12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Why do graphics look pixaled after simply DVE within sequence?

jimvt Level 1

Another newbie question - again, searched forums without a hit.

I've put a few static images (scans of press clippings) on the timeline and used the basic motion tab under effects controls to fly them in. The final size onscreen is less than their actual resolution, but they are becoming pretty hard to read - as if their resolution is being lowered somehow. Any clues on why a simply DVE move should lower apparent res so much?  Maybe I made a bad assumption that using a jpg for one generation would not be a problem?

I attached the original and the post-rendered images below.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Why do graphics look pixaled after simply DVE within sequence?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Looks like you're in draft preview mode. Click the button in your Program Monitor panel that looks like three circles organized like a Venn diagram. Select "high quality" from the options. Does that help?

Also, make sure that your Program Monitor "zoom" is set to 100%, and not something like Fit. I usually work at "Fit" display resolution, but when you're working with graphics it's a good idea to jump to 100% now and then to see what the scaling really looks like.

• 2. Re: Why do graphics look pixaled after simply DVE within sequence?
            jimvt Level 1

Colin,

I checked both items that you mentioned and they were not the problem. I actually see the degradation in the final exported full resolution video...in addition to seeing it on the program monitor, so it is really losing quality somewhere.

Are there any secret buttons on the effects control tab that might control the resolution of the effects rendering?

Jim

• 3. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
              jimvt Level 1

I seem to havce stumbled upon an answer. WHen I deleted the drop shadow from the effects control, the image immediately improved and was more readable after rendering. Seems like a program glitch to me!

• 4. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting, and good catch. I've noticed that some of the effects that modify a clip's alpha channel (as Drop Shadow would and does) can sometimes have unpredictable results when applied to certain kinds of footage. I don't have an explanation--I've just observed similar ill-effects as you. If you have Photoshop (or similar application), you should be able to open the graphic there, increase the canvas size so you have "nothing" around the graphic, and then apply a drop shadow there. At least with Photoshop files, you can import the PSD and Premiere will respect the "nothing" as an alpha channel and allow you to key the graphic over a background and keep the drop shadow in place.

• 5. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

As both you, and the OP, have observed, many artistic treatments for stills are better done in PS, as is any Scaling. With something like a Drop Shadow, one can even "animate" its Layer, if they Import_As>Sequence, so one has all Layers from the .PSD.

I do not let PrPro do any Scaling, if I can help it, and do most Styles, etc., in PS.

Not sure what the issue is with some of these "artistic" effects, but PS does a much better job by my eyes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why do graphics look pixaled after simply DVE within sequence?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For "press clippings," I usually add a little Threshold Adjustment in PS to punch up the ink on paper (especially typical garbage newsprint) a bit. Do not overdo it, as you do not want the text too "sharp" for Video - it will flicker with thin lines, especially horizontal lines.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                      jimvt Level 1

Thanks guys!  I was using an effect (DVE move) to bring these press clips on screen, so I figured PPro was already handling the file, ie, "what harm could a few more filters be?"  ;-)  In both cases I eventually brought the image to 100% scale (having done the inital image work in PS), so can't see why PPRO would harm anything, but it did.

I haven't even cracked open AE yet - not sure if that would handle these kinds of DVE, drop shadows, etc better than the effects built into PPRO. Isn't PPRO owned by the same people? Shouldn't the processing engines be of equivalent quality between their suite of products?  ;-)

Jim

• 8. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I haven't even cracked open AE yet - not sure if that would handle these kinds of DVE, drop shadows, etc better than the effects built into PPRO. Isn't PPRO owned by the same people? Shouldn't the processing engines be of equivalent quality between their suite of products?  ;-)

Oh yes, much better. AE is built precisely for this type of thing, eg. motion graphics. Over the past several years and versions of whichever NLE you use, more and more motion graphic functions have been built into the NLEs, but by and large, a dedicated application like After Effects is going to handle such tasks with much higher quality, at perhaps the expense of realtime previewing and a steeper learning curve. I think AE's strongest suit is its ability to do subpixel rendering--in other words, AE can create effects and movement using fractions of pixels versus whole pixels, which is what Premiere does. Think of an average DV image at 720x480 pixels--that's only 720 steps in one direction, and 480 in the other. Those may seem like small increments, but depending on your effect or type of motion (for example, a really slow slide), the result can be a bit "chunky", and not good chunky like peanut butter. After Effects, on the other hand, can subdivide those steps into even smaller steps and create exponentially smoother looking effects and motion.

In most cases, animating using Premiere's controls will get you by, but if you're looking for really high quality motion, start playing around with AE. You'll find it hard to go back to Premiere for animation.

• 9. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Colin. Though many of the individual apps in the various Adobe suites do offer some features from the others, going to the "source" is almost always better. PrPro can do some things with still images, but PS is still the program to use, especially for critical work. Same with vector images. PS does some, but AI is the go-to. AE is the program to use in this case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                            jimvt Level 1

Thanks Hunt and Colin. Appreciate the advice. Didn't know about the subpixel rendering done in AE. I'm coming from over a decade on - are you ready? - Media 100 and Boris for EFX. So this is all new territory. As soon as I get the brand new Coer i7 PC I just built running - having some problem getting the GFX working - I will have the hoirsepower to begin learning AE. I can;t even load AE on my current overburdened laptop (core Duo w/ 2GB ram) because it has no more room on the HD.

Again, thanks!

Jim

• 11. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have not seen Harm Millard's great article on I/O sub-systems for NLE computers, you must check that out for your new rig. If you need the link to that article, let me know and I'll get it for you. Should be required reading for anyone building/buying an NLE machine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Why do graphics look pixelated after simply DVE within sequence?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Heck, I was just being lazy and for no good purpose. Here's his ARTICLE.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful