pre-Comp dialog. In that case, Particular would be applied externally to the Pre-Comp. So, just in case, make sure you select the second option in that dialog.

• 5. Re: Colorize only one layer
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I can't do that because it won't change the color. Only works with an adjustment layer. Pre-Compose is useless since that removes the whole effect all together. So what now??

I really don't know what you are talking about. Applying an adjustment layer effectively treats the output from Particular as a 2D layer, which is no different what happens under normal circumstances if you apply the effect directly - to the result buffer of the previous effect/ operation. You are trying to see distinction where there is none. Some effects ignore Alpha and such, but that's a whole different matter. If 3D interaction is a concern, you wouldn't use adjustment layers at all as it breaks 3D rendering order, resulting in incorrect overlaps. So by all means, either you are doing something fundamentally wrong or just fail to give us a clear impression of what it actualyl is you are trying to do, so please elaborate, provide a screenshot, link to a reference clip or something like that.

Mylenium