• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tracking changes

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come up with a process to track changes? I have a page where users can edit content with the built in FCKeditor and submit these changes but the users would like a way to see what the previous changes were. Any ideas and/or best practices would be appreciated. TIA.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many versions do you want? Is one enough or do you want to save all previous versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in theory, tracking changes from the previous edit would probably suffice. But who knows with end-users. I am currently storing all changes but only the last edit is presently available and viewable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built something that stores article data in a separate table (ex: article_data) from the articles table itself. I increment the version and insert the new data into a new row in the article_data table. I also store the master article ID to relate back to the articles itself. This way I can query for the article history by the master article id, getting each version. Hopefully that doesn't come across as confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I think I understand. Just need a way to present it so that the users will understand it. It is beginning to appear that in this case, presentation is going to be the tough part. I will look into your suggestion a little further as I have already got this part separated into different tables as it is. The problem I think I am going to encounter with this whole thing is that they will probably end up expecting the tracking to operate like M$ Word. But thanks for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation