4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 10:42 AM by Printer_Rick

CMY Profiling

stalisman

Hi folks,

I am working with a dye sublimation printer that has only C, M and Y film with no K.

I want to create an ICC profile for it.

However, the Eye One XT Kit that I use is unable to produce anything but a CMYK profile and with Under Colour Removal I get a K plane of data that I can't use.

Can you guys advise me of an alternative solution I can chase?

• 1. Re: CMY Profiling
          Lou Dina Level 3

Stalisman,

I'm not familiar with your profiling package.  However, most higher end profiling packages allow you to create CMYK profiles with "Max Black" at one extreme, to "No Black" at the other.  I'd have to check Monaco Profiler, since I never built a CMY profile without black ink using it, but I know for sure that ProfileMaker Pro will build CMY profiles without any black ink.

Or, if you don't want to spend the money, you can hold your nose and use Photoshop's Custom CMYK, using the "None" setting (ie, no black ink in the separation).  If you go that route, you will have to play with the settings to get reasonably close on color and density.  I guess it depends on how accurate you need to be.  A profiling package is a better way to get accurate color.

Have you checked to be certain your software doesn't offer a preset or other way to eliminate black ink from the CMYK separation?

Lou

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CMY Profiling
            stalisman Level 1

Hi Lou,

The package I have is from X-rite, it's quite easy to use being wizard driven, I suppose they have pitched it for the most common usage.

I have looked and certainly can't find the options I want.

What you are suggesting makes sense, I'll take a look at ProfileMaker Pro.

On the other hand I was wondering if it would make sense to write a little program that would add the K value back into each of the CMY for each pixel?

Cheers

Stalis

• 3. Re: CMY Profiling
              Lou Dina Level 3

Stalis,

Your profiling package probably doesn't support CMY profiles without using black ink, and also probably has limited options for controlling black generation.  Unless you plan on doing a LOT of profiling, both Monaco Profiler and ProfileMaker Pro are quite expensive.  They are also fairly old programs and getting a 'bit long in the tooth'.  If you just need to build a few profiles, it would be much more cost effective to buy them from a reputable service.

I build RGB and CMYK profiles (with different black generation options) all the time, but having said that, I have never profiled a dye-sub printer or built a production profile without using black ink.  So, this is a bit out of my realm of experience.

It might be worth trying "Custom CMYK" in Photoshop.  Hey, it's free and you can test it out to see if you get decent results or not.  I have never even printed to a dye sub printer, so perhaps it is capable of accepting RGB or CMYK data and converting it to the proper data stream on the fly.  Or is it driven by a RIP?  You may wish to do a Google search on profiling dye sub printers.

Good luck.

Lou

• 4. Re: CMY Profiling
                Printer_Rick Level 4

Years ago we used Fuji Pictro Color Match which was dye-sub. But we did not send post script to it, and the printer was not ICC driven. The color was based on standard film output and Fuji Color Art proofs. There was curve control, but no color management.

We sent normal CMYK data (tiffs) to this device from our RIP, we did not remove black first.

What kind of printer specifically are you using?

stalisman wrote:

On the other hand I was wondering if it would make sense to write a little program that would add the K value back into each of the CMY for each pixel??

You could use channel mixer in Photoshop to literally map all black to CMY, but that is not ICC. Or you could take Lou's suggestion and create either a GCR or UCR custom profile in Photoshop with no black at all.

Neither of these make sense however. If you have a post script printer, the output should have a predefined ICC color space, RGB or CMYK. You should be able to print using that and not worry about removing black channel information. The printer will convert to CMY on its own.

This process is similar to many "RGB" ink jet printers. Of course there is no such thing as an RGB printer, you cannot print with light. The printer driver takes the RGB output and converts to CcMmYKk.