4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 1:34 PM by JaysonM-Y

Premier Pro CS4 cumbersome on Mac.

JaysonM-Y Level 3

Problem # 1: So my timeline has  a 2 minute edit beyond the point I want to highlight. Select the track select tool, shift+click, spinning beach ball, wait for aproximately 10+ seconds before the tracks are highlighted.

Problem # 2: Even tho all you need to do you're editing from the source montionr or timeline monitor is a preview quality view, I still like my previews sharp. As if DV quality isn't bad enough, it has to be degraded even more. To get a propper view I have to resort to the Tv set connected to my deck(even tho this is the recommended way to view, I still want a better image in Premier).

Problem # 3: Actual preview is 1 to 3 frames ahead when previewing in the source monitor or timeline viewer. I have to constantly adjust my clips 1 to 3 frames back when I edit. I edit kinda fast so I set my ins and outs by ear in the source monitor(this method works almost flawlessly in FCP), and when I lay it to the time line, the in points are normally cut off by 1-3 frames and the end points extended by 1-3 frames. It happens on the Mac, and it happened to Premier Pro CS3(on a 4core well recommended pc) and Premier Pro 2(on a dual core reccomended pc....at the time of Premier 2 at least)

These 3 pluss a cupple of other performance issues. Pluss my grudge with not being able to export refference movies. >.> that one's just a grudge.

I'm not sure if anyone knows how to solve these issues, I'm not sure if anyone else has these issues, but you're input is highly welcomed...... especially if it's an answer to my problems. ^_^

• 1. Re: Premier Pro CS4 cumbersome on Mac.
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I dont run on MAC, so it is possibly a platform issue.  But I can tell you I dont see any of those problems you mention on my system.

If you monitors are set to "automatic quality" and it is choosing to degrade the res or frame rate then its an indication your system is underpowered.   You can override this by setting the monitors manually to best quality if you like (flyout menu)

Actually, adobe has something much better than reference movies.  Dynamic link.   You can move clips or timelines around the editing apps with no redering of any intermediate file at all.  Isnt that better than redering out a pointer file?

• 2. Re: Premier Pro CS4 cumbersome on Mac.
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Problem # 1: So my timeline has  a 2 minute edit beyond the point I want to highlight. Select the track select tool, shift+click, spinning beach ball, wait for aproximately 10+ seconds before the tracks are highlighted.

Though I am not a Mac-user, others do not report this lag. Please post your Mac's specs., and very likely someone will be able to tell you how to "tune it up." Heck, even a PC-user might see something and can offer advice that is not platform-specific to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premier Pro CS4 cumbersome on Mac.
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

Dynamic linking between apps is fine I do that alot both in Production Premium and FCS2, but it's the universal workflow of a ref.mov that I like. From FCP, I can make a ref.mov which I can drag and drop into any Adobe program or anyother program(like others used for video compression or whatever the need). Thanks for the info on the quality settings. I set it to high, and it previews perfectly now.

• 4. Re: Premier Pro CS4 cumbersome on Mac.
                JaysonM-Y Level 3

Model Name:    Mac Pro
                  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                  Processor Speed:    3 GHz
                  Number Of Processors:    2
                  Total Number Of Cores:    8
                  L2 Cache (per processor):    8 MB
                  Memory:    4 GB
                  Bus Speed:    1.33 GHz

Graphics:    ATY,RadeonX1900

Bus:    PCIe
                  Slot:    Slot-1
                  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
                  VRAM (Total):    512 MB

Displays:
                x2 DELL SE198WFP:
                  Resolution:    1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
                  Depth:    32-bit Color
                  Core Image:    Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme:    Supported

I got multiple externals but the one I'm currently using is a LaCie Big Disk Quadra. The timeline thing I find strange. It increases the more I have on the timeline. Another strange thing is that installing the Production Premium for the first time used to crash the system. And now on random occasions when I'd reinstall one of the apps, it'll give me the grey screen telling me the system has crashed and needs to restart.